Tips tips for Stebro owners | FerrariChat

Tips tips for Stebro owners

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike C, Nov 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    #1 Mike C, Nov 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    One of the great things I like about the Stebro exhaust on my Ferrari is that the resonated tips have removeable inserts, and I can take them out for the track and it *REALLY* sounds mean.

After a recent track event, I lost one of the inserts (my own fault), and decided to order a replacement set of 4 instead of just one, so I'd have some extras for the next time I do something similarly stupid.

The system for my 308QV comes with two short inserts and two long inserts... it was one of the long ones I'd lost. When the replacements came (I had them via ground shipping in just a week), I decided to replace the long inserts with short ones -- so I was using 4 short inserts -- to see if how it changed the sound. It's a very nice "in between" the normal Stebro sound and wide open without inserts.

They're not particularly expensive (and if you're an FCA member let them know and you get a 10% discount), so you might want to consider doing the same!

http://www.stebro.net/html/Default.aspx?PageMenuID=1224
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    what did you pay for yours? i have a stebro on my 80 308gtsi.

3. 78-308gt4

78-308gt4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    When I saw the title to this thread, I thought it meant "advice" for Stebro owners. ;-)

I'm considering a Stebro and am wondering what you guys think of them.

Thanks,
    Mike

4. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Yeah, I was trying to be cute -- instead of just saying "tips advice" I said "tips tips"!

I like the Stebro... I've also had their "euro resonator" in the past (test pipe) but now have a HyperFlow cat. Regardless, I love the sound of the Stebro exhaust, really like the advantage of the removeable tip inserts, and the price was reasonable compared to Tubi and others -- for me it's not worth paying the extra for a Tubi since all that mirror polishing they do wouldn't show on my car anyway. I also like that Stebro offers an FCA member discount.

Some folks have reported Stebro having delivery problems, but once someone gets their exhaust, they love it. But regarding the delivery issues, make sure you pay via credit card just in case.

5. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    i love mine.

6. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    What did I pay for the exhaust, or for the tip-set? I paid $100 for the tipset delivered. I think I paid around $1200 for the exhaust, but it was a few years ago (I think their web price was $1325, then minus the 10% FCA member discount)... but I just looked at their website and their price is now MUCH higher -- I don't know when that happened! They used to be about HALF the price of a Tubi!

7. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    The customer service at Stebro is appaling. I would NEVER, EVER order anything from them again...Based on my personal dealings, Dan is one of the worst business persons I have ever dealt with... Be cautious!!!!!
    You will EVENTUALLY get your product or money back---EVENTUALLY!!!

8. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I love the sound of my Stebro, best modification I made to the car. It sounds to me like a race car instead of a sports car. Stebro has you over a barrel, unless you want to spend $1000 more for an Ansa. Just order & be patient, mine took about 60 days.
    Bill

9. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    and god forbid they send you the wrong muffler - YOU pay to send it back, wait another 2 months for a new one and another month after that to get your refund for the shipping costs - been there, done that!!

10. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Apparently he is starting to catch up to the rest of the market. Looks like a 308 exhaust is now up to $2500. Customer service is not his strong suit by a long shot that's for sure!!

11. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    IF his prices reach anywhere near what a Tubi or Capristo are----he will go out of business based on the customer service aspect alone...I believe the only reason he stays in business is because the prices are alot cheaper than anything else - the quality leaves alot to be desired also..

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Will also say I had a ferociously terrible experience with Stebro with multiple promised deliveries and nothing came each time as my car waited in the install shop costing me $$. I had to eventually go through the credit card company to get $$ back as they said they would refund but never did for months. You be the judge for yourself, but in my book,....

13. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Paid about $1500 for mine three years ago, might have even been a little less.

$2500 now. That's in ANSA's neighborhood.

Don't know what a Tubi would cost, I'd assume they're in the $3K range for my car.

I'm going to replace my exhaust with the ANSA unit in the spring. While I enjoy the sound the Stebro makes (It is loud and very racy sounding) it wears on me when I drive more than 1/2 hour or so. Plus, there's the concours aspect (costs a point or a half point, or something like that.

I bought the Stebro 'cause my exhaust was shot and I was trying to keep from making my 1st round of repairs rediculously expensive. It arrived as promised, fit well, and has not been a problem since the day it was installed.

Having said all that, if I'm driving a Ferrari and I'm going to spend $2500+ on an exhaust, it's gonna be an ANSA. Stebro pricing themselves there is not a wise marketing decision.

Dave

14. Watry

Watry Karting

Aug 8, 2005
    Berkeley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrew Watry
    I had a great experience with Stebro for my 1975 308 GT4. I emailed to inquire about availability. They quoted $1300 plus shipping. I said thanks and after a couple days of no action on my part, they emailed back to say they could do $1000 including shipping to meet their monthly sales quota. So I said OK.
    Exhaust showed up in about a week, and fit just about perfect. Needed maybe 1/4" persuasion to avoid hitting the RH driveshaft on full droop. Otherwise excellent in every way. Sounds great, gives more oomph than my old thermal reactor system, and weighs 65 pounds less.

Andrew

15. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    on the tips $ 100 is Ok. for my exhaust i pay $1055 USD to my door. now dan wants $ 2350 for the same exhaust no way i can get a tubi if i was looking for one.

16. enzoferrariphil

enzoferrariphil Karting

Oct 26, 2004
    Solana Beach CA.
    Full Name:
    Philip Ponzio
    I have a stebro exhaust on my 80 308GTSI and it does sound good,take out the tips and it sounds even better. But Dan the salesman is not the best customer service around and would not deal with him again,delivery is when you get it.so pay with a credit card and be patience and you still may not receive it.The exhaust is worth every penny! quality at a resonable price. But if Dan is the person you have to deal with go elsewhere. there is more negetive against Dan than there is positive and I believe that we should stick together and boycott Dan.

Phil

17. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Probably why he isn't a sponser here - I am sure if he tryed he would get shot down real quick

18. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Here's a question.

I've never taken out my inserts. The one time I tried (at a track event), the screws holding them in place were frozen.

How should I get them out? Some sort of penetrating liquid, I assume, but this stuff is pretty flammable, right? Do it on a cold exhaust, then rinse off really well?

Is this correct? Is there someother way to loosen them, without damaging the tips?

Thanks,
    Dom

19. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    He must have had it on the shelf already and wanted to get rid of it. I haven't heard of ANYBODY getting their system in a timely manner or I would have ordered by now.

20. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    When I ordered the exhaust for my 308QV, I had it in-hand in about 12 days. When getting the replacement tip inserts, I had them in a week.

21. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Try it when the exhaust is HOT... that may help with the screws. The same is true for removing (and installing) the inserts if they're at all tight, as the sheet metal of the tips themselves expand more than the inserts do.

22. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    They were hot at the time I tried it. No luck, that's why I was thinking cold, but with some pentrating lubricant.

Dom

23. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#23 dm_n_stuff, Nov 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    I also love my Stebro. I highly recomend getting them Jet Hot coated, it cost like $90.00 and everyone thinks it is chrome.

I agree customer service isn't the best, based upon what I was told and the postmark on the package I don't think they were totally honest with me but the $ saved made that tolerable.

Mine fits and sits excellent but some other fchat members weren't so lucky. As I love the way my tips point upwards and are central in the cutouts on the valance. I saw some photos of a guy out in CA where is tips were level or slightly downward. I love mine and Ferrari owners at meets also like it.

http://media.putfile.com/308-ferrari-stebro

25. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh

I paid $1350.00 usd