308 Stainless steel brake lines frustration! | FerrariChat

308 Stainless steel brake lines frustration!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Birdman, Nov 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hi Gang,
    After searching the archives and contacting Demon Tweeks in the UK to order stainless brake lines for my 1977 USA spec 308 GTB, I was told by DT that they could not send me lines unless I removed the front lines from my car and sent them over. They claim that they have had issues with the USA cars being "different" from the Euro cars and their lines not fitting. What is different about the damned brake lines between Euro and USA spec cars for crying out loud?

Obviously, the front lines are ON my car and I don't really want to send them to England, only to have no car for who knows how long. Also, even if its over the winter, I'm hesitant to remove (possibly destroying in the process) my rubber lines without having a replacement available yet.

Does anyone have an old pair of USA spec brake lines I can borrow? I will send them to England, have them sent back with the order, and hopefully Demon Tweeks will be forever "clued in" about what to send to the USA for 308 brake lines. I will pay shipping and return the lines.

Thanks in advance.

Birdman

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Did you search on "Goodrich" ss lines?

IIRC, there was a huge amount of confusion on the proper flare angle on someone's car..Greg328?..and after copper sealing washers were used it was determined they were made wrong or something......

Maybe check with Ricambi and see if he has ss or just go back with new OEM rubber ones.......

3. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I do. I have my old rubber lines in a box. Not sure why they need to measure them--the 308 pattern is well-known. I replaced them w/ Goodrich SS lines. Got 'em from Carobu in CA. Have you tried them?

PM me your address and they're on the way.

Mine's a 77 308 GTB USA like yours, btw!

Greg

EDIT--BT is right, I had an issue with the Goodrich having the wrong flare shape inside the fitting. A little copper washer fixed it.

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have a real hard time believing two different styles on 1977 cars for the markets...must have been a vendor change, at some calendar point in time..

Let's find a US vendor to do some.

5. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Greg,
    I have not tried Caribou. I will give them a call. Pain in the butt to deal with the Brits anyway! ;-) I would rather buy them from a U.S. retailer just because it's easier and cheaper. Demon Tweeks is where a lot of people got them in the past and their price is good, but the exchange rate kinda kills it. They sell Goodrich too.

Do you have a contact at Caribou?

Thanks

Birdman

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    In Sponsors List.....pulldown above........

7. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    I had the same thing happen with Demon Tweeks last winter- but my car is a euro!

I got them from Stevson Motors- I think about $80US delivered. They have the stainless steel fittings also if you want them for an added cost.

http://www.stevsonmotors.co.uk/home.htm

I just emailed for a quote and called them and they sent Goodridge lines that had dates on them two days after I placed the order! No install isses at all.

I also have my old ones (euro 308 QV) if it helps at all, and would be glad to mail them to you.

With your car being a US car, this may not help you at all.....

8. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    OK, I e-mailed Carobu and I'm waiting for a response. Meanwhile, yesterday I e-mailed Orme Brothers (www.ormebrothers.com) which was another supplier listed in one of the previous threads, and here is their response:

Not a problem to make them, however, there is some discrepancy between the 308 GTS lines and the 309 GTB lines. They are the same configurations only different lengths. What we would need from you are the overall lengths of your 4 hoses. At that point it only takes a few minutes to build them and they run $109.96 for the set.

I'll wait to hear from Carobu first. Greg, do you mind measuring the length of your OEM hoses for me? We both have '77 GTBs so they should be the same as mine. Mine are in the car, so getting a good measurement of the length without pulling them out will be tricky. Not to mention I'll have to put the car on the lift, etc. etc.

Wiseman, thanks for the offer. Let me see how the U.S. sources stack up and then I'll decide if I have to go back to the UK for these. No need to pay for shipping from the UK if I can get them stateside.

Sheesh, what a pain in the arse for a set of brake lines! You would think one of these suppliers would write it down and file it for a rainy day! They have all made these for 308s before, why is it such a mystery how to to it again?

Birdman

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Hey, our sponsor Nick's Forza Ferrari has them too. Please give him a call! ;)

10. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Bird,

I ordered Goodridge S.S. lines for my former '84 Mondial QV two years ago from Demon Teaks. When I went to install the lines, I found that the front lines they sent me were 2" too short. They would not reach from the hard line to the caliper. Not even close. I put them side by side with the original lines, and it was clear that they were just too short. I took digital photos of both sets of lines, next to each other, and took pictures of the original lines against a tape measurer and emailed them to DT. After several back and forth emails, they finally agreed to send me new lines, if I returned the incorrect ones. Mailed them back, they sent me two new lines, and they fit perfectly. BTW, the rear lines in the kit fit perfectly, only the fronts were different.

My '84 QV was a Euro car, not a U.S. car. But I can't imagine that there is a difference in the brake lines, US vs. Euro. In the parts catalogues, the brakes appeared to be the same, suspension set up the same, same part numbers for the original brake lines. It is possible that the set they sent me was for a 308, and that those are, in fact, different from the Mondial. But that should not effect you with the 308.

You might want to try removing one of the front lines, taking a couple of digital photos, including at least one shown against a tape measure, and email them. Include the measured lenght of the original line in the email too. That way, they can check what they are sending you and be sure it is correct.

Hope that helps,
    Steve

11. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Dave-
    I didn't realize Nick has them. But he wants almost $200 for a set. Maybe I'll wait and see what Carobu says! (Carobu is a sponser to) No offense to Nick, he's cool and I have bought from him before. But $189 is about twice the price I was expecting.

Steve-
    I'll bet that's what is going on here. Some Mondial guy confused everyone! ;)

Birdman

12. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Birdman,
    I'll measure mine this evening and let you know..

Greg

13. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Birdman,

Just make sure it's not tea time when you try to contact them.:)

14. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Birdman,

Hey, I'm not a Mondial guy anymore, remember? I'm a full-fledged 308er (for whatever the hell that's worth... LOL). I have a vested interest in getting this straightened out, as one of the things I want to do over the winter is install S.S. brake lines on the 308. So please, let's figure this out and set Demon Tweaks straight on this so I get the right set for my '78 GTS.

Steve

15. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
  16. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I'm due too...so when this is figured out, I'll need to place an oreder as well.

17. jh355

jh355 Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Halluci-Nation
    Full Name:
    Craven Morehead
    There is a local vendor whom spent the money for the 3000 PSI DOT testing station (needed for compliance if the car is licensed for highway use). He does US and Metric sized, and quoted an initial price of around $40.00 per hose for SS / Teflon, with the plastic wrap on the outside. The only thing missing is the little Yellow “Goodrich” band.

If you need more info, or need someone to run interference for ya, PM me.

Best

JH

18. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Sounds like what we need to do is find a vendor that knows his proverbial butt from his elbow and get a volume discount!

Birdman

19. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    If this helps...my US '78 GTS has 17" fronts with about 1/2" thread on either end, and 12" rears with about 1/2" thread on either end.

Henry

20. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I can't understand why there is a problem...

Surely, in the good ol' U S of A, you can get anything done....

I've never had a problem getting them made locally in the UK, nor since I've been in in Australia. Currently, they come with Australian design approval with plastic "anti chafe" covering and anti kink fitting at the crimped ends...

I have several sets in stock and there is NOT any difference between GTB/GTS... the only difference is in the bracket fitting.. which later QV's have a clip to hold them to the chassis, and earlier cars have a threaded fitting which is really awkward and slow to use.

I make all clip types as it's much more convenient and just convert the threaded type to clip mount.

The taper is shallow on originals, compared to a deeper taper on new ones... but it's only a problem if the originals have been overtightened previously... in that case.. just make new steel pipes or even just re-flare the end if possible..

21. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Birdman--These are also my measurements..

Greg

22. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    #22 jwise, Nov 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

So, on the QV cars you just cut a notch in the new lines to accept the old clips? I think I remember the opening in the clip was wider than any part of the new lines- but I could be wrong. I replaced mine (84 308 QV) and it originally had the clips, but I just used the threaded attachment that came on the new lines. I agree, it would have been easier to use the clips again.

I sure had easy access to those lines.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Thanks gang! Stand by for details.

Birdman

24. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    OK, I sent this info to orme brothers and I shall report back! Still haven't heard from Carobu, so I guess they snooze they lose!

Birdman

25. FasterIsBetter

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    When I got the Goodridge lines from Demon Tweaks, they had the notched fitting on them, with new clips to hold them into the bracket. They fit fine with the brackets on my '84 Mondial QV, which looked exactly like what's in your picture. If you send Demon Tweaks a digital pic of the lines, they will duplicate them perfectly (assuming you provide the measurements), and IIRC, the set for the 4 lines was only around $100US.

Steve