The newest Ferrari racer. | FerrariChat

The newest Ferrari racer.

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Blocktrader, Nov 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Blocktrader

Blocktrader Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Boca Raton
    Full Name:
    Mike R.
    #1 Blocktrader, Nov 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This weekend my son ran his first Kart race. The smallest class is all kids in the 5-7 year old class. My son is just 5 this month and this was his first event. It is amazing watching the little kids in this class race. They are so cute. Several funny things happened. My son broke the throttle cable in practice looking for more straight line speed. We had to add a throttle stop. In qualifying when the checkered flag was waved he gave the flagman a "thumbs up" and kept going. They had previously had a flagman at pit in to help bring them in. The race steward had a talk with him. :) Then on the next race he came in on after the white flag. Ironically in this heat, he had his most noteworthy victory. Young Enzo Fittipaldi (Emersons grandson) also made the same mistake, but reentered the track and was penalized 2 positions, so my son finished ahead on a technicality. Here is a picture:
    [​IMG]

As you can see he is a big Ferrari fan.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ferrarigr

ferrarigr Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Athens,Greece
    Full Name:
    Yiannis GR
    FANTASTIC....BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO...

3. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    That is soooo cute, lol. Makes me wish i was a kid again. Good luck to your son, he's lucky to have a dad like you.

4. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Congrats of the future champion! It must be awesome to see your kid racing for the first time.
    What kind of kart chasis and engine is he racing?

5. Blocktrader

Blocktrader Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Boca Raton
    Full Name:
    Mike R.
    Thanks everyone. It's a Birel Baby 50 Kid Kart with a 50 Comer engine.

6. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Fantastic. Congrats. Great way to spend time with your son!

7. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    That is soooo awesome!!! Looks like he is going 100mph in that picture :D LOL!!

8. Almost 14 years ago I sat down in a little kart in my garage that my father purchased for my birthday. We went racing that year. I cannot describe the wonderful memories I had growing up around kart racing. My parents always knew where I was on any Friday or Saturday night...I was with my dad and we were racing.

As I got better we began to travel around Florida and eventually the southeast region competing in regional and national events. Karting is one of the greatest family sports around and I have a relationship with my father that is so unique and special.

As I span into my 14th season of motorsports and my karting days have evolved into real cars, I find myself racing professionally and working with motorsports programs directly linked to high-end auto manufactures. I also serve as an instructor for the Porsche and Ferrari Clubs volunteering my time to give back to those who are just getting started.

My father gave so much growing up and now he can sit back and watch his son racing on TV. We talk everyday and he continues to be my mentor and motivation in everything I do.

The friendships, the memories, and the knowledge that children learn while growing up around racing is priceless. I wish you and your son many wonderful years of happiness and successful racing.

Here is a link to a story that was just released about me on 11/9/06.

http://www.grandamerican.com/News/Article.asp?ID=7408

CONGRATS!!!!

Nick

9. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    +1. Extremely lucky indeed! :)

10. Blocktrader

Blocktrader Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Boca Raton
    Full Name:
    Mike R.
    Ferrari stickers will do that to anything.

Thanks for the kind words to everyone else.

11. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    AWESOME!!!

Congrats dad... there's a chip off the ole' block! :D

12. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Got any close up shots of the kart?

13. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    u must be a very proud dad. i hope i'll see him in an F1 car one day. a scarlet one ;)

14. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

a first class package! your son looks very relaxed at speed...he will grow up w/ great memories and that little birel will always be his first steed!!!

15. Nate Johnson

Nate Johnson Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2006
    USA
    Looks like fun. Good luck to the little guy and Forza Ferrari!

16. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Sweet good job

Have you thought of getting him into a 1/4 midget ?

Its a little bigger than a cart but has a full cage & harness so its much safer

17. Blocktrader

Blocktrader Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Boca Raton
    Full Name:
    Mike R.
    #17 Blocktrader, Nov 14, 2006
    This is the closest thing I have. From his first lap on Saturday practice. Helmet didn't fit right so we had to get him a new one.

18. Blocktrader

Blocktrader Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Boca Raton
    Full Name:
    Mike R.
    I would think he's way too young/small for a quarter midget isn't he? Anyway the Baby Karts are real safe because of the slower speeds. Also, there is a great following for this class locally. Two of the kids he raced with just got back from the world finals in Italy.

19. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk

Cool, how fast do those things go?

20. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    0-100 in 3.5 secs, then, 1-100-0 in less than 3 secs :D

21. Ludmilla

Ludmilla Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2006
    Manhattan,NY
    Full Name:
    Ludmilla
    #21 Ludmilla, Nov 14, 2006
    Mike, your son is a future champion. He is fearless and he has a dad who stands by him.
    I was moved by yours and Nick’s story. I have my own story to tell: I go on the track with my son; we are a mother and son team. I know that you are surprised so are everybody who sees us on the track. I myself never meet mother and son team.
    I am very close to him because we share the same passion for cars, speed and track racing. It is a very special relationship and I feel to be very fortunate because we found something in common that bounds us. We celebrated Mother’s day on the Lime Rock track to the total delight of all the guys. I race my Ferrari and he has VW R32. The joke of the day was when I did not allow him to pass and stuart yelled at me my instructor said:” Off cause she did not let him, because that is her son and she did not want for him to speed”. Guys were laughing and I was off the hook. When I go to Europe with my car he takes a word from me that I will not exceed 150mph, so when I find myself going 180mph I slow down. His constant complain is:” The other mothers worry about their sons speeding and I have to worry about my mother doing the same”. I do know that he worries.
    My advice to you guys: take your sons and daughters on the track, you will never regret

22. xavior

xavior Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    I think it's time to make a kid. lol

23. Thats a great story as well. I know of quite a few women who are involved in many ways with racing...some at just the club/HPDE level and those who race for a living. Like I've said before, there is NO SUBSTITUTE for spending time with your family at the track. There is a bond and a friendship that is formed that no other sport offers in my opinion...but I am biased.

Glad to see you and your son having a great time at the track. Funny thing...my mom still worries about me speeding. My manly response is always, "mom, I do 150mph+ inches from others and its all good, I got it". What can I say, moms will be moms.

Good luck to all!

24. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    #24 Zertec, Nov 14, 2006
    My daughter, Zoe, has been racing her Rotax Max now for about 18 months since she was 11. She is an excellent driver who is very aware of everything going on around on track. At her mother's behest I am trying to teach her the Jackie Stewart philosophy of winning races at the slowest possible speed. She is sensibly taking this on board and is now becoming harder and harder to pass (I drive a 250 cc four stroke kart). Here in Singapore she wears a Sparco X-light kart suit which is less like a mobile sauna than some others. For Christmas I'm going to replace the white parts of the kart with red and sticker it up to be more of a Ferrari racer as she already has a Ferrari logos on her suit. I will not, however, be putting the Marlboro adverts on the kart!

25. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    Cool stuff guys. Two thumbs up for getting the kids into karting.