American Nurburgring | FerrariChat

American Nurburgring

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by TheBigEasy, Oct 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Where in the USA would be the best spot for a "Nurburgring" style public track... East Coast? West Coast? Both?

Also, could it even be done legally? I am not sure if the insurance laws are different there than they are here.

Would be fun though... :)

2. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    The first place that comes to mind is somewhere in the great Smokey Mountains. Very unlikely this would ever happen except on a private closed course race facility. Getting insurance for public road use for high speed amatuer driving would be near impoosible.

3. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Pennsylvania/West Virginia. Terrain and trees look a lot like the Eifel.

4. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

How about the long course at VIR like Car and Driver has suggested? My favourite track in North America.

I think, though, that we'd need something even faster and far more dangerous, so that we could use this exercise to weed out the less-talented.

5. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    There are lots of areas throughout the country with enough rolling hills for something like that. The Kettel Moraine region of southern Wisconsin, home to Road America, has a lot of nice winding, undulating roads. Plus, the Brat Stop is nearby:)

6. BlackRX7Turbo

BlackRX7Turbo Karting

Sep 18, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Does anyone have any of their personal lap times at VIR on the grand course to compare to the times that Car and Driver posted?

I'd love to know how some of the drivers here (particularly with Ferraris, but any car is great) do compared to the C&D drivers with those cars on the Grand Course.

7. bboxer

bboxer Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2001
    Funny you should ask. when the government closed Fort Ord north of the Monterey peninsula, some of us who raced at Laguna Seca joked about the wild prospect of linking LS with a road course through the hills of the old military facility. We figured more than 10 miles could easily be added. Someone should propose this to Donald Rumsfeld since he "owns" the place.

8. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    I've done a 2:48 in a Lola Sports 2000, but I think the "Grand Course East" is cruddy, fiddly and slow...

A very good, National VW GTI VR6 (Showroom Stock B) time is 3:17.
    Spec Miata record is 3:11.
    ITA record (CRX Si 2nd gen) is 3:09.
    ITS E36 BMW 325i record is 3:04.
    My E Prod Alfa GTV will do 3:04.
    A top Formula Ford will do a 2:55.
    Kenny Hawkins WC GT Viper did a 2:50 and the course record (for amateurs) is Dan McBreen's Radical SR4 CSR at a 2:39.4

The Full Course (3.27-miles) is hailed by folks like Andy Wallace, Boris Said (he should know) and James Weaver as being pretty close to an "American Nurburgring."

-Peter (designer of the beginning of the North Course cut-through and the South Course return onto the Full Course)

9. Ferrari_lvr

Ferrari_lvr Formula Junior

May 28, 2006
    Anywhere that looked like the Eiffel Mountains. They are beautiful, but not likely that it would have a centuries old castle watching over it. That would be very cool. I would go, especially if it was a great track. I don't mean some 2 and a half miler either, 14 miles or walk. Hahahaha.

10. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Somewhere here in the Phoenix, AZ area, that way I can hang out there every day :D

Seriously I think Colorado would be a hell of an area for something like this. Running through the Rocky Mountains...wow.

11. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    A GT Viper is only 5 seconds faster than an FFord???

12. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Yep. Let's look at a Road Atlanta comparison.

Justin Pritchard has the FF record set in the March 2004 National race at a 1:30.5 and Tommy Archer has the WC GT record in his Viper from this year at a 1:26.4 (and the time set at VIR by the Viper was by the guy that qualified last at this year's WC GT race at Atlanta!)

115 bhp and momentum versus 450 bhp and brute force...

-Peter (sorry to veer OT)