Walked into target, and picked up a 60Gig PS3!! | FerrariChat

Walked into target, and picked up a 60Gig PS3!!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Jsuit, Nov 27, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jsuit

Jsuit Formula 3

Jul 12, 2005
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    John
    They were un packing the boxes, they received 6 or 7 in total, mostly the lesser HD models.

I asked if their was a waiting list or anything?
    He said "Which one did you want?", I told him the 60Gig, and he said "here you go"

They sold 1/2 of them while I was standing there. I imagine they were all gone before I left the store.

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    So are keeping this one for yourself or selling it on EBay, Craigslist, etc....?

3. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My friend just told me same thing happened to his mum. He got one this morning at target

4. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just called the local target...they had 10 and they're all gone! I was there this morning! Oh well

5. jorge.rios

jorge.rios F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 2, 2006
    Monterrey
    Full Name:
    Jorge
  6. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Should have cleaned them out (if the store would let you).

7. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    Check out the new rules on selling PS3 on EBAY before you list it.
    And check out all the complaints about Paypal freezing accounts due to the rampant fraud in selling PS3s.

To many people trying to make a buck off selling them- to much supply.

8. Jsuit

Jsuit Formula 3

Jul 12, 2005
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    John
    I bought it for personal use.

I was just thought it was cool.

9. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Kinda funny that there were thousands of losers camping out in front of Best Buy for days just to get one, and now a week later you can walk into Target and have your pick. People are dumb...

-R

10. jordanair45

jordanair45 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2006
    Yeah, who would have ever thought that Sony would make their projected target? But, there are still none around my area.

11. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    True, but I think that Jsuit's experience is definitely the exception rather than the rule. 99 out of 100 times you're not going to stroll into your local store and find a PS3 sitting on the shelf.

12. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Went to target today to buy some stuff (ended up getting call of duty 3 for Wii which is sooo cool! and about $150 of christmas decorations..ahem) and the guy said they still have people waiting outside when they open EVERY DAY in the off chance that the PS3 or Wii's got shipped in that day. He said they get tons of phone calls too at 8AM on the dot with people asking about them.

13. luxurybazaar

luxurybazaar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Good luck walking in anywhere and getting one right now. I haven't seen a Wii or PS3 at any store I've been to recently.

I still think I'm lucky to have paid 70 over retail to get a 60gb.

14. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Am I the only one who thinks Microsoft and Sony are just complete jackasses purposely perpetrating this "shortage" of product?

When I was a kid you could buy hot toys without any real problem. It's just lately this whole supposed "shortage" thing has been going on. Why couldn't they have manufactured enough of them and pushed the release date back? Why couldn't they have started manufacturing them earlier? This is a bunch of crap in my opinion.

I wanted an Xbox 360 when it came out. Now I see plenty of them on shelves at WalMart and think "screw them" when I pass by the display. I just won't buy one now. Maybe next year.

RMX

15. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Remix........

I don't know how old you are but it's not true. I remember shortages of the Atari 2600. In fact I ended up selling my used one for 3x what it cost new during the Christmas rush.

16. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    What games are you playing w/ PS3? Do you like it? I hear more Sony sell PS3 now, more they lose money as the unit's value is actually more than selling price.

I liked the looks of PS3 in silver.

I played Wii at the Game Expo in Japan in Semptember, and it was a lot of fun. (Nintendo has own expo, but some game booths had Wii)

Eventually I'll get them for this X'mas for kids.

17. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    If these companies didn't do these so called shortages, then all your sales will be gone. This is a good strategy, have people want to buy the product, and not to have your product sell out in the first 2 sales weeks. They are keeping demand high with the supply's low. I am not an expert and not a very good explainer, but that is how I see it.

18. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    ?

19. REMIX

I really don't think this thing would be over and done with in 2 weeks and I do think people who really want them will buy them. More systems sold = more games sold. Isn't that where the real money is anyway? If all of them end up on eBay unused, too expensive and unsold, what's the point of that?

I'd order one and wait, but apparently you cannot even do that. Sucks.

RMX

20. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Maybe they were going for some shortage, but Sony certainly wanted to sell more than they did. The problem was that they were delayed already and they couldn't manufacture enough working systems to get out on time. They were having huge failure rates with the new technology Blu-Ray DVD drives in the machines which was screwing them up. Europe isn't getting their PS3's until next year.

Another part of the problem is that Sony is selling the systems as a big loss. The longer they wait to put more on the market, the more prices go down and the less they lose on each sale.

Case in point, with the Xbox 360, Microsoft is actually making a small amount of money on each system now, even though at launch they were losing a hundred dollars or more per system.

21. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ferrari has done very well using this same strategy.

22. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    But Ferrari isn't relying on game sales to keep them afloat. It makes sense in cars to keep the cachet alive, but I have to agree with Remix here. It makes no sense to limit the release of a product like the PS3. Hype won't sell more games... more systems in peoples' homes will sell games.

R

23. REMIX

Yeah but this isn't a Ferrari. It's a computer that plugs into your TV.

RMX

24. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Hence my paraphrase in post #18. ;)

Robin - you could say though that Sony gets the systems out there in order to to sell games in the same way that Ferrari sells the cars in order to service them and sell them parts at extraordinary prices.

I agree with you though that it's actual sales that they would prefer over hype, and I disagree with Remix though that it's intentional: I think Sony just really screwed things up pushing the Blu-Ray so soon. They could have done what MS did by just adding on the drive and making the PS3 far cheaper - $300-400 as an entry point. I would say that a $300 DVD-based PS3 would have blown everyone else out of the water this holiday season, they could have sold 10,000,000 of them. I'm skeptical that developers NEED the Blu-Ray's space to make their games.

They're putting all of their eggs into one basket with this and PS3 will make or break Blu-Ray, IMO. Now that I have a $400 Xbox though, I can easily go and add a $200 HD DVD if I want it (no reason to yet, don't have a nice TV, nor does HDDVD have enough movies).

25. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The product may be different, but the result is the same. People are on waiting lists to buy them for MSRP and paying well over sticker to get them on the open market.