Dragon Run... | FerrariChat

Dragon Run...

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by 134282, Nov 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I'm thinking about doing a Dragon run one night this weekend... I'll probably leave somewhere between 8 p.m. and midnight. If anyone's interested in joining, let me know.

2. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Not a lot of Dragon fans here...?

3. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Carbon,

Most of us do this weird thing between the hours of midnight and 6:00 AM. It is called sleeping.....

Now you may like black but this whole "vampire" thing is a bit much!

PS: I bought you a black enzo! (1/64 scale)

Luv ya bud!

4. fcman

fcman Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    how long of a drive is it from Atlanta?

5. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I was just there last Saturday afternoon for the first time. Its a fun run. Not sure I'd do it at night for my first time though.

6. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    You're my hero...! Thank you...!

I live in Stone Mountain; so I take 85N to 985N to 129N... Instead of bypassing all the little towns, I drive straight through them. Door to door, round trip, it's just over 300 miles for me; I recall checking my odometer during one trip and it was around 330 I think... However, since I take 129N most of the way, it's about an eight hour round trip...

I went at night my first time; the second time I went was Thanksgiving, during the day... I remember pulling over to check out the scenery and seeing just how far down it was. I'm glad my first time was at night; ignorance doesn't dilute fun. :)

7. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I like the Dragons run, but sleep is my friend!!

8. fcman

fcman Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Wow, seems a little far for just one night, plus that would be about 4 tanks of gas for me, haha. Oh wait, that's not a joke :(

9. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    With the low speeds most of the way and my desire to refrain from getting pulled over in a "Deliverance" part of the south, the whole trip is about a tank and a half of gas... Then again, I'm in a two liter inline four... :)

10. fcman

fcman Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yeah, the turbo rotary likes to drink gas. I need to find a way to convert it to H2O power...

11. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I hear that... What do you drive...?

12. fcman

fcman Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    '87 RX-7 Turbo

What about you?

13. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, awesome...! I am a modest and humble owner of a completely stock 2001 Nissan Sentra SE (two liter instead of the 1.8); normally aspirated, no aftermarket work, no exhaust, no special wheels, no bolt-on turbos or super chargers or anything like that... But she's my sweetheart and we have a lot of fun together...

November 7th was one year we've been together... 40,000 miles, about 20 or so interstates, 14 states, eight brake pads, five or six oil changes, four tires, four trips to the Dragon, three motor mounts, two speeding tickets, one idle air valve, one rebuilt transmission and more tanks of gas than I'd care to consider... We have fun... :)

14. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    I went there last weekend. Went up in a friends twin turbo 350z and anothers stripped down miata. Completely different experiences, but both fun.

Have been twice so far, great run, especially during the day. Mainly due to the fact that you can get at out the 2 popular 'end points' and chat with people and check out eachothers cars.

I heard Schumacher has been spotted up there before riding some bikes, anyone know if this is true?

15. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, that would be awesome...!

I decided not to go this past weekend because of the storm that came through here... I won't run the Dragon - especially in the fall - if it's rained within a few days of my planned trip... Wet leaves are not driving-friendly...

16. fcman

fcman Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well, if I can get some money for some new tires/brake pads before you go up next time, I will gladly join. Problem is I'm a poor college student.

17. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    That's okay; I'm poor without the college part. My tires are relatively new, but new brakes would be a good idea. I want to upgrade my brakes - not just get new pads. But that's for down the road.

18. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    But it ia an award winner!!

[QUOTE=NNO; I am a modest and humble owner of a completely stock 2001 Nissan Sentra SE (two liter instead of the 1.8); normally aspirated, no aftermarket work, no exhaust, no special wheels, no bolt-on turbos or super chargers or anything like that... But she's my sweetheart and we have a lot of fun together...

19. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, you're absolutely right...! Two-time award winner at that...! :D

20. masermartin

masermartin Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Some other time for me, already have plans.

My brother happens to live about 15-20 minutes from the dragon, and it's all sweet roads to get there. That and he just got an Elise, so now I am forced to hate him....that is until I get to use it. :)

We'll have to use his house as a pit stop one day.

21. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    Carbon, I'm considering going up there in the near future, but I'm coming from Nashville so I need to mapquest the mileage and budget out the gas. I may see if I can get around to going this weekend. I just bought a '98 200sx se-r, so I share your love of the sr20. Can't get enough of it. Is there anyone else that you know of who might be going? BTW, it would be my first time to the dragon, and I wouldn't want to slow you up.

Edit: it is raining in Nashville at the moment and the latest forecast for Maryville predicts rain on Thursday and on Sunday, with moderate weather in between.

22. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    what's a dragon run ?

23. fcman

fcman Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    We go out and kill as many dragons as possible and collect their teeth to make fine jewelery...

But seriously it's a highway in the mountains called The Dragon's Tail... Google it.

24. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I'm leaving for NY on Thursday afternoon, so this coming weekend is out. Perhaps Thanksgiving weekend. I got a PM from some guy who asked me about it for Thanksgiving weekend; he seemed turned off once I told him I didn't have a Ferrari, but hopefully a group of us can still get together.

Henry, check out www.tailofthedragon.com.

LOL...!!!

25. 0UTXLR8

0UTXLR8 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    Josh
    How'd I not see this thread? There was some interest in a run when I asked in the Carolina region forum a few months ago. Maybe we can get some of those guys to come out too.