What are the next gen cell phones for the U.S. ? | FerrariChat

What are the next gen cell phones for the U.S. ?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by JSinNOLA, Dec 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I can't stand the tech lag we have here in terms of electronics.

Basically I want a cellphone that can do it all. QWERTY keyboard,GPS, internet access, and at least a 2.0 megapixel camera.

What exactly are the new phones on the horizon and when are they slated to be here?

Anyone know where to look? I briefly looked at CNet but didn't see much on upcoming products.

2. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    holy crap, I just realized that QWERTY is the first 5 letters in the top row of the keyboard.

3. fcman

fcman Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    LOL!

4. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Yes we do lag.........

It's funny that most people in the US think we get the latest and greatest.

The SE P990 has most of what you are looking for, but it will probably be upgraded within a year.

One of the advantages is that most products that reach here have been tested in other countries. Also, with internet purchases, you can buy most things.

But, I understand what you mean......

5. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    Heres one for ya! asdfg is the first five of the second and zxcvb is th first five of the bottom!!! :eek:

6. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Japan is light years ahead of USA cell phone tech, search DoCoMo Foma and that alone should give you an idea what we are missing out. That would be my guess as to what's coming down the pike.

7. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Jesus you're dumb ;)

8. Ace503

Ace503 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Korben Dallas
    I just got the samsung blackkack with windows mobile, and its absolutely perfect. I love it! Only a 1.3 megapixel camera, and the GPS requires an additional little adaptor that can be purchased at any cingular store or online, but I would check it out if I were you, its an awesome phone.

Matt

9. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Samsung Blackjack and the Moto Q are the first 2 that spring to mind. I'm a Samsung guy so i say look at the blackjack. I recently got a D900 (http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118720&highlight=d900) and i'm kinda wishing i waited because i really like the look of the blackjack. I'll probably upgrade to something like it eventually

10. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    John..I work for Verizon and we just brought out the LG VX9900. Got everything the 9800 had and I think it's got 2.0 camera instead of 1.3. Has everything you requested. Qwerty keyboard, Vcast capable (you guys got it in NO) Bluetooth. It's a little big for my taste but I'd check it out. any questions feel free to ask...it's my job!!!

11. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    when (that is if..) is Verizon going to switch from CDMA to GSM?? I have Verizon...but the fact that they lock you in is pretty annoying... then again.. GSM in the US also is locked although that can be tweaked (hehe)....

12. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Those phones don't have internet do they? I think the Cingular 8125/8525 (new one) fit the bill. They actually have wifi. What other phones have this?

13. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Just saw this thread . Last week I picked up the Samsung Blackjack ( Cingular).Awesome and I am no techie- I have spent several hours learning how to do everything. I recommend it without reservation.

14. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    Read The Economist. The new issue is about the evolution of cells for the next 5 years. Great article. Maybe you can read it online.. let me check

15. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    I second the "V". I have the 9800. Great phone. From what I hear, the 9900 improves on an already impressive product.

I'm not a big fan of VCast, but with some tweaks and a 1GB memory stick, I store mp3s and videos (yes, very watchable quality full length movies) on the phone. Stereo headphones round it off, and it's great for the bus/train... was just watching "So I Married an Axe Murderer" on the bus ride home tonight.

I never really txt'd people until I got this phone. Now, with the QWERTY keyboard, I text ALL the time. The camera is decent, I don't mind the quality for what it is, but a 2.0 megapixel camera built in would be sweet.

Blah blah, bluetooth, speakerphone, all the usual bells and whistles.

If you have verizon, you can subscribe to GPS for $10/mo with this phone. OR, as most people don't know, you can always text message Google for directions:
    http://www.googletutor.com/2005/03/28/mobile-phone-googling/

16. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    If we do it's going to be a while. I just talked to one of the big dogs in Atlanta and he said it's our goal in the next few years to have the whole USA up and running on our EVDO network. We've got it in most major cities and are adding new ones every month. If any of you guys want wireless internet for your laptop check it out...500-700kbs and your not stuck in a small wifi spot.

17. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    If you got Verizon just text googl (no e) into your address bar and type in the name of the business you are looking for, what city and state and area code of you got it. Take a few seconds and it sends you phone number address and how far you are from it...pretty cool and cheap.

If anyone has any phone questions also check out www.phonescoop.com .Great website and you can search stats for pretty much any phone.

18. ELIM

ELIM Formula 3

Apr 29, 2005
    OC, CA
    Full Name:
    Elliot
    Thanks a lot for that site...usually just use cnet.

19. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I bought a LG cu500 that was brand new about a month ago from Cingular b/c I needed a phone right then and they didn't have anything I really wanted. Now the blackjack is out, i would have bought that instead.

The thing I really like about my phone is it is a 3g phone, I use the mobiTV thing all the time to watch tv, wish it had more channels though.

20. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I have to guess that Apple will roll out an Ipod with integrated cell phone, GPS, full email, 4Mp camera and other bells and whistles. It's the most logical step they can take.

21. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    There will be an apple phone sometime soon

22. Lloyd

Lloyd F1 Rookie

Aug 25, 2001
    Austin
    I would also recommend http://www.howardforums.com/ which seems to be to cell phones what FerrariChat is to Ferrari.

23. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    The (only) problem I see with an iPod/phone hybrid is that it will likely be tied to a specific carrier, since we don't have GSM over here. Unless they can either work with all carriers or form their own carrier, it will probably only have moderate success.

24. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I carry the LG VX8500 (The Chocolate) as well as the Blackberry 8706. If your looking for MP3 capability I would recommend it unless your looking for something that will hold a ton of music. I was about to buy an Ipod myself and then work handed me the Chocolate. I got a 2 gig card in it that holds around 400 songs. Now that's chump change to the Ipod but 400 songs isn't too bad. I ride my motorcycle to work and run my headphones through my helmet and it sounds pretty good. I wish it was a little louder but is it ever loud enough:). We just got them in 4 different colors too. Red Green White and Black.