328 door locks go down then up again when trying to lock | FerrariChat

328 door locks go down then up again when trying to lock

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dhs-9, Apr 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dhs-9

dhs-9 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    When I put the key in the driver door lock the button goes down on drivers and passengers side but comes right back up again. It seems to cycle down and up. When I try to lock from the pasenger side I can see the button move slightly down but it does not go down it moves only about 1/4" down and then comes up when I release hte key.

Any thoughts whats going on

Thanks

Dave

2. Tom S

Tom S Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2003
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Thomas Saupe
    Common problem with alignment inside the door. There's a few threads on this, you might try a search,

3. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    One of the door latches is not fully engaging.

4. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Like previous poster said.....one of latches is not engaging. Mine does that upon occasion depending on temperature and metal expansion. Shut door a little harder and do it with a push on the top of the air intake duct rather than just a slam (assuming a 328). This can also happen if car is not on level ground.

Also note whether door has to rise a little to engage the latch. If that happens, you can adjust the stationary part of the latch on the body of the car so the door does not have to rise.

Cars are rather flexible. My doors don't shut properly if car is jacked up.

5. dhs-9

dhs-9 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    A 5 minute adjustemnt to the door jamb catch and it works! Sometimes you do get lucky

Thanks Guys

6. cvanmete

cvanmete Rookie

Jun 1, 2004
    McAllen, Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    CHECK THE GROUND WIRE ON THE PLUG IN FOR THE EXTRNAL LIGHT UNDER THE LEFT SIDE OF THE DASH. tHIS WIRE GROUNDS THE SYSTEM AND IF IT HAS A BAD CONNECTION, THEY WILL GO UP AND DOWN AND ACT CRAZY.

7. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    This is normal operation of the central locking when the system decides (due to linkage friction) that the passenger door isn't fully closed.

You can try opening and slamming the pass door, or press the door inward at the latch. For a more permanent fix, you can adjust the latch and/or lubricate the lock linkages and mechanism.

The 328 has long, skinny (height) doors, subject to a lot of thermal expansion issues. I have to treat my latch mechanisms to some graphite lube (from Ace hardware) once a year, or the driver's door will actually pop open while driving when it gets cold out. The surprise is how easy it is to adjust the latch striker plate on the 328.

8. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I've been having this same problem again lately and it's worse than my previous cars. This one seems to change each time I open and close the doors. Sometimes the door closes fine. Other times it will only close part way. Still other times it will actually bounce off of the striker plate and not close at all. I've tried adjusting the plate several times and it's been very frustrating. I've also greased up the latch as well. Additionally, my doors stopped locking completely about a month ago. Even when the doors seem closed and flush with the body the drivers button refuses to move down much at all and if I push the passenger button down it it goes down and then comes right up again. Any other ideas?

9. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    AJS,

I had the same difficulty with mine last year. It took many attempts at getting the door to seat properly by adjusting the plate but iIfinally got it correct and haven't had a problem since. I remember a recent thread that suggested unscrewing the actual lock slightly because if it is screwed down too tight the door won't stay locked. Worth a try.

Dan

10. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Thanks, Dan. I'll keep trying. :)

11. Eddie Cox

Eddie Cox Rookie

Oct 14, 2006
    Goodlettsville, TN
    Full Name:
    Eddie Cox
    I just posted for a similar problem with my 85 308. The door would intermittently stop latching. It seemed at the time like such a major problem. I began to suspect that the vehicle had some previous damage and all kinds of paranoia with ferrari ownership began to set in. I didn't even want to tell the wife about it because the last 308 I had was a money pit. I was trying to squirt lithium grease on the outside of the latch but the problem persisted.

But for the rest of the story.... I pulled the door panel off to see what was going on inside. At the same time I am going to install the window modules that I bought from Frazer. Never having done this before, I started spraying wd40 around the inside of the latch. Everything seemed to be okay just a little sticky inside. Then I found this little trigger like device that was way to the back of the locking mechanism. I gave it a good spray and put my hand in to move it around. As soon as it moved I reached around to try the lock and it clicked.... VOILA. It works like a charm. It turned out to be just as the other threads described as sticky old grease that was preventing the trigger to move. If that trigger gets stuck then it doesn't click the lock mechanism is how I can best explain. Most important to me, no prior damage.

It is funny because last night I was working on taking plenty of pics of the mechanism because I couldn't find any out there. I am at work right now so have to do it later. It is my intention to post pics of the inside lock mechanism for anyone else that might run into this. Stay tuned for the pics. My wife asked what I was doing to the car all night? She is on a need to know basis.

12. Eddie Cox

Eddie Cox Rookie

Oct 14, 2006
    Goodlettsville, TN
    Full Name:
    Eddie Cox
    Oh by the way, I might mention that my power locks were doing the same thing. This lubrication thing cleared that problem up completely.

13. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    #13 AJS328, Dec 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Okay, I fiddled with the doors again. The good news: The driver door closes much better. The bad news: The passenger door won't close at all now and the little piece that pushes back and clicks won't click into place anymore. What now? :(
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    AJS,

I am assuming you have tried opening the door using the outside or inside door handle. I just went out to my garage after reading your post and I can manually lock the mechanism as if the door was shut and unlock the mechanism by pulling on the door handle.

Dan

15. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Yep. I've been doing that all day. It just wouldn't click until one of my co-workers thought about turning the key in the lock as I did this and it finally clicked. It seems that it was in a position of door lock limbo. Anyway, the doors close again and did lock for at least a minute. Now they don't lock again and my driver door popped open while I was on my way home.

Anyone want a Red '88.5 328 GTS cheap? ;)

16. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    Sure.......how cheap? The wife wants one to learn how to drive a stick.

17. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    How cheap? :D

I had that same problem with my early '88 when I bought it. I had to hold the door closed on right turns when it got cold.

I adjusted the latches and it went away for a little while, then came back.

First, open the door and lift up on the back -- see if you have excess play in the hinges (like it flopping around on a worn down pin).

But mostly, go to Ace Hardware and get a can of graphite lubicant. Then wash your latch mechanism with it. (Have lots of paper towels handy.)

Auto manufacturers think in terms of grease. But most automotive lubes collect dirt and have to be changed. The same goes for the gunk in your door latches. (And these cars are almost two decades old.) Locksmiths (who work on houses that stand for 50+ years) prefer graphite as a lube.

I used to have a spray kit that contained alcohol and graphite to thaw my locks in the Alfetta, and never had any trouble with those locks.
    (Okay, one time it froze so solid with ice that I broke the handle off and had to replace the handle part --- Alfas don't like to sit out in the snow all winter.) (BTW: those were the same handles used on the 308GT4s -- so Dino owners: keep a blow-dryer handy if you park outside in winter.)

Graphite is getting harder to come by. I found a large bottle in an Ace Hardware store in MA and washed down the latches on my 328. No more problem. (Okay, I have to repeat every few years, depending on how much I use the car.)

I did get a high appreciation for the genius of Enzo's operation when I adjusted the latches.

I've done that on an American car, and it was a nightmare: Loosen the striker plate, and it falls to the bottom of the adjustment. Place it back where it was, mark with pencil, "paint" parts with wax crayon to see where it's contacting, tighten, try, loosen, move a bit, tighten, try again, repeat until you're ready to just leave the @#$% doors off.

On the 328, I loosened the striker plate and it stayed right where it was. Push the door closed to align the striker to the latch, open the door, and tighten. Fin. Durn clever, those Italians. ;)

18. Eddie Cox

Eddie Cox Rookie

Oct 14, 2006
    Goodlettsville, TN
    Full Name:
    Eddie Cox
    AJ,

Did you read my reply to your post? Your 328 is doing exactly the same as my 308. The door latch is pretty much the same inside. There is a little trigger device that is stuck in the mud inside your door. That is why you can turn the cylinder without it clicking. Once you free up the trigger you will have no more problems or your money back guaranteed. You may have to take to door panel off. It isn't hard just time consuming. It will be a priceless experience. JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I did read it. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos you mentioned. I'm not mechanically inclined so the more photos the better.

And to answer the question about price, is $37,500 low enough? ;)

20. Eddie Cox

Eddie Cox Rookie

Oct 14, 2006
    Goodlettsville, TN
    Full Name:
    Eddie Cox
    #20 Eddie Cox, Dec 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

21. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino

22. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Can someone link me to a thread that gives clear instruction for dummies on how to remove the inside door panels on a 328? I have been searching but to no avail. I want to try and get this problem sorted this week. Thanks in advance!

23. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
  24. rosso tweeks

rosso tweeks Rookie

Aug 24, 2006
    SFV/CALIF
    Full Name:
    JOHN
    SOMETHING REALLY SIMPLE , POSSIBLY THE INSIDE LOCK PLUNGER IS BENT AND HANGING UP. ALSO THE DOOR PANLE MAY BE OUT OF POSITION AT TOP, CHECK TO MAKE SURE IT'S NOT BINDING IN HOLE