Pocher Models | FerrariChat

Pocher Models

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by PRS29, Dec 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PRS29

PRS29 Karting

Dec 5, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Eilon
    Has anyone here built a Pocher model? Years ago, I bought a 1:8 scale white Ferrari Testarossa Spider. It was great fun to build, and the end result was fantastic.

Have any of you built any of the other models from that brand? I was considering tyring to find another one (don't believe they manufacture models anymore).

2. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I have built two, many years ago. 1930s Alfa and Mercedes. Lots of fun to build. Pistons go up and down in the motors! I still have them, and they were recently appraised at several thousand dollars (for the pair). I'll try to get some pics, if you're interested.

3. PRS29

PRS29 Karting

Dec 5, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Eilon
    Yes definitely post some pics if you can. I have to find a pic of the Testarossa. Unfortunately I left it behind, when I moved from the Philippines years ago. I regret that now. And yes, they are worth quite a bit now.

4. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    I have built three and have been stalled for several years now 1/2 way through a fourth.

First was the red TR coupe, then the red F40. F40 turned out best of all. But both of those were stolen.

W/ insurance money, I got the white TR spider, and the 30's Alfa 8C2300MM. White spider is built, but the Alfa was so intimidating, I sold it. Got $1300 for it on ebay (someone else sold one for over $1600).

Frankly, for such a large scale (where making things fit should be *easier*) I was very underwhelmed. Things didn't fit - in fact that's why my F40 kit has been stalled for all these years. The door frames/door windows simply don't fit into the body. I think I know how to fix it, I just haven't yet.

They are impressive due to their size, but I also think they are very "toy" like. Well, the later ones are - the earlier ones (like the aforementioned Alfa) are excellent kits - but demand excellent modelling skills. With effort, the later Ferrari kits can be built up into very nice models, but IMHO this should also be possible right out of the box.

Anyway, that's my take on them. YMMV/FWIW/etc.

George P.

5. PRS29

PRS29 Karting

Dec 5, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Eilon
    I agree. The pieces didn't fit that well together. It was definitely the case with my white TR Spider... and it appears to be the case with Chaa's Spider as well.

Chaa, your F40 looks amazing!

I think it would be fun to build one of these again. Relieve my childhood. :) Actually, I am also thinking of getting one of the older (circa 1980's) Tamiya RC's. Built and raced a bunch of those too. So much fun!

6. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    I thought Pocher went out of business? Is someone still making them, or similar models?

7. PRS29

PRS29 Karting

Dec 5, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Eilon
    Yes I believe they have gone out of business, but you can still sometimes find original kits.

8. Not Red

Not Red Rookie

Apr 30, 2005
    I have also built two of these Pocher models. The first one I bought and built was the red F40 and it went together quite well.

The second one I bought and built was a black Testarossa. That one was a nightmare to build. The pieces did not fit well. The doors are on this piano hinge arrangement and sag. The front bonnet lifts Ok but the rear one is terrible.

I agree the size of the models is impressive and from a visual perspective people are impressed when they see them.

I am looking for some one to paint my red F40 because it was damaged in a moving incident. I am also concerned about getting the decals back on the model when it is painted.

Other than that these two Pocher models make a very nice addition to my model collection.

9. stevehuck

stevehuck Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Sterling Hgts, Mi
    Full Name:
    Steven Huck
    #10 stevehuck, Dec 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #11 Chiaro_Slag, Dec 11, 2006
    SempreFerrari likes this.
  11. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #12 Crawler, Dec 11, 2006
  12. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    Awesome models pal !!! Are these 1/18 ?

13. PRS29

PRS29 Karting

Dec 5, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Eilon
    Wow, great pics everyone! I am really missing mine now! :(

You guys did amazing jobs on them! I built mine when I was 12, so I didn't get to be as detailed as all of you.

Are there any current companies that offer 1:8 scale models like these?

14. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    No, 1/8 - BIG!

15. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    Those models look fabulous!

16. ferrariboy360

ferrariboy360 Karting

Oct 11, 2006
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Geert Peeters
    the blue Ferrari is wonderful
    i have the red Testa Rossa and the yellow F40

17. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #18 Chiaro_Slag, Dec 12, 2006
    Thanks!

I painted it to match my old Chiaro Blue Teatarossa that I sold a few months ago. The model I painted started out as a white spyder with black interior. The dash I did in real leather. The old white model was pretty beat up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. PRS29

PRS29 Karting

Dec 5, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Eilon
    With all these pictures, I am getting really nostalgic! Can anyone suggest a good model brand? Pocher is unfortunately out... so it will have to be the next best thing. :)

19. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
  20. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    This thread took me back to my childhood, and building a 1/8 scale XKE. It was not a metal car, but nicely detailed, and looked great when I finished. I seem to remember it had working windows also. Does anyone remember who made these models? I may search Ebay for one.

21. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have built few pochers too in the past.Generaly they are a good starting point to build an outstanding replica if you are willing to invest the time and money it takes.(I'm talking about the Ferraris)There are few companies you guys may be interested checking out."scale details.com" has a model or two for sale from time to time.They also make a lot of "aftermarket" parts and details for the Pocher Ferraris and for some of their older kits.I find them to be somewhat reasonable in prices too.
    Then there is "autograph"(scaleautoworks.com).Their "transkits" will blow your mind away, but you are looking at a couple of thousends dollars just for the "transkit"(you need your own model).Besides you have to be something like a master wachmaker in order to put them together.When the engine is finished (F40) you prety much can not tell it appart from a real one.It is a real shame that after you build the little marvel most of the detail is lost once you drop it in the car.
    Anyway, Pocher Ferraris are crapy kits out of the box.Their fit is terrible and their engines are actualy missing major components and many other are very innaccurate.IMHO they are not worth the prices they demand on e-bay unless you are going to spend the extra money and try to modify them.
    Of course it's different story if you just absolutely have to have one to fill you collection.If that is the case then you should know they are worth a lot more money unbuilt.The rarest one would be the black F40 with gold rims.And yes-there is a real car in that combo made for a german football star who by the way also has a black F50 with gold rims.
    As far as the Testarossa spider goes, the only way this model can represent a real existing car, is if it is silver with the classic black and cream interior.In the real world only one Testarossa like it was ever made and it had a thin blue stripe,right above the black bottom of the car,going all arround the car.It was created specially for Giani Agnelli, president of FIAT.
    However there were few companies who did convert customer's cars into spiders but their engine covers will be just like on a regular Testarossa, not like on the Pocher's model(wich is correct to the Agnelli car)
    I hope this will be of help to somebody and I am sorry if I offended in any way some of the Testarossa spider owners.

22. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    It's a Monogram kit. I have one in my closet waiting to be built. I think they're fairly readily available and not very expensive. At least last I heard - could have changed by now.

I haven't looked at this kit in quite a long time, but my Dad and cousin both built one when they were "current" (i.e., back in the 60's/70's - which tells you how old that kit is). I think the windows do roll up/down, but both my Dad's and cousin's models suffered the same malady - the front suspension broke and caused the front end to drop until the tires hit the inside of the bonnet. Some reinforcing in that are would be in order.

Good luck with it!

George P.

23. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    #24 Scaledetails, Dec 13, 2006
    That would be the Revell or Monogram Jaguar XKE. I built one many years ago and it was fantastic.
    Pocher models are a great way to fill your shelves for little money. Considering they weigh 13 pounds each, the TR and F40's can look amazing with or without the transkits added.
    Here is a pic from one of my TR's interiors, enjoy.

Stephane
    Scaledetails

24. PRS29

PRS29 Karting

Dec 5, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Eilon
    DinoDan - Thank you!

Stephane - Amazing detail! My white TR Spider did NOT look that good. I do agree though, that my cars parts didn't fit that well, and there were a couple of missing parts.

Any current model companies that are worth looking into?