Putting in my electromotive FINALLY! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Putting in my electromotive FINALLY!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Birdman, May 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I've got sneaking that Kermit is indisposed these days......

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Last seen with a pistol tucked in his belt and eyeballs counter-rotating like props on an offshore speedboat!

I've heard........

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I've got some stainless out in the shop.......

4. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    My Haltech E6k worked fine in the trunk. The E11 mounted in the same spot would be fine until I stopped for gas or ran into the store....then it over-heated sitting there with the exhaust heat rising and would forget how to do ignition timing and drop cylinders until I got on the road again. Not good. The new motec says mount in the passenger compartment. I guess the truck of a front engine car would be fine, but a 308 trunck gets hot. I'd say avoid the trunk.

5. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg

+1

6. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Fchatter David C. with e-mail address bertocchi AT charter DOT net fabricated mine up. Maybe he can fab up more?

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Excellent post. Heat CAN be a problem if you have cat pipes are other situations that make your trunk very hot. Fortunately the heat is not an issue in the Euro 308.

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Durable 1 is no longer around - I think any good fab shop could make a nice bracket.

9. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I don't have cats and heat is a problem in my trunck..but I don't have insullation either and some stuff is fine like the factory ingition and my first ECU. The chip in the second ECU has problem above 85C..so I'm guessing that is about how hot it gets in there.

10. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I just ordered an XDI-2 setup from Nick (www.nicksforzaferrari.com) for my 308QV... in part as a "prequel" to eventually putting a supercharger on it, and in part to allow me (or rather, my mechanic) to tweak more. For me and how I use the car, it should be a nice modernization/upgrade without doing the entire EFI thing which is a lot more money and work. Nick also said that if supercharging is NOT in your future, the "standard" XDI setup is quite adequate without paying the extra $300 for the more programmable "-2" version.

There's an Electromotive dealer that's semi-local to me, but Nick provides it as a kit with everything you need specifically for the 308, plus he's GREAT to deal with.

By the way, what do people normally do with the stock distributors? Just leave them on there?

11. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Good info Mike, thanks..

I'd also like to know what to do with the distributors....

Still haven't installed mine...

Greg

12. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Hello Wade: Did you ever do this? I'm getting ready to install the XDI setup on my '84 QV and would like to actually cap off the distributors also.

Mike

13. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    #113 308nut, Nov 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    THe reason I have not posted pics so far is that I am also building a ITB system for the car. I do not have it completed yet so that is my reasoning. I will however take some better pics this week and post.

Wade

15. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Wade,

I'd be up for a set of cam end caps, if they'd fit my '78 GTS. I'm planning on doing the XDI install later in the winter, or in the spring, and was having the same thoughts as Mike about what to do with the distributor caps. I'm sure there are others here who would be interested, enough to make a run of caps worthwhile for all of us. Let us know what you decide to do, cost, etc.

Regards,
    Steve

16. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I probably do want end-caps to replace the distributors, and I think that what you've done may be a really nice way to mount the coils as far as wiring position. Please do let us know about prices for just end-caps and for caps & mounting blocks, and post some clearer pics and/or pics from a little farther away when you can. I have a feeling that you may have come up with *THE* new clean way to mount this stuff!

17. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I've seen pictures of it done on an injected 308 (like here) but it seems like it would be part of a full EFI setup (more Tec3 than XDI) and be tough to keep it all properly tuned... well, maybe it's more of a one-time setup and then leave it alone? I'm sure it's quite a project!

18. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'll be needing a coil-mount plate and end-caps too....

Count me in if there's a group buy..

Greg

19. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I could be wrong but it is my understanding that the carb cars and the injected cars have entirely different cam ends and distributor mounts. I do not believe that the simple flat plates like I made to cover the hole left by a removed dizzy will work on an injected car.

The coil mount plate that Dave made for Steven came out really nice. I like it better than the one I got from Kermit. I would suggest contacting him as Steven suggests.

Birdman

20. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I've just emailed him. I'll report back here when I get a reply.

21. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    I will have the pictures of the whole process later today, also the ITB setup you posted is exactly what I am building, we are going to CNC the intake and fuel rails to make the fitment very nice. We are also going to fabricate a plenum out of carbon fiber because I want filtered air into the engine. I will be using the TEC 3 system for management.

The end caps are different for carbed verses injected but I have the measurements for both and can make both.

The block use the same mounting wholes on both.

thanks

Wade

22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Put me on the list for a set of caps too for my 84 308. Just let me know what I need to do.

23. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    #123 Mike C, Nov 29, 2006
    I heard back from Dave C -- he'll take another look at what he did as a one-off for Steven R's coilpacks, and get back to me with prices for 1, 3 and 5 units in case some others here want them. I do want to cap off the distributors, but I *think* I want to mount the coil packs in the original coil location... I like the way my "red wires" wrap artistically on the QV valve covers, which is different than the carb and 2-valve cars, and that will allow for a more similar/stock-ish look. I want to wait for better photos of Wade's nice setup, but there's also the preference of having the coils somewhat away from the engine heat.

This is the mount on Steven's car we're talking about -- I'd just probably paint mine black, or coat it in texture black like the area around it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    I would be very concerned with mounting the coils directly on the engine, therby creating at a heat sink directly into the coil pack. You may want to contact Electromotive in VA. and talk to their tech department regarding this.

25. blainewest

blainewest Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    #125 blainewest, Nov 30, 2006
    I agree with Pad, I would not attach the coils to the block without talking to electromotive first. I simply fabricated an aluminum bracket which mounted exactly where the old coils were mount using the original mounting studs.

Attached is a picture of the caps I had made for the distributor holes. Mine is a 2v carbed car. I could have some more made up...any design could be imposed on the cap.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login