308 Airbox Stencil - Ferrari Logo | FerrariChat

308 Airbox Stencil - Ferrari Logo

Discussion in '308/328' started by 285ferrari, Dec 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I have seen a guy on Ebay selling these, they usually go for around $20 with shipping. I have bid several times over the last week on some and always lose the bid by less than a dollar. Does anyone have one they can rent me for a week or two?? Or have a place to get one ASAP - I emailed the Ebay guy and asked for a But It Now price to get it as soon as I can and never got a response...

2. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    Let me know if you find one to borrow or rent. My logo is a bit smeared

Doug

3. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    I got one a couple of years back and gave it to Mike C. He might still have it.

It was ok. Not the greatest.

4. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Yeah, I passed it along and Branko used it with fair results -- not concours, but looks much better than when parts of the original one was missing.

5. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    wait what does it do? make a logo?

6. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    make a logo and add's 10 to the wheels.

7. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    you can use mine.

8. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    adds 10 what to the wheels?

9. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    It is actually two stencils. You have to line them up very carefully and be sure to use spray paint( don't ask how I know).

10. enginerd

enginerd Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2006
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    I used that guy's stencil and you can get great results if you are patient.
    The trick is to trim the stencil down so it will fit between the ridges on the airbox cover flat. (Then additional masking over the rest of the airbox.) The next trick is to use 3M 77 spray adhesive on the stencil to "stick" it to the airbox. This prevents any overspray from sneaking under the stencil so you get nice crisp letters. Dont push the stencil down too hard to the airbox to minimise the adhesive that transfers to the box. But be sure to press it lightly to tack it around the letters. You may want to practice spraying on the adhesive to a scrap you trimmed off to get an idea of how heavy to apply it. Let the paint cure well between stencils. You can clean off any adhesive with a light cleaner. I got excellent results with the first part and rushed the second piece and wound up with a job that looks good from 3 feet. I'll redo at some point in the future.

11. jwtfjwtf

jwtfjwtf Karting

Oct 9, 2006
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Joshua Ferguson
    Would a white sticker work? The same stickers you see on hoods and back windows on cars? If someone has this logo in file format, I'll take it to a sticker shop and have a few made. Any thoughts on this idea?

12. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
  13. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    There used to be a place that would take your old cover in trade for a refurb'd one complete w/ stencil already applied. Trying to remember....

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?.....

George P.

14. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    That was these guys: www.italiancarparts.com

15. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    #15 branko, Dec 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    yes. If I remember correctly, the ones Paul made ended up being for a 328 or a US 308, so i just painted the Ferrari part.

17. Ron S

Ron S Karting

Nov 20, 2006
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Ron Scarboro
    You can use an old modelers trick and first spray a clear coat. This seals out where the overspray would go. Then when you spray the white, you'll get a nice raised image.

18. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    If you have access to an airbrush, it will give a better result than using a spray can since you'll be able to control air pressure and paint flow. If you *do* use a spray can, use LIGHT coats from probably 12 inches away. If the paint you lay down is very wet, it is likely to seep; if you spray from very near, the pressure will force paint under the stencil.

19. MondiAl87

MondiAl87 Karting

Oct 10, 2005
    Sacramento Area
    Full Name:
    Al D.
    Like with all stencil work, it's important that the paint be applied vertically and not horizontially. With the cover laying flat on the ground stand over it and spray lightly, almost misting it over the stencil. This will reduce the incidence of the paint being pushed under the stencil and creating a 'fogged' look to the letters. There's going to be a lot of overspray, so cover your shoes and pants, but it will be a cleaner look.

Of course, if all else fails, you can always black it out again and start over.

20. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    WOW----$115 just to redo the white logo!!!
    I will have a complete airbox assembly for sale soon. I media blasted it and removed the old paint. Primed and painted it a flat,satin paint finish-now just have to apply the logo with the stencil wetpet sent me.
    Anyone needs one let me know - if not it will go on Ebay by next week.

Maybe I will try the wrinkle finish - anyone suggest a decent wrinkle type paint??