Where do you get tires? | FerrariChat

Where do you get tires?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by DoctorB, Dec 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DoctorB

DoctorB Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2006
    Full Name:
    Richard Benedon
    I'm interested in replacing my Pirelli P-zeros in favor of Michelin Sports. I have had nothing but trouble with Pirelli Quality Control. My rear tires actually were significantly different in diameter, causing the car to tram-line at high speed and under braking. Replacing the rears with tires from the same "lot" helped but did not relieve the problem, so I'm looking to replace all 4 with the Michelins, and would also like to get a full allignment. Where would you have the work done?

Thanks,

Richard

2. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I purchased my last set of tires from Hanks Tires in Woodland Hills. AG sends their cars there and Tim (Timsblackf1) told me about them. If you go there tell them Tim and Jon sent you. Good Luck.

3. HRCVF750

HRCVF750 Karting

Jul 13, 2006
    La Canada, Ca.
    Full Name:
    M. Lyle
    I went to "Just Tires" on Lankersham in North Hollywood (it's close to my office at Universal) for the Michelin Sports on my 600 Mercedes.. very fair price (discounted from list) and they did a nice job of mounting and balancing.

Mel Blaney

4. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    This is what I do.
    Print out the page from Tire Rack, which has the tire you desire . Take it to discount tire and they will match the price + $8-10 per tire for shipping. They install and balance for free, and have free repair( good if your traveling and need to get home).Been doing it for years and have NEVER had a problem with the service there.

Darrell.

5. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    tire rack

6. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Grand Prix on Newport Blvd. in Costa Mesa.

or

Shoreline Motoring in Huntington Beach, a little more high in price but they do specialize in wheels/tires for Ferrari.

www.shorelinemotoring.com

7. Redd430

Redd430 Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2006
    CA
    Full Name:
    Steve G
    Defintely Hanks!

8. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    FX in west LA for alignment. You have probably met Costa at VCR or elsewhere. Their machine is state of the art.

9. stoney

stoney Karting

Nov 15, 2005
    Calabasas, Ca
    Full Name:
    Michael S
    hanks has state of the art alignment too, but i was standing right there when they loaded the computer program and the specs for a 430 did not come up - only a 360 or a challenge stradale. i opted for the CS. i think i would still go back there, just found it odd they did not have the specs for a 430. i know they have done others. i have found the PS2s to be great and like them, better than the Rossos i have on my porsche.

10. MREUS

MREUS Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I buy from Tire Rack and have them ship it to a highly (user) rated tire shop. The user rated tire shops are on Tire Rack's website.

11. DoctorB

DoctorB Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2006
    Full Name:
    Richard Benedon
    Thanks for all the info! Hanks is closest to me, so will probably use them. Do you usually order from tire rack and ship, or ask Hank's or AG to match tire rack prices?

12. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I would just ask Hank's to match Tirerack. You might have to add the $15 per tire shipping (or whatever the charge is).

13. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I order from Tire Rack usually but your better off going to the local place and trying to get them to match + shipping costs as you'll need them for mount/balance. They tend to get a little chippy with me if I bring in tires and overcharge me for the mount/balance. So, if they get close to TireRack's price then you've done just as well and they are happier doing business with you. Then they are more likely to help you out in the case of a flat or other issue.

Jeff

14. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Tires Warehouse in Costa Mesa, ask for Jeff Jackson.

15. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Richard,
    Good luck on the tire change. Btw - I have PS2's on my 456 and love them. I think you'll really enjoy the Michelin's. To be perfectly honest, I really loved my GY Eagle F1's as well, but I've put 15k miles on the michelins and they are still in great shape (mostly canyon and recreational driving).
    FWIW,
    Byron

16. Racer98

Racer98 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 7, 2005
    Encino.
    Full Name:
    K-Fence.
    Couple of things.

1) Make sure you walk over and around the car with the service writer, for the tire service.

2) Check the rim lips for and scuffs or scrapes.

3) Try to be present when the rims are being balanced, reason for this, this is to see if you have any damage to the rims.

4) Once this is done make sure you take the service writer for a ride, "REASON" this is to check & make sure your car does not have any vibration issues.

Yes , Time Consuming, but i would think its going to save a lot of time in the long run sending the car back over and over for any imperfections.

Just use a very reputiable shop for the rims and tires, and most importantly if the tires still have 50% or more tread on it keep them and re-sell them as there is a mkt for it.

17. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Compare the prices of your tire of choice - - with Hank, who is the owner of Chatsworth Tire in Chatsworth, CA. The tel. # is (818) 341-6631. Ask for Hank - - and tell him "the other Hank" sent you. More than just being price competitive, their service is sterling.

Good luck, Hank

18. Racer98

Racer98 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 7, 2005
    Encino.
    Full Name:
    K-Fence.
    any one have a pair of 235/35/18 tires used ???? if you do pm me. need something for the matching set of rims I got for my car :).

if not 235/35/18in tires, then some 235/40/18's work out gr8te :).

19. sapple89

sapple89 Karting

Oct 21, 2006
    L.A.
    Full Name:
    sapple
    make sure that you have a writen document saying your rims are in mint condition and have no scraches. after getting my replacement tire i notice they left a few good scuffs on the inside of the wheel well.
    yet again only i would have a problem with a scratch that no one can see

20. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon

After your tires cool down you may want to check the pressure. I checked mine after they cooled down and some were off 5 lbs. from where they should be. Don't depend on those guys filling your tires correctly.

21. DoctorB

DoctorB Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2006
    Full Name:
    Richard Benedon

Thanks!

22. DoctorB

DoctorB Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2006
    Full Name:
    Richard Benedon
    #22 DoctorB, Dec 12, 2006