Discussion topic: Front Page | FerrariChat

Discussion topic: Front Page

Discussion in 'FerrariChat.com UK Workshop' started by Hud, Nov 9, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Put yourself in the position of being a new user, think about the first thread that you replied to or posted. What attracted you to post? How has the look of the forum changed since then? Does it look any better or worse?

What is it that people want to see first? Lots of sections, or one page? How should the page be sectioned - if at all?

What's more attractive - photo album, technical, social or events? If you had to prioritise these what order would you put them in?

2. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    definately photos of all the cars, I reckon make members cars a sticky. Think about it, you buy a Ferrari and then google for a web site to glean info from. Then when you find said site, ie Fchat, you are gonna want to see the cars, not listen to drivel or find out where everyone (currently strangers) are going. Then in time it becomes more of a lifestyle site rather than looking at the cars (as nice as they are) :)

3. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Rob

When you look at the F/Chat front page and then the lead title for the UK it's more than often the UK Bikini thread, can we get it so only the Ferrari section provides the title?, it might entice more 'Ferrari' interested people....not that there's anything wrong with the Bikinis of course :)

4. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I agree with regards to first impressions. When I look on Cs and see 'A plea from Sletti' it almost sets the scene....Am only using this as an example not a slur on CS of course.

5. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    You have a point but also there have been posters who have never posted in the UK section come here and post because of the Bikini/Asian women thread, look at the number of views there and you can see that those thread are generating a lot of attention to the UK section.

6. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Can there be a double heading, i.e. what was last posted in the Uk section and what was last post in the backroom lounge

7. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    For what reason Pete?

8. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Think this is a cool idea. It also helps to associate which people drive what.

9. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Steve

true we are creating a huge amount of viewing of Women in Bikinis, not pictures of, stories about, discussion of Ferraris etc.

As I've said I've nothing against them :) but surely the goal is to encourage more Ferrari owners and enthusiasts to post about Ferraris.

10. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I agree, the bikini thread should should be a nice perk for regulars :D

Difficult to know what to do to get the balance right..

11. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Well of course the way to increase traffic is to have 20 threads all showing girls in (or out of!) Bikinis draped over Ferraris :D Calling Steve :D :D

Think you've hit nail on the head Rob, imo the Bikini thread should be the bonus :)

12. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    True :) you make a good point.

13. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    So how could this be implemented? Any ideas?

14. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    will current live threads be split into respective sub forums ? Front page is very busy at mo :)

15. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Dont know m8, thats part of why we are having this workshop. Want to hear suggestions.

Do you not think it might look too familiar?

16. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Rob, I think the layout is pretty much ok. The only changes i would like to see if anything would be for the OT stuff to be at the bottom of the page as this is a Ferrari forum. i think over time we have seen many genuine users leave the place as a result of different happenings. i'm sure they will return and the best way to encourage a permanent stay is for them to see the great Ferrari enthusiasm that I am sure a lot of current users have, the other topic are just a sideline.

What is a shame is that it looks as though we are the only section that has to go though this caper but I'm sure it will be very much worthwhile in the end and others may take notice of that.

Changes i would like for the front page are as follows:
    1. Users guidelines
    2. OT moved to the bottom of the page
    3. A sticky for members cars is a good idea. Other areas such as events would be suited as a sticky too.

Things like technical really should be put in the technical section in the overall forum i would have thought.

That is all i think

17. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Dont really think theres a need to go that far. i think we just need to keep all things Ferrari in the main page and separate all others to either OT, members cars, events and whatever else. There is already a technical section in the forum and it can only be of benefit to everyone that all technical questions are raised in there.

18. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Well for basically that reason, as some said not everyone wants to see the bikini thread apprearing all the while as there could be a damn good ferrari thread going in the uk section minutes before, so if theres a double heading you can instantly see whats happening in both, Jmho

19. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    Fair point. It would be interesting to see what is possible with this software.
    If a double heading isn't possible it may be possible to only have the main UK section (i.e. not the Backroom Lounge etc) updating the Fchat front page.

The bikini thread will certainly generate passing trade - whether it is the sort of punter we want is a different matter :D

20. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Personally I will rarely look at the backroom section. Only if I have nothing else to do, and not that I don't find the pics in the Bikini thread unattractive, but is that REALLY what we are about. You can find that stuff anywhere. If we HAVE to have it shove it down the bottom somewhere. It may well attract viewers to the UK section but is there any proof it makes them post here. I really doubt it.

21. CUE99T

CUE99T Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #21 CUE99T, Nov 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. CUE99T

CUE99T Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Basically you could show a calendar and who's the toip posters also listing different attributes, liike who's covered the most miles in the term of ownersghip etc etc......there are lots you could display on the front page to make the site more interesting IMHO.

23. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Paul,
    the front pages look gr8, did u design them? The big prob in changing way this forum looks is that its owned and operated by one person. What may suit the UK section wont necessarily suit other parts of FC.

24. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Might be that the UK section could have a front page...? I dont know the ins and outs of its capabilities.

25. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Think that's going a bit far, your forgeting that this site is owned by Rob Lay and he his probably happy with the sites feel, after all the UK section is only one section of a large forum.