I Will Need a Daily Driver... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

I Will Need a Daily Driver...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by UroTrash, Oct 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Mine's candy red and only comes with a 1 year waranty... I think they know I'm going to wreck it!

2. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    996 C2.......or a 993C2S.....but for reliability sake just get the 996..only other thing id consider would be the elise or maybe a damn M3 but those are so girly now..

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I tested the new 3 and 5 cars. Nice. But then I drove the C55. Man, you can't beat that rocket V8!

Dale

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #79 UroTrash, Oct 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Make sure you get the most important accessory:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well Doc, after driving 150 miles home, in the rain, it occurs to me that some of your consultants have been leading you astray. As I recall, unlike some of your consultants, you already have a sports car. Indeed, you also own some motorcycles. Finally, as I recall, your question was about a daily driver.

Yes, you want something a little engaging, which rules out the Lexus. However, trust me on this, you don't want something that is too engaging, which rules out the Porsche.

Just to give one example, Porsches are loud. If you don't believe me call someone who is driving a Porsche on their cell phone. You probably will only be able to hear every other word. It is the type of thing that you don't notice when you drive a car for fun. But when you're headed home to mama, I don't know whether it is the wind noise or the tires, but 911s are loud.

So this leaves you with either a Bimmer or an AMG. The regular Benzs are warmed over K cars. However, the AMG cars are what MB used to be.

Either one of these two or just go for an Enzo Caddy. You know a 69 drop top in red in which you can go cruising down the road in your new yawk brim...

Dale

6. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Yup Dale, thats the reality. Day in and day out, late at night or the middle of the night, prob don't want the car to be too engaging. Maybe I should get a big boy car.

I've had 2 MBs, a 240D and a 230SL, both good in their way, but a MB might not play so well with the clientèle around here (I know, neither would the Porsche!), so the circle is complete, right back to a nice white 335i coupe.

Speaking of which...my new partner has been in the habit of leasing everything; computers, ultrasounds, cars, everything.

I've always been a cash up front guy.

He's a smart guy, even got a real MBA. It's his practice I'm joining. He suggest waiting til I start and then leasing a car of my choice thru the LLC. I guess thats what I'll do.

Lease payment is wide open as each doc's lease goes on their side of the ledger so there's no animosity about any differential.

the good part is my first stop of the day, each day, will be .8 miles from my house at the transcriptionist's house, then the ~40 mile round trip after that so it should be about 95% deductible.

7. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    what about a DB7?

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    AM vantage, M3, m5, 308gt4,456

9. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    I like the 911 suggestion as well. The cayman S has been getting a fine reputation as well. (if you don't need the jump seats out back)

An Audi RS4 looks interesting too..(if you want four doors and AWD)

Good luck

JB

10. Mike J

Mike J Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Ship Bottom, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Used CTS-V, fun, understated, great value.

Or a 2000 540 with 6 speed, great looks, performance and a beautiful car to boot.

The 996 is the worst assembled 911 in Porsche's history. I am a huge Porsche guy, but man do I dislike that car.

11. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    #86 134282, Oct 28, 2006
    Remind me a in month to post an update of this odometer reading (taken this morning around 4:15 a.m.)...

12. kjtar

kjtar Rookie

May 16, 2004
    Tulsa, OK USA
    Full Name:
    Thomas A Reynolds
    It's an older car, more visceral, but as dependable as a 964 (which it is) once they're properly sorted. Car? Porsche 911 RSAmerica, built in '93 and '94. See www.rsamerica.com for details, listings, etc. It's what I'd probably get as a fun car if my discretionary income were large enough. Not that many around, but you can probably pick one up for around $35-$40 or so K. If you don't want to "stir the gears yourself" you might think about getting a nice 968 cabrio with Tiptronic. OTOH, IIRC, you said your daily commute was to be 30 miles each way? In that case, maybe you'd be pililng up too many miles for either of these choices...that's 300 miles/week x 52=15,600/year. But, certainly for the RS (and maybe a bit less for the 968) you'd get your money's worth.
    Just thinkin'
    You might also consider a Cobra R. Or one of the performance variants made in the mid to late '90s by SLP Engineering (Camaro Z28 SS or Firehawk).

Tom
    Tulsa

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I have never liked titatium or grey, but I gotta admit that it is a great slealth color for the C55. Apparently, white is one of the most visible colors to spot at a distance. I don't know why this might be relevant.

Sounds like a plan, not that I'd know anything about that.

14. rovingardener

rovingardener Karting

Aug 17, 2005
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D
    You might consider a VW Passat, GLI, or GTI of the latest generation. They are comfortable low cost road erasers, the Passat being only slightly larger than the GLI; also, will not really make the clientele flinch, and that seems to be a realistic consideration.

15. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Welp, I bought a car but I'm not saying what because I know what kind of abuse I'll take for it. My back and neck are very happy.....

16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Uro brought a Yugo. Uro brought a Yugo. Uro brought a Yugo.

Dale

17. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Uro, if you bought it, it must be a good car........ after all the advice - you owe us ------ spill it

18. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Without even coming down here to check out the Elises...?!?

19. carless

carless Formula Junior

May 20, 2005
    So. Ca.
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #94 carless, Nov 1, 2006
  20. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #95 UroTrash, Nov 1, 2006
    OK, let the abuse begin.

In my defense:

268 hp, 280 lb-ft torque.

Brakes and steering have been corrected from my previous V70.

2005, certified, 17K miles, they GIVE these things away.

Oh, my back and neck are in heaven, best seats in the universe. If you don't believe me you have never driven 6 hours in one.

Oh shut up.

21. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Going from a 911 to an S80 is an...interesting process.

But you have other sports cars.

And I've come to appreciate having a daily beater that you don't care about rock chips, door dings, road rash, etc. etc. Let the Volvo take the daily abuse, that's what they are built for. Comfort counts for a lot, you may not want to deal with a 911 after a bad day.

So good choice, doc. Good luck in your new practice.

EDIT: btw, what's considered "giving" it away? Did you buy or lease it?

22. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    $26K.

They were asking $32K. A Buy-it-now comp on eBay did it (no longer listed).

This thing is like brand new, but with a much better warranty.

I actually financed it, 24 months at 0.9%.

Hard to pass that up.

So, I am now officially a debtor.

23. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    A Volvo is a nice choice, good job

24. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Uro,

Good job....... and smart choice.

I really didn't know where you were going with the 911 idea. I think you'll be much happier with this as a daily driver.

Now go find a great weekend car - Need some help? lol

25. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Congrats! They do have great seats.

Wouldn't have thought to even suggest one as I assumed you allready had one tucked away somewhere...aren't they handing these out now upon board certification?? :)