What was the most drastic change you ever made in your life... | FerrariChat

What was the most drastic change you ever made in your life...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Ryan S., Nov 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    been thinking about making some huge changes in my life so i was just curious if anyone else has come to a major fork in their road of life...

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #2 PAP 348, Nov 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    i'm coming up on one in about 1 month, right now though i don't really want to talk about it, since i haven't decided 100%, but after the decision is made, then i will post my reactions.

4. rollsorferrari?

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    lol, isn't that fifty cent?

5. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    lol, new someone would do that...

6. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
  7. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I had quite a change in a very short amount of time.... I was born and raised in Houston, TX. The beginning of my senior year of high school, my dad sold his company and we found and bought a new house in Rancho Santa Fe in San Diego (a little over twice as big as the current Houston house) and we moved the day after I graduated. So my world got turned upside down in a HURRY. Oh and we got the Ferrari too. :cool: It's been almost 4 years now, and when I think back to the Houston days, it seems like a completely different world and a distant memory.

8. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Your Dad must have done well selling his business. :) Good work. :)

9. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I switched to Decaff once.

Worst 20 min of my life!

10. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Ain't to shabby.....:eek::eek:

He earned it though, it was 12 years or so in the making. :cool:

11. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    1 - moved to Los Angeles from Miami on 18th birthday with $800 in my pocket with no job lined up and not knowing a single soul in the new city. Slept in car for a looong time.

2 - Broke up with fiance after 5 years together..had a house and cars in both our names as well as bank accounts... I just woke up one day and realized I wasnt 'in love' with her anymore. She threw my computer through the windshield of the brand new M3

3 - Spent every dollar I had and borrowed every dollar I could to start a toy manufacturer...with ZERO experience in the toy industry

4 - Last month sold above toy manufacturer after 5 years of steady growth to day trade for a living :)

You only live once... I say risks are there for the taking !

J

12. M3-ADDICT

M3-ADDICT Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2006
    NOVA
    Gave every penny of my bank account to Nissan Finance so I could own a sport car at age 18. I bought my 350Z :). Now I don't have any money in my bank account but a guffy smile on my face every morning I see my car key next to my bed.

13. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

I did the exact same thing at 25yrs old when I bought my 348. Every morning I wake up and see my Ferrari key next to my bed. :p:p

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    For me it was getting engaged and buying a house this past Sept.

I am 38 and have never been married OR lived anywhere else since I was 4.

(and no, I'm not a loser who still lives at home with mom and dad.)

15. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Sorry Dr. T, you're going to have to provide more explanation than that.

I'll formulate some possibilities:
    1. As a child prodigy, your rental property income was so high, the profits allowed you to purchase your own home at age 4.
    2. You were such an extraordinary hellraiser that your parents purchased a 2nd home for you to live in so they wouldn't be exposed to you any more than necessary. :)
    3. While you were away at Dental school, your parents packed up and moved to Montana to enjoy the mild summers. You came home to a note and the title to the home. :D

I can go on all day....

16. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS

ARE YOU FRACKING INSANE???

17. rollsorferrari?

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    well, ill give this a try. in about 1 month, i am going to be taking some time off from college and going out to the real world to see what i can find. i have no clue what i'll be doing, where i'll go, but i'm giving some thought to hop in my car and head up to chicago for a while. i know my parents will support me, (not financially, though) in whatever i choose to do, but for about the past year i've been getting really burnt out on school and need to find out what else is out there for me.

18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Alright, here's how it worked out:

Me, Mom and Dad moved into my little house back in the early 70's. Mom and Dad get divorced in 82 when I start high school and Dad moves away to TX. Mom and I stay there. I finish high school and enroll at UAB here in town (actually about 2 miles from H.S.) I live at home because I have a really cool mom and it saved $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. The money we saved actually helped us pay the house off very early. I was accepted to Dental School at the same University so no moving away. Mom remarried 6 months before I start Dental School and moves in with her new husband so now I am "home alone" in the same paid-off house. I finish Dental School and buy a practice here in town. My house is basically free so I stay there while I pay off the practice as fast as I can. Being single with no car or house payment meant I was able to pay $475,000 plus interest back (school loan included) in 8 1/2 years in full.
    That was last Nov actually.

So now at 38 I am engaged and moving. That's a pretty big change for me.

(whew)

19. NoTorq

NoTorq Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Having a baby. Well, technically my wife had him but I was "involved". Now we have another one coming in a few weeks. I imagine having the second will be another drastic change.

I'm kinda surprised no one said kids yet. I guess it's not that big a deal to some folks!

20. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I knew you were going to say that, but I didn't want to bring up the subject until you were ready to talk about it. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do. Sometimes the best adventures in life are the ones in which you have no real "plan" to start with.

Edit: Might leave the Cards hat at home for a bit, Scott. Those Cubs fans can be mean! ;)

21. dongerdude

dongerdude Formula 3

Mar 17, 2006
    Full Name:
    Carl
  22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Would be to me. I still don't have any.

23. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Not trying to burst your bubble, but I think you'll be sorry. It's easier to keep going to school than to go back, and some day you will want to go back.

24. lawandorder360

lawandorder360 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NE Ohio
    I recently moved to Boston with my mom and stepdad after living in the same area for 14 years...

The hardest part though is that I had to leave my dad and my stepmom behind in Cleveland, so now I only see them (and my 11 month old brother) once or twice a month.

I absolutely hate it here, and always count the days until I visit next, and count the days until I leave high school...after being in the same place for 12 years with lots of friends, I move to where I don't know ANYONE.

I'm still trying to deal with it three months later.

25. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Read the Road Trip Nation books, they have many cases of people who discuss experiences like that where you unplug from the system for a few months and then come back with an idea or goal for your life. Then come back and finish school in something that fits your new goal or interest.

My most drastic change was leaving a small blue collar town in Canada right after turning 16 to go to a boarding school in New Zealand. It was the best thing that had happened to me until that point in my life and set me on a course that I couldn't have dreamt about at 15.