Battery Tender question | FerrariChat

Battery Tender question

Discussion in '308/328' started by jonesdds, Nov 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I've done a search on using these but didn't see any risks or downsides mentioned. I wanted to know if there is no downside to using them or if there is hear of these experiences.

Jeff

2. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Personally, if my car is going to be left alone or unused for more than 2 months, I remove the battery and store it.

I see no reason to keep power to a car that isn't going anywhere for that amount of time. Radio presets, etc aren't that hard to re-program.

The amount of time to take out the battery, reinstall it and do all the other thigns outweight the risk of constant power.

my $.02

3. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I have used one for years on my 348 and 355 because it is a pain to do all the reset stuff especially the ECUs on those cars. It is also hard on the alt. to get the battery back up to it full charge. If you have a 308 or 328 probably not as bad but, even if you pull the battery I would still use a tender(not a charger) the battery will still lose some of its charge and when you put it back in the alt. has to work harder to bring it back to normal which can cause it to have probelms. Regards, vern

4. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Living in California, I plan to drive it weekly with up to 3 weeks in between starts. I'd like a simple way to keep the battery charged. I'm concerned that even one week may pose a problem but I haven't had enough time with the car to know if it would go dead that quick. Also, I'd like to keep the battery in good condition and certainly frequent jumps aren't good. I'd detach the negative cable but as mentioned in a previous thread, I'd like to not have to change the time on the clock, radio and the presets. So, this seems like the solution.

Jeff

5. 1Turbo

1Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2005
    LA$ VEGA$
    Full Name:
    Jimmy K
    Agree with Vern . Use a "Tender" not a Charger. Disconnecting Cables = PITA + NG for Alt. Tenders will shut down when Fully Charged. They are only about $40-50. Well worth it for you East Coast Owners. 75 here :D

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    If you're not going over 3 weeks of non-use and can keep an eye on the car, then it's probably the way to go.

7. Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Toby Erkson
    The battery maintainer mentioned in this post is the exact unit I have (came with the wave runner). About once a month I put it on the wave runner battery for a couple days, then the VW Squareback for a couple days, then the Porsche 914 for a couple days, and finally the Goldwing motorcycle for a couple days. The Jetta is a daily driver ;)

It's been working flawlessly since 1998. All vehicles have a pigtail attached to the battery and, for me, it's beyond easy to connect the tender. The wave runner battery is on a shelf during the winter and I use allegator clips for attaching.

Definitely recommend one.

8. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I also use the tender mentioned in the above-linked post, and it has worked wonderfully for me over the past couple months. Would highly recommend it.

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    What exactly is the risk? I mean, in this day and age, tens of thousands of people are now using battery tenders, and I have heard of exactly one instance of a Deltran battery tender failing and causing some minor fire damage to some guy's camper, but it is not even clear if the battery tender was at fault (do a google search on the incident). So in the grand "universe" of possibilities, I suppose there could be a problem with a battery tender, but in a practical sense, I think it is a pretty minor one.

10. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I have had a Deltran Battery Tender Jr on my 308 for several years now and the battery is always fully charged and ready to go. The car gets into the rotation every four to five weeks for its 45 minute drive and sits for three months over summer permanently hooked up to the Tender.

11. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    I have Tenders on the Car trailer, Horse trailer, Camper, 308 and 4 wheeler. Deep cycle or regular. Three yr batteries are now lasting 5 yrs. No down side.
    I have had a recient problem with Optima's yellow top that has me questioning that application. The battery (6 months old) got very hot and vented with a 5 Amp charger over night.

Dave

12. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    This company makes an excellent charger for storage applications. It's the only one I would use with Optima, and it works for conventional batteries as well. They have several different models.

http://www.ctek.com/us/home.asp

13. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    I've just used batt disconnects on the terminals. Simple and works great.

14. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    #15 Mike C, Nov 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I use a tender, and I changed the ends so I can just plug it into the cigarette lighter. I also use a doubler so I can have a voltmeter in there with it as a monitor.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I bought a tender at Wal Mart for $16, and use the cigarette lighter like Mike does. No problems.

16. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    I've never had a problem or a concern with using my Deltran Battery Tender for any extended period of time.

17. Zigno

Zigno Karting

My Deltran Battery Tender Jr. (.75 amp) keeps me from never having to say,"Sorry Honey, we're not going anywhere in the Ferrari. Battery is dead." I only had to say it once and that was enough. Optima Orange top has been happy for 3 years now.

18. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I use a Deltran on my 348. Whenever it is in the garage, the car is plugged in.

-d

19. 1Turbo

1Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2005
    LA$ VEGA$
    Full Name:
    Jimmy K

Now that's a "Problem" i'd Luv to have ! ;)

20. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike

Are you saying it isn't good on the alternator if I disconnect the battey (ground) on my 328?..I do it all the time, & haven't noticed any "issues" am I missing something?

21. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Mike, Read my post #3 I think that will explain what I was talking about. regards, Vern

22. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I've been using a tender for a few years. Best thing to happen for storage. With the 3X8 its easier to use the cigarette lighter for the tender then the battery terminals. I cover my car for the winter, leave the window open a little and leave the tender on the floor of my garage with the wire going to the open window into the lighter. Very simple. The tender tends to get warm and I didn't feel comfortable leaving it inside the car. One time I forgot to connect the tender, and the battery died. Gave it a boost, and then connected the tender, and the battery became new again. If you have a radio with a the display illuminated, I would disconnect the radio if your storing for a long time. Little things like that drain the battery. But a TENDER is the only way to go. It charges it then maintains it. Charges, for a long period are dangerous.

23. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike

Ok got it...thanks Vern

Regards, Mike