Toyota Soarers | FerrariChat

Toyota Soarers

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Jimbo49, Oct 25, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jimbo49

Jimbo49 Formula 3

Aug 5, 2004
    Geelong, Australia
    Full Name:
    James
    Anyone know much about them? Im thinking about replacing my Camry in the next year or so with a Soarer. 2.5, automatic IJZGTE..
    Any problems with the engine or anything i should know about?
    Are they a good car or should i think about something else?

2. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The 1jz is a good engine. It's the predecessor to the famous 2jz. The only real problem that the 1jz has is that the ct12a turbos tend to go after 14psi. If you're simply daily driving it won't be an issue. If you plan on modding it I'd go for a single turbo or upgraded twin setup. Transmission should be good for hp in the high 300's.

As for the rest of the car the Soarer (Lexus is300 here in the states) is a solid buy with excellent reliability and comfort. Was it sold officially by Toyota in Australia? If so, you shouldn't have any issues with parts.

If you want more information on the 1jz than you ever wanted to know, go to Supraforums.com, register and start looking at the 1jz/2jz subforum of the Supra MKIII section. PLENTY of information in there.

3. Simba

Simba Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    The 1JZ is a good engine, though considerably less torquey than the 2JZ. They're both built with the same crazy Lexus casting methods, and hence extremely strong.

If you're going to keep the slushbox, and plan to build any kind of power above stock, get the biggest tranny cooler you can fit in there and have some stronger plates put in.

4. cletus

cletus Karting

Feb 7, 2006

5. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew

6. Jimbo49

Jimbo49 Formula 3

Aug 5, 2004
    Geelong, Australia
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks for the input guys. I've been in a few soarers, and they seemed like a pretty solid cruiser with a decent ammount of power. I've always been a fan of the 1jz & 2jz engines. Here in australia there are a reasonable ammount of them, so spare parts is not an issue. Plus they're different to skylines and wrx's that everyone seems to have.

As is already mentioned the turbo's seem to be a problem if the boost is wound up. This is most likley due to the turbine blades being ceramic (if i remember correctly)
    Toyota's seem to be a pretty well built car, so im hoping i shouldnt have any issues with it. And i'm driving a 99 maual camry at the moment, so i think i'll probably stick with the brand.

7. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Yes, the turbine blades are indeed ceramic. But there are plenty of options and upgrades to go if you were serious about extracting more power out of the 1jz.

A basic BPU-style (Intake, exhaust, downpipe, probably a high-flow cat, boost controller) setup should yield some considerable gains and still maintain reliability of the turbos. I'd say start with that and see where you want to go.

8. Simba

Simba Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    Yup, the non-us turbos are ceramic and like to grenade under high boost.

The usual fix is to either swap a 2JZ in with USDM steel turbos, make a 1.5JZ with a 2JZ head and turbos, or just go single.

9. Jimbo49

Jimbo49 Formula 3

Aug 5, 2004
    Geelong, Australia
    Full Name:
    James
    You guys seem all very knowledgable, cheers:) will save up abit more then we'll see how things go

10. crazynova23

crazynova23 Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Wow, I didn't know Fchat would be this knowledgeable about the Soarer... Thats awesome though.

11. kjtar

kjtar Rookie

May 16, 2004
    Tulsa, OK USA
    Full Name:
    Thomas A Reynolds
    Actually, I'm thinking of getting a (U.S.) SC300. They were imported with 5 speed sticks from '92-'97. I actually drove one when I lived in Arizona. I found it to be a nice car, middle of the road as far as performance, kind of like a modern day Fiat 124 Sport Spyder in that it wasn't very sharp edged, the gear change throw was a bit on the longish side, it leaned a bit on the corners, etc. But, with a bit of tuning, I'm sure it could be made into a really nice handling car, and the quality is certainly there. The only thing I've heard about them that might cause a small amount of caution is that the power steering pump tends to leak after a while, and when it does, it leaks onto the alternator, so it could conceivably go south as well...but no recall history in the U.S. that I could find, and a very (to me) attractive and well styled body (inside and out). Now if I could only find one that hasn't been turned into a rolling boom box or turbo-ed.
    Rgds,
    Tom Reynolds
    Tulsa, OK

12. Jimbo49

Jimbo49 Formula 3

Aug 5, 2004
    Geelong, Australia
    Full Name:
    James

Interesting. I will be looking for a stock one, with no mods whatsoever. Better if it's a 2.5tt owned by an old lady who accidently ticked the turbo option and only drove it to the supermarkets:D
    i can be hopefull

13. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #13 PAP 348, Oct 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Here are some pics of a Soarer my friend was going to buy for AU$26K. Apparently has a 500KW engine. Spent nearly AU$100K on the car. My friend drove it and said it didnt feel like it had 500KW. It wasnt a fast car he said. Was an automatic. He also couldnt go that far for a drive, as the front spoiler was removed for painting. Stonechips ect......He did not buy the car because the owner seemed really fishy about it all. Have you seen this around Jimmy? In magazines ect from last year? Has won lots awards and crap like that. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. mls

mls Karting

May 1, 2005
  15. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    What an odd looking car. I looks like those blue sections in the engine bay are removable covers or something?

What are the specs on the motor? What Turbo is he running?

The interior is ghastly! I'm all for modifications and all but sheesh!

16. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Hello. I dont remember the exact engine specs/turbo/internals sorry mate. But it was supposed to be big HP, but my friend wasnt convinced. :) They were fibreglass removeable covers. They were only in there for the shows. Too hot to leave them in there he said. :p Alot of money spent on it. Not all in good taste.

17. Jimbo49

Jimbo49 Formula 3

Aug 5, 2004
    Geelong, Australia
    Full Name:
    James

Saw that the other evening on Carsales Pap.. nasty looking thing. Too many mods, too untasteful. All im looking at is a daily driver with maybe some simple mods. My mates friend has one that we went in, and it seemed allright. Not so much a handling car, more a fast comfortable cruiser.

18. Simba

Simba Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    Well, there's yer problem. ;)

19. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

How much does he want for it now? :)

20. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Part of the problem.......yes. :):)

21. cletus

cletus Karting

Feb 7, 2006
    if i had some $$ and time i would build a 5 speed sc300 with a single turbo 2jz......black on black on black. i love the body style, a little o the heavy side, but would make for a nice touring car with about 400hp to the rears.......ahhhhhh one can dream!!

22. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Dreams can come true if you work hard towards them. :):)

23. Jimbo49

Jimbo49 Formula 3

Aug 5, 2004
    Geelong, Australia
    Full Name:
    James
    Yeah it all depends upon the job. My work is being stupid at the moment and giving me zilch for hours. Im not caring so much at the moment because of exams and going to have my wisdom teeth out. But after that i intend to work my butt off, depending upon wether i get work or not

24. redjeeper

redjeeper Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Flowood, MS
    Full Name:
    Anthony Griffin
    You can go to www.clublexus.com and look under the SC300/400 forum and find more info than you ever wanted to know.