Gigabyte GA-7n400L help | FerrariChat

Gigabyte GA-7n400L help

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by thecarreaper, Oct 29, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i am confused. my MB manual says on page 19

" when dual channel technology is activated the bandwidth of the memory bus will be double the original one. with the fastest speed at 6.4GB (DDR400)

i have 2 Kingston 1G sticks and 2 Kingston 512mb sticks.

i followed the DIMM map and can only get it to boot with the following config:

dimm 1 = 1G
    dimm2 = empty
    dimm 3=empty
    dimm4 =1G

i also tried it this way and it would run, but only see 2.0 G of ram

d1=1g
    d2=1g
    d3=512mb
    d4=512mb

i read the part where you cannot install two memory modules in the same channel (A vs B ) and get the dual channel feature to work.

question : what is the significance of the orange and purple dimm colors?

why when i click properties am i only showing the 2.0g, when it says above the memory is doubled in dual channel mode?

should i try this next? :

dimm1=1g
    dimm2=512mb
    dimm3=1g
    dimm4=512mb

is the dual bandwith referring to what the pc "sees" internally, as in it only shows 2.0 g but its using it at 4.0g ?

how the heck do i get it to run at a max of 6.4GB???

i have seen nothing else in the BIOS or the manual.

i am thinking that 1.5 gig in channel A (dimm 1, + dimm 2) + 1.5 in channel B ( dimm 3, + dimm 4) will equal the 3.0 gigs doubled to 6.0

However, the chart specifies double sided versus single sided RAM???

does that mean it only has chips on one side??? where the hell do you buy single sided ram???

thanks

2. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
  3. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Hey Michael: two different concepts.

Doubling the bandwidth is not the same as doubling the memory size. Bandwidth is the speed those bits are flying across the MB. There's no magical motherboard magic to double your memory size (although I've got a special cream I can sell you for four installments of $49.95 each - VISA/MC accepted :D)

I'm far from a h/w expert - but am guessing there's a separate 400MB/s (3.2Gb/s ?) path for each pair of memory sticks (for so-called 2x the bandwidth). Every manufacturer has different specs on how memory can be paired up. You may, worst case, need to have all four slots filled with the same sticks. But try our your other options first - as you say, maybe d1/d3 or d1/d4 need to match.

4. Der Meister

Der Meister Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2005
    Glendora/Prescott
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Well either way it will down clock itself. Most Mobos don't like having all 4 slots full, and when they do they in this case will not run at ddr400 but ddr333. Yes i would try the last one. It like matching pairs of ram eg. 512 with 512 and 1g with 1g.

if you need more help i'll be around and you can get me and many other here.

http://www.hothardware.com/forum

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thanks for the help, it makes sense to use the last dimm config. i just got home from a long day playing with cars. i will play with the PC tomorrow.

thank you.