Putting in my electromotive FINALLY! | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Putting in my electromotive FINALLY!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Birdman, May 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Can you make them for the 308 2V ??

2. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    #127 308nut, Nov 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are the pics of the braket and plugs, I am down loading a better picture of them on the engine now and will have it shortly.

Bracket
    plug
    plug plus orginal cam end
    plug installed

As for the heat, there is no issue with heat, the coils are not mounted directly on the engine, as you can see there is a 1 inch aluminum block and 3mm rubber washers, the aluminun block absorubs the heat from the engine and is dispensed in the 3mm air pocket created by the spacers. I did alot of research on this and after running the car at idle and bringing it up to 195degrees there is no more heat than the original placement of the coil packs. It is amazing how much heat is actually eliminated with these blocks. It works well.

It is a very clean mount and also elinimates the need for the additional ground wire that is on the coil blocks.

Wade
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I need all this stuff for my 1977 308 GTB XDI install! I have the same need for the coil pack bracket, plugs and distributor cover plates.

Count me in for a group buy..

Greg

4. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    #129 308nut, Nov 30, 2006
    Here are the finished pictures, bear in mind, that I am still working on the TBI system and after that is done I am going to clean the hell out of the engine.
    I have all the coils mounted on the blocks i made and the XDI box is mounted where the original Digiplexies were. All in all it is a very clean mount and all wiring is within a loom. If anyone has any question I am free to discuss it all.

Another mod I am going to do is after the TBI is done, is Im going to change the coolant reseviore to the Mondial type, vertical tank. So you can see everthing much better.

Wade

5. blainewest

blainewest Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    TommyA, yes. In fact mine is a 308 2v. 1975 gt4. The cnc people already have the pattern in the computer. They can engrave anything you want on the cap...if yours is not a Dino..maybe you want 308 or GTB/S. I simply painted the engraved Dino in red...think it looks pretty good all in all. They would charge about $100 and the finish is bead blasted...but I suppose you could polish the aluminum to a chrome finish if you wanted. I felt that the bead blasting look more consistant with the rest of the finish on the engine.

6. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Very nice looking installation. I could definitely go for some of those cam plugs and caps. My only concern with this setup, however, would be the issue of heat. Mounting the coils directly to the engine without an insulating block, especially with those metal plates, will expose the coils to some rather high temps. I think I'd rather see the coils mounted off the engine or use a non-conductive insulating block between the coil mounting plate and the engine, or a non-conductive mounting plate. Otherwise, very nice work.

7. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    The more I look at the various installations, the more I like the position AND ORIENTATION of how Hank has the coils (see the pictues in post #65 in this thread) -- it doesn't get any cleaner than that. I *do* still like the idea of capping off the distributors.

8. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I agree. I like that location, off the engine much better. Absolutely agree on capping of the distributors too.

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Those are the old style (more compact) coils. The new ones are larger, but you should still be able to do it that way. I like that configuration too! I wish the new style coils were smaller.

Birdman

10. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Thanks guys. This has got to be the best mod I've done (that is until I install the "Birdman Fuseblocks") ;)

Anyways, I've been running this for years (probably over 30k) and have only changed the plugs & wires a couple times.

Hank

11. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    Anyone wanting cam end cap and or mounting blocks please send an email stating so to [email protected]

Thanks

Wade

12. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Sent e-mail..

Greg

13. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    email sent for the distributor end-caps.

By the way, my XDI-2 kit is on its way from Nick's Forza, and I'll be having it installed next week. I'll post pics of whatever we end up with for mounting options for the coils. I think I want to do what Wade did the put the main computer unit in the stock digiplex location.

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

I sent an email. I have an 84 308.

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Looks like it is mounted to the oil cooler. What would that mean for our oil cooler fans?

16. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Is it plug and pray to the older version or is lots of wire terminal swapping in my future?

17. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    #142 Mike C, Dec 7, 2006
    I don't know... I don't have anything to compare it to. You'd have to ask Nick.

The package came today, right on time as promised. Nick includes the stock stuff from Electromotive, and adds plug wires, and 308-unique stuff including very specific, helpful installation tips/instructions with photos that supplement the Electromotive documentation.

18. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    My manual says (on page 14) that with the 6" trigger wheel we're using the air gap should be a *max* of 0.060", the number that Nick told you.

19. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I can't find anything in the XDI manual that says use a colder heat range plug than stock. What's the reason/benefit?

20. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    I think with the greater energy of the electromotive system there will be much less chance to foul plugs. A cooler plug will lessen the chance of detonation. I think some go as far as using the coldest plug they can without fouling.

21. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Mike,

Called Electromotive and it is pretty much plug and pray, only need to swap 2 ground wires to adapt the old to the new (phew, thank goodness). Did not want to have to rewire the car or play trace every wire and repopulate the molex. Looks to be a sweet system. If i had known i woulda waited for the Gen 2 versus installing the Gen 1 only a few months ago.

22. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    FYI, my USA 308QV has been dropped off for the Electromotive XDI install. The plan is to put the brain box where Wade put his -- in place of one of the digiplexes under the trunk area. Coils will likely be going into the area where the stock ones are. My mechanic is doing some other work for me at the same time... I'll post pics next time I go to the shop.

23. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    For all who inquired we should have the

cam plugs
    cam covers
    mounting brackets

done by next week.