Storage questions | FerrariChat

Storage questions

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by SPT CLS, Dec 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SPT CLS

SPT CLS Rookie

May 20, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    So we have had the storage facility for almost a year now with moderate success. Despite being the business of classics and exotics prior to this, it has been more than enough work to secure new clients. We are currently about 2/3 full and still have some room for new cars. We have a nice mix of cars, from classic Jaguar XK120's, wide variety of 911's, a few Aston Martins, 66 Shelby (signed by Mr. Shelby himself) and more...

My question for you guys is this: Being owners yourselves, what are you looking for in a high-end garage? What makes you feel comfortable about leaving your car somewhere?

I have put alot of effort into making this happen and we have come a long way, but as with any business can improve. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew
    Sports & Classics of NY

2. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Just curious, aside from the people that own exotic cars and live in the city, why would anyone else, especially in the burbs want to store their car somewhere other than there home. I never understood that business model, yet there are a few places around, even in the burbs where I live. The whole fun for me is seeing my cars in my garage when I leave in the morning and when I come home at night.

3. SPT CLS

SPT CLS Rookie

May 20, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Our business is pretty much geared for people that own exotics or older collectibles, but just don't have the time to start them every so often or clean them. They usually drive them once a month, maybe twice. But they are sick of showing up at their parking garage and finding low tires, dirty cars, dead batteries, etc. But we do have some customers that do live in the 'burbs but just don't have the extra garage space for all their cars.

A little more background on why we started this: My father has been servicing sports and classic cars from his shop in Tribeca for over 10 years and the biggest complaint he had from customers was the things I mentioned above.

But I agree with you, this really only makes sense for people that live in the city.

-Andrew

4. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Good luck in your endeavors, you seem to offer a really nice service to those who will need it. Maybe you should try and attract a less exotic car crowd like BMW and Mercedes owners. I am sure they have had it with the conventional parking garage damaging their cars, you certainly offer a refreshing alternative.

5. SPT CLS

SPT CLS Rookie

May 20, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks for the kind words...we haven't really limited our services to exotics or vintage cars, we also will take on high-end luxury cars. For example, we have a lady with a mid-80's BMW M6. She drives the car a few times a month and loves knowing that it's always ready for her to use regardless of how long its been since her last drive.

-Andrew

6. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    If you have more cars than you have garage space, especially older exotics or collectibles, you don't want to leave them sitting outside under an all-weather cover or park them in a garage somewhere and leave them unattended for months on end. Older cars especially don't like to sit for extended periods of time. They deteriorate quickly, and a freshly restored or well maintained collectible can quickly lose value if not properly maintained and started regularly.

I agree, it's got to be a hard market. But in NYC, garage space is expensive enough anyway. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who have nice cars that they use rarely that would love to put them in a place where they are being cared for. I agree with the comment someone made that they might consider opening the place up to newer exotics and higher end cars. Often those owners are even more willing to shell out the money for first class care and service than folks who own older collectibles. Sticking some new model F-cars, Lambos, Mazeratis, Rolls, etc. in with the old cars certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

7. sagaponack

sagaponack Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Happy to talk to you about Bridgehampton Motoring club www.bridgemc.com
    We are in our fifth year and now have a one year waiting list.

Rob

www.bridgemc.com

The Finest Collector Car Facility on the Planet

8. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    How much do you charge for storage? Just intrigued to know.

9. SPT CLS

SPT CLS Rookie

May 20, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Generally, storage packages start at $495/month and that includes basic monthly services (i.e. car started/inspected/washed bi-weekly, dedicated spot, use of our 24 hr. drop-off/pick-up in Tribeca). We also offer additional services.

Because we are a small garage (we are stopping capacity for the storage at 30 cars for this facility), we really do the storage thing on a personal level. We see what each member needs/wants and design the package accordingly.

-Andrew

10. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    one year waiting list! Yikes!

anyone know of any other decent car storage in the hamptons.... I see that storms and also aventura is offering storage. Also the guy from georgica getty I think moved to springs fireplace.....he might store...anyone have any reccomendations?

As RE is severely depressed, a few of us are thinking of buying a facility ( there are a few really good sites avail.) and running it as a kinda non-profit co-op. but I am just looking for storage for my cars not a business.

11. J430S

J430S Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2008
    NY
    Full Name:
    John M
    In 2006

12. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada