TRI60 | FerrariChat

TRI60

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Derek250TR, Oct 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Derek250TR

Derek250TR Karting

May 7, 2006
    Longmeadow MA
    Full Name:
    Derek B
    Does anyone know whether the TRI60 had a rear mounted transmision and rear inboard disc brakes? Joel Fins book says that they took the same set up from the F1 cars, which would suggest that inaddition to the independent rear suspension the TRI60 also had inboard disc brakes. There is a good picture in his book on page 126 that shows the air scoop underneath the car in the center on either side of the rear differential. The 59/60 had a rear mounted trans, but pictures I have seen of the TRI61 look like the transmission was moved back up front. I am really confused at to which TR had what and were, if anyone can answer these questions I would be very appreciative. I am specifically interested in the TRI60.

2. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    #2 Bertocchi, Oct 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a photo of the rear differenyial from a TRI 60. It was also used in the TRI 61. I have done work on both so I a could be mistaken and this might be from 0794.

David
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Picture is from TR60 DiDion rear end

4. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    You are correct. Now that I look closely I see the provision for the sliding block for the DiDion tube. This is from #0774. The TRI61 used a very similar case. I am trying to dig up a photo from it.

David

5. Derek250TR

Derek250TR Karting

May 7, 2006
    Longmeadow MA
    Full Name:
    Derek B
    I was under the impression that the TRI60 had a rear mounted transmission, or transaxle transmission, that was a all in one type unit. I was also under the impression that that TRI60 had in board disc brakes. After looking at the pictures it looks like this differential accepted the driveshaft directly, more like the 58TR with DeDion tube. However, I was under the impression that the TR59/60 had the rear mounted transmissions, but did not have inboard brakes. If it did have inboard brakes? Do either of you gentlemen know how the in board brakes would be secured, in other words would the calipers be bolted on to the transaxel housing? Thanks for the input and pictures.

6. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Only the factory TR58 had transaxles and all were RHD. To the best of my knowledge no TR59, 60, or 61 had a transaxle.
    Customer TR58s were LHD and had a live rear axle.

7. Derek250TR

Derek250TR Karting

May 7, 2006
    Longmeadow MA
    Full Name:
    Derek B
    I had a chance to look at Joel Finns book, there is a picture on p 126 of his book showing the underside of of a TRI60. The air vents to the brakes are in the middle on either side of the differential, which led me to beleive it had inboard brakes. However, looking closely I can see the vented disc brakes on the outside just like the 59/60. I was also confused because this book says the IRS set up was exactly taken from the F1 Car, which did have inboard brakes. I am probably being to literal. Now the only question I have is whether the TRI had a trans-axel set up, in other words, transmission and differential in one unit mounted in the rear?

8. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    Hello Derek,
    I'm fairly sure the trannys were behind the engine in the front not in the rear of the car. However in 1960 they had 2 types of rears. The "I" in TR"I" was supposed to stand for independent rearend. But not all cars had them. Some had the independant rear, some had the de Dion rear. The wishbone independant rear was the same as the GP cars and that is what might be confusing you. But the trannys were on the backs of the engines in the front as far as I know.

There is some good info about these cars on page 70 of the book "Ferrari, the Sports and Gran Tourismo cars" by Fitzgerald, Merrit and Thompson

Thats where I got the info from

Ed Cervo
    Island Collectibles, Inc

9. Derek250TR

Derek250TR Karting

May 7, 2006
    Longmeadow MA
    Full Name:
    Derek B
    It is truely a small world, I was just conversing with you last night regarding the Factory Model Hiro 59/60 in 1/25 scale. I looked at you web page and I hope to order that, I will e-mail you regardign that order? Thank for all your help.

Derek

10. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I agree completely!

11. Derek250TR

Derek250TR Karting

May 7, 2006
    Longmeadow MA
    Full Name:
    Derek B
    I just found in Joel Finn's book page 47, he says that 0704, 0726, 0728 (1957 Pontoons) were changed by Chiti in 58 to envelope style with transaxel. They then became designated as TR58. It appears that 0746 was specifically constucted April 58 with envelope style and rear transaxel. It also says that these cars were team cars and that customer cars were still made as LH drive, pontoon fender, front transmission cars. Appearently, Chiti wanted more weight in the rear and the pontoon fenders did not prove aerodynamically effecient at high speeds. Thanks guys I think I have unraveled this mystery!

Derek B

12. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    746 started life as a 6 cyl car (296 Dino) in 1958. It ran one race as a factory team, Siverstone, finished 3rd. In 1960 the car was redone at the factory to a V12. It was transformed to a TR60 with 532D trans mounted behind the engine and a 532D De dion diff as per TR60. It was built "after" all the team cards were just about thru with there racing cycle for the factory.It was formally consigned to Chinetti 14/Maggio/1961 as a "Bastardi" TR60

13. Derek250TR

Derek250TR Karting

May 7, 2006
    Longmeadow MA
    Full Name:
    Derek B
    I was just looking at Supercar.net and ultimatecar page and these sites say the TRI60 has a 5 speed transaxel? I think both these cites are run by the same people and I also think they are wrong. Joel Finns book says the TR59/60 ran sometimes with a transaxel but most of the time with a 5 speed barrel transmission mounted behind the engine. His book then says the TRI60 had a barrel 5 speed. Does anyone have a picture of a transaxel?

Derek

14. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks for bringing this up. Do any cars currently exist in the TRI60 configuration?

15. Derek250TR

Derek250TR Karting

May 7, 2006
    Longmeadow MA
    Full Name:
    Derek B
    I am getting all my info from Joel Finns book on this issue. According to him there were originally two built 0780 and 0782. 0780 was used as guinea pig and turned into the TRI61 prototype which had a radically different body. Regarding 0782, Finn says it was sold off in Italy (1960s) and may have been rebodied in into a 250 P like coupe. He also says there is a rumor that the car is in Australia be he can't conform it. So to answer you question, there are none known to exist. If you go one Supercar.net they purport to have a picture of one, but it is the same car shown on its web page for a 59/60.

16. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    i believe all the TRs had outboard brakes.the cooling of drum brakes is vital and inboard brakes were difficult to duct and they were also subject to heat from the transaxle. the pontoon fenders created by scaglietti were designed to increase the air flow to the front drums. on slower tracks all was fine. the problem was at speed over 150 mph [like the mulsanne straight at le mans].the air flow inside the pontoons would start to produce lift which caused the steering to start to loose control[needless to say the drivers were not to happy with this]. that is the main reason why so many of the pontoon cars were rebodied. the factory cars used the transaxle mainly to transfer some weight from the front to the rear. also the dedion tube suspension designe made it easier to install outboard breaks and also improved the handling required at such places as the nurburgring, the mille miglia and the targe florio. it took a lot of design/testing for mercedes to develop a workable inboard rear brake system with there swing axles in the 1954/5 formular 1 and the 300 SLR cars. george [email protected]

17. iwanna860monza

iwanna860monza Karting

Sep 19, 2004
    0780 - I have read on this site in another post that 0780 might not have been converted to 0808. In fact 0780 might still be "out there" unlikely but possible.

0782 - many years ago, mid 80's, I read an Australian magazine where a letter to the editor was printed and the writer of the letter claimed to have seen a 250TR59 or TR60 in Australia and the only one that fits is this car but then again maybe it was a fake.

So as with most anything Fcar the facts are as clear as muddy snow.

Timmy

18. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    780/0808 on Barchetta.cc
    http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/Detail/0780TR.250TRI60.htm

We recently toured a local collection, The Pat Hart collection, and I couldn't identify one Ferrari with a Fantuzzi body, so I asked fellow club member, Kerry C., who is far more knowledgeable than I about it.
    Here is his reply.
    Darned facinating stuff!

The 250GT SWB Fantuzzi bodied Berlinetta has a long story, involving two
    chassis and three bodies. A 3 liter Testa Rossa, S/N 0780 was raced
    extensively in 1960-61. In 1962, Ferrari installed a 4 liter engine in the
    car and re-numbered it 0808, with Fantuzzi rebodying the car as a roadster
    with a rear airfoil and a wraparound windshield. Won Le Mans in 1962 with
    Hill/Gendebien. Rodger Penske set a lap record in the 1963 Le Mans race, but
    then broke the motor which sent the car into a bad crash. Fantuzzi again
    rebodied the car, S/N 0780-0808, but this time in the Berlinetta form seen
    in the Hart Collection display. Pierre Bardinon bought the car and had it yet again
    rebodied into the first Fantuzzi (LeMans winning) form. The Berlinetta
    Fantuzzi body was then placed on a shortened 1958 250 PF coupe chassis S/N
    1087 by the Fantuzzi works. So the car has a 1964 body on a 1958 chassis.

19. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    I would suggest you read this as well: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81878&highlight=0772tr

20. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    I am quite confident that 0780 did not become 0808 as has been frequently reported. I examined 0808 quite carefully on behalf of the Classiche Department, and there is no sign on that chassis of the changes (including welds) necessary to convert the three liter car to take a four liter SA engine. Additionally, during the course of the inspection, the department discovered the order for the (new) chassis for 0808, placed with Vaccari in March of 1962. So, 0808 was a new car for LeMans in 1962; 0780 disappeared after the Targa accident and may well have been destroyed. 0782 is believed to have been destroyed as well, but it does remain a mystery.

O.G.