88 3.2 Mondial cannot select gear | FerrariChat

88 3.2 Mondial cannot select gear

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Swissmondial, Nov 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Swissmondial

Swissmondial Karting

May 7, 2005
    England
    Need help.
    Moved over from Switzerland to UK last month. At toll booth in France, clutch pedal went to floor. Managed to get into first and start car, then jump to fifth. 200km later had to stop for petrol. Bled master cylinder,and thought I could get a few more changes but nope. Left petrol station,first,third, then tried fifth, no deal. Tried matching revs but to no avail. Eventually got towed to a RENAULT garage (was Sunday of last F1 boo hoo) then next day towed to Calais,on ferry, then on breakdown truck to Liverpool. Have now fitted a new slave cylinder. It is from an Alfa 147, identical except for bore (25mm instead of 20.6mm) after much bleeding, got movement in clutch arm. So I started engine, and although clutch is much lighter, I WAS getting dis engagaement (could hear noise from thrust bearings and revs increased when cluth depressed. But I cannot select any gear, it is simply locked in neutral position and is very hard to push over towards 4th 5th side of gate.
    Hopefully I have just mis aligned something when trying to get into gear in France, I did get a bit frantic !!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated, but i have no ramp or lift to get it up into the air and inspect things.

Thanks

PS Will be rebuilding original slave cylinder as I found brake slave cylinder kit from LONDON TAXI that fits, cost £2.20 and u get 2 seals. Alfa 147 slave was £24.50 and made by Dephi Lockheed

2. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I just saw this on a pals 3.2 cab. Stuck in second. Shifter would not move.

A gear shift fork was out of alignment as a bolt came loose that held it in place. Pulled inspection plate, re-fit bolt (straightening fork), and all was well.

Took a lot of hours, but its back to normal. Not a impossible fix for any garage.

3. bartmandial 8

bartmandial 8 Rookie

Sep 3, 2006
    Olympia WA
    Full Name:
    Bret
    How does it shift when engine is not running. Does it shift through all gears?
    Bret

4. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    Your shifter bushings may need replacing.. It happened to me in My 911 and my Mercedes 16 valve. Paine in the arse.. JJ

5. geekstreet

geekstreet Karting

Feb 7, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Cam
    You may not be getting full disengagement. The 25mm bore 147 cylinder will give you approx 50% less clutch pressure but will require 50% more travel (at the pedal) to move the clutch release mechanism the standard amount (ie there's no such thing as a free lunch!)

Chances are even pushing the pedal to the floor, you still haven't moved the pressure-plate far enough to release the drive disk (if that makes sense).

6. Swissmondial

Swissmondial Karting

May 7, 2005
    England

I cannot move the gear lever at all from the neutral position, with engine running or not. It is completely solid, no front or rear movement at all like I am hitting someting solid.

7. geekstreet

geekstreet Karting

Feb 7, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Cam
    If you can get it jacked-up onto stands you can try disconnecting the shifter rod where it comes out of the back of the console tunnel, just in front of the gearbox (there's a simple connection there). This will at least allow you to determine if the problem is in the shifter mechanism or inside the gearbox.