Looking for piston profiles 328 | FerrariChat

Looking for piston profiles 328

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by atlantaman, Apr 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I am about to go thru a rebuild on my 328 motor--stock pistons are getting expensive and being discontinued anyway.

I am searching for 328 profiles that would put me between 9.8 and 10.0. I have calls into JE and Wiseco but will likely need a job # for them to look up anything.

2. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    Try Wiseco. I have used thier Pistons in motors with a 83mm bore, and althought they were 11 to 1, I'm sure they can do lesser compression ratios.
    HTH,
    Kermit

3. Z06Kal

Z06Kal Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Stay away from JE I have seen serious quality control problems in their stuff.

4. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I do not think I want to go up to 11:1--would like to stay around 10 to 10.5---too much bad gas around these days--some of the "low-country" stations seem to serve 77 octane sometimes--with a nice dose of water too.

5. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    can you send me some pics? are the pistons "raised dome" or flat?--would assume that flat tops at 11:1 would crunch some valves----

6. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    Hi Charles,
    I tried to upload the J-peg of the piston, but unfortunately it was too large. They feature flat tops,not dished. The valve reliefs easily handle the cams Frank Capo did for the motor (.400" lift).
    BTW they were for a 308 bored over, so the pin height may not be the same.
    The Wiseco # is 017553153, and the compression height is listed as 1.291"
    HTH,
    Kermit

7. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    My personel mail is cicatlanta@aol--would you please send a pic there--

also--I see JE puts an anti-friction coating on the skirts--did you get that on your Wiseco units?

8. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I am abou tto pull my 328 motor so I though I would revive this thread to see if there is any new input

9. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    I know a friend of mine, working with a pro race engine builder, did the following. They used bondo poured into the cylinder with the head still installed, block otherwise disassembled. This took a mould of the inside of the combustion chamber. That along with a stock piston was sent to the manufacturer. With these two items they had a custom piston made up to the requested compression ratio.

PB

10. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #10 Artvonne, Nov 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

I have a two valve so it wont help much, but here is a pic anyway. I had Wiseco make these at 10.4:1 CR if i got all my numbers right :). If you can give them the numbers they need, they can make you anything you want. Some of the items they will need are the CC of your combustion chambers and piston crown (or dish), rod length, pin height, gasket thickness, max valve opening, and clearance with valves open .100" inch, IIRC. They been making a lot of pistons for a long long time, and are easy to talk to along with being reasonable.

Hows the 365-oh-8 coming along???
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. dirk

dirk Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Dirk
    Try Wieseco, they made some 328 pistons for me with 10.3:1. Ask for Keith Thompson. Very nice price, approx $750 for all

12. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    $750 for custom pistons? That isn't bad...

Gene

13. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    the 330-0-8 so stalled--lack of time and $$$. Had planned on doing it this winter, but need to wait till 2 more quarters before my company stock can go back up and be sellable.

14. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Dirk, your profile says you have a 308--just checking to be sure you got 328 pistons and not 308.

Also, did you do any other work? Cams--ect?

15. dirk

dirk Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Dirk
    Yes, thats right, but i just build up a Euro 328 engine, because my US Spec 308 engine, has much less power than my 911SC-83. I use the 328 top-end and the 308 gearbox, this fit very well.

16. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Dirk, Anything else you did to motor? cams? head work?