Nice roads in CO? | FerrariChat

Nice roads in CO?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by red1987F40, Nov 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. red1987F40

red1987F40 Karting

Sep 24, 2006
    Fort Collins, Co
    Full Name:
    Ricki W.
    HI ALL!

I bought a Lamborghini Gallardo a couple of weeks back and haven't got it past 90 yet. So I was wondering if anyone knows of any high-speed roads in the state of Colorado? I realise that there IS, unfortunatly, a speed limit on all roads in the country, but is there a road somewhere up in the mountains that is located out and away from the police authorities?

Thank you very much!
    Rick Weston

2. -AC

-AC Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 4, 2004
    Colorado
    you'll need to do this with a group of people.....

3. RedBarchetta

RedBarchetta Karting

Nov 3, 2006
    SF, CA.
    #3 RedBarchetta, Nov 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. starsh0t

starsh0t Rookie

Nov 7, 2006
    This might be risky because I've seen a few cameros patrolling the areas but I-70 once you get out of Denver heading west before Morrison has been my testing grounds. The 6 lanes last for a while and people are very good about staying away from the far left lane.

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    At least you have some good roads to choose from. Here in Florida, the roads are all pretty much clogged, straight, and boring. An associate of my dad's in Arizona used to live in Colorado and told me about a great area for driving their 328. I'll try to remember to ask them and let you know.
    :)
    BT (Bill Tracy)

6. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    We have great exotics, why waste them going in a straight line ? Colorado has some of the best twisty roads in the country, that's what these cars are designed for and you don't have to sweat tickets.

7. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you want to go straight and fast, any number of secondary roads on the plains will do. Just watch speeds in and around the little towns. For more challenging roads, you'll have to go into the mountains. Try some that follow rivers into the mountains. Farther afield, most secondary highways in the mountains are great for driving but many are now graveled up from recent snows. Get out there and explore!

Dave

8. red1987F40

red1987F40 Karting

Sep 24, 2006
    Fort Collins, Co
    Full Name:
    Ricki W.
    Thank you all for your posts! They have been a great help!

Now lets re-word the question:

Are there any mountain roads that are well known for being particulary fun? I don't mean the 15mph hairpin turn type, but the 25-30mph sweeping type. And when I say 15mph or 25-30 mph that is the "speed limit", but anyone who knows anything should know that speed limits are only a suggestion and should be ignored under normal circumstances. LOL!

If any of you know what European roads are like, you will know what I mean by this: I want to find 50-80 mph sweepers where the "suggested speed" (aka speed limit) is about 25-35mph

Thank you again for all your help!
    Rick W.

9. jmn

jmn Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    jmn
    For fun, try Clear Creek Canyon, Golden Gate Canyon, Coal Creek Canyon or almost any non-freeway road up into the mountains. Then again, if your goal is just to get your car over 90, anyplace will do- I've been over 150 on most, if not all the major roads in CO- I suspect most of the other Coloradans posting here have too. Were not exactly overwhelmed with enforcement here- just watch it near the small towns (and, as always, drive carefully).

10. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I haven't been on Independence Pass for a long time, but I think that would be a good road to "test" a car at. As for a high speed road away from the police authorities and close by I am not thinking of one right away.

11. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    Try 2nd gear. Better yet try posting a pic of "your" pretend Gallardo.

12. starsh0t

starsh0t Rookie

Nov 7, 2006
    Loveland to Estes Park HWY 34
    Lyons to Estes Park HWY 36
    Perhaps from Estes you can go towards Glen haven out back to HWY34. It's a fun little road.

Also the roads around Golden are fun due to lack of cops.

13. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
  14. red1987F40

red1987F40 Karting

Sep 24, 2006
    Fort Collins, Co
    Full Name:
    Ricki W.
    HA HA! Get off my post.

15. dreams_and_aspirations

Jul 15, 2006
    Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Today would have been perfect to cruise from Denver to Aspen (Independence Pass is closed for the season, but I second the recommendation of taking it...its just beautiful if nothing else).

I came back from dropping a friend off in Highlands Ranch today (got to stop at Ferrari of Denver for the first time! But it was because I got lost in that suburban hell and had no freak'n clue where I was...had to ask for directions lol) and had a blast driving back home.

Traffic was kind of heavy until I got past Idaho Springs (mainly due to it being rush hour) but after that, I cruised at around 75-80 mph the rest of the way, and that's in a Dodge freak'n Stratus!

Once you get past Idaho Springs, two places you need to really be on the look out for police will be when you exit the tunnel and coming down the pass, and when you are coming down Vail pass. Other then that, a good radar detector will keep you from having a bad day. Keep a eye on the road to, you'll come across some really nasty bits of pavement. One inpiticular is the right hand lane on east bound I70 right before you enter the tunnel, that pot hole is several feet wide, and at least two inches deep...not fun stuff.

Vail keeps two Patrol cars watching the highway as it passes through the valley, one just after the East Vail exit (some times one right after the Vail Village exit) and one right after the West Vail exit...those will be the last flashers you should see until Glenwood.

Coming through Gypsum and Dotsero, you should be able to hit some very impressive speeds, and then the real fun begins when you enter Glenwood Canyon!

If you come through Vail, I'll buy you a Martini (if you let me see your car lol)

16. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Since I have driven this road a lot throughout the last year, I would like to add some comments on the road from Denver to Glenwood. The road coming out of the tunnel going eastboand has some nasty holes, but police are always there wanting down below. Vail is guaranteed to have Police some where watching for speeders. As for the further police until Glenwood there is some times a sneaky one between Avon and Eagle. I agree you can get to some impressive speeds between Gypsum and Dotsero. Glenwood Canyon is where the real fun begins going west, but going east watch out for the police just outside of the canyon I have seen a lot of people get pulled over. I have only heard of one occasion that someone that got pulled over in the canyon for speeding and that was along time ago. I usually average at least 80 mph the whole way or about two hours worth of driving, if ski traffic isn't that thick.

17. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    My sources recommend Coal Creek Canyon. And don't fall for the posting a pic of you holding a sign saying 'I love Kitty Fishsticks' or something like that to prove you own a specific car....
    BT

18. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Head south from Grand Junction on 550. Turn west towards Gateway. Great road, little traffic, beautiful scenery, and the car museum in Gateway is a good break. Then head south towards Uravan, Naturita. VERY little traffic until you get to Placerville. Then loop back through Ridgway and Montrose on 550. Don't push your luck on 550...too much traffic and surveillance.

19. 308SYSTEMS

308SYSTEMS Karting

Dec 16, 2003
    Hwy 14 across North Park(between Ft. Collins and Steamboat), fairly flat, rolling hills with views to die for, sweeping curves, and I have only seen one patrolman in 30 years. Regular speeds of 80-90, many areas amenable to 100+..... It would be hard to design a better high speed run, and Steamboat as a destination is the icing on the cake.

Mark

20. red1987F40

red1987F40 Karting

Sep 24, 2006
    Fort Collins, Co
    Full Name:
    Ricki W.
    Thaks for ALL the replies guys!

21. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike

red1987f40,

Are you lying about your Gallardo ownership?

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125794

Remember, you don't have to be an owner to be welcome here. But please don't lie. If I'm wrong, I'll eat my hat.

Please see:
    ATTENTION FIRST-TIME POSTERS - PLEASE MAKE A GOOD ENTRANCE!
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113194

22. -AC

-AC Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 4, 2004
    Colorado
    Mike if you would have joined us this past saturday you would have meet Rick and his Dad driving the new Gallardo. We had a nice little drive with them up and back from Estse Park. The Gallardo sounds great, to bad you could not join us. Enjoy your hat.

23. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    308Systems has it right--NorthPark is a great place to play. Just be careful passing through Walden--25 means 25 and they are always waiting. Once out of town however, turn it loose!! Traffic is usually extremely light, there are several opportunities to go for the top end, and lots of medium to high-speed curves to enjoy. And of course, Steamboat is your reward at the end. Unfortunately, it is most likely too late in the season to do it without encountering tons of snow and ice now...

24. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike

I'm very happy to eat my hat! Here I am, eating my hat. Delicious (and embarassing!)

Rick, my apologies--that's why I didn't call an all and out onslaught! ;) I was just confused that there were at least two other people expressing concerns and you weren't addressing them. Plus you were going to wash my car for cheap :).

Glad you could join the "Estes" boys! Anthony's post ("AC") above is a bit aggressive but that's just his angst coming out about having a pink Porsche. :) :) :)

My contribution for great roads: Have a look at the roads going in and out of Creede, CO. Yes, that's Creede, CO. Enjoy!

--Mike
    Boulder, CO