Hummer H2 | FerrariChat

Hummer H2

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by bostonmini, Feb 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Opinions? its very large, which is not to me such a bad thing, considering its purpose, but why would anyone get one over say, an X5? other than image, I wasnt really impressed with the GM interior, but what did everyone else think?

2. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Tired of seeing them...

3. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    There are about 5 threads in history regarding H2 and large suv's
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9025
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2173&highlight=Hummer
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/132929/327583.html?1066288939

4. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    For a lot of insight into what "others" think of the H2, check out:

www.fuh2.com

Good for a laugh, anyway ;).

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

yeah, i cannot see the love for these hummers. i think they are ugly and in yellow...pretty much offensive. yellow should be left to pretty euro cars. there was a time when i hated mini vans and felt they were the scurge (sp?) of the road. i have now changed my mind...h2 hands down.

6. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Looked cool. Got talked out of it....thank god.

(Love my Escalade!!!!)

DrS

7. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    Im tired of seeing them and hearing about them as well. I dislike any car that has that much hype about it. Their are just too publicised. I can talk about the H2 and everyone in the room knows exactly what Im talking about, but when I mention the Enzo, F40, my Mondial or any other exotic most people just nod their head and stare blankly..not having a clue what Im talking about..I kinda like that.
    Just yesterday I was talking to a guy who claimed to be a "car person" about my Ferrari, and after talking to him for 5min about HP and acceleration he said, "yeah the Mondial (mispronouncing it) is nice, but I've always like that one Ferrari from the 80s that has the air intakes kinda like the testarossa only not as long and it comes in a convertable." I just smiled and said.."oh, yeah, thats a nice one." I like having a low profile but nice car like that.

8. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    For such a big SUV its interior room is pretty pathetic. Unless you really want to go offroading a lot i would pass.
    Even then there are better 4x4's for that.

9. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    but it is even horrible at that.

it is a rebodied suburban with a slightly reworked rear suspension. still a live axle though.

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    There is a good 30 second video on the net of an H2 trying to negotiate a rocky hill like a real off-road vehicle (e.g. H1) can. About 1/2 way up, the front suspension breaks, like a overweight, under-constructed on-road SUV would be expected to break. Cost around $10K just to pull it off the hill before fixing the suspension.

Its all fluff.

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    While I'm not an SUV guy, my wife owns an H2 and I have grown to like it. It is great as a kid hauler and is really quite comfortable on the road. I like it much better than both her previous Suburban amd Toyota Landcruiser. With the entertainment system the kids stay occupied on road trips and it is roomy for the number of passengers it is designed to seat. We have the third rear seat and it will seat six. Since it is so wide, the seats are wider than normal and the passengers have a lot more room than in the 7 or 8 passenger SUVs. The 4x4 drive makes it usuable in fould weather and I have climbed a feww hills in it myself. Other than its width,it is a fine off-roader. My wife loves it so I guess we will keep it for a while.

12. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    What a moron!!

13. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    My dad just bought a 2004 H2 and I am going to see him this weekend so I will let you all know MY HUMBLE IMPRESSIONS. Nevertheless, I think they look cool, better than the previous generation, still fairly rare to see, not Ferrari rare, but rarer that most Bimmer or MB models in a bling-bling town like Atlanta. My wife has been saying she kind of likes them, maybe I'll get HER one (yeah right, it would be for her). I will take pictures on my trip. I will also drive his 2004 C4S and V8TT Lotus.

14. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Good thing you don't live in Los Angeles. Dime a dozen out here.

As far as "better than previous generation" I respectfully disagree with you.

H1>H2 no doubt.

15. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    driven both

H1 REAL

H2 Cool Looking Tahoe

16. NoTorq

NoTorq Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    I hate them. I think they're ugly, like Aztec or Element ugly. For any conceivable purpose you can think of for an H2 there is a better option, except perhaps to "impress" the neighbors.

The H2 looks exactly how Tonka would design an H1 toy, it's a caricature of the real thing (H1).

But hey, that's just me. Buy whatever you want!

17. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I actually like them.

18. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    please get it right. (see below)

Hummer brand was bought and licensed to release H2's. They are NOT Hummers, nor a previous generation. If they were, you would expect it to be ... well, a little bit more of the S in SUV, having an IRS and a bit better offroad qualities than the Hummer (original) has always had.

I have yet to drive an H2, but drove a Hummer quite some time ago. It was when the Hummer was spec'ed for civilian use back in my college days. My roommate at the time shelled out 150 a day to rent it for ~10 days. It was like a parade around town: Everyone would just wave! Even today, the Hummers are a rare find. The H2's... I see anywhere between 25 and 30 during my 12 mile (one way) commute each day. And that isn't exaggerating at all.

19. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Thank you! You said exactly what I wanted to above, just more eleqouently. :)

20. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    "I hate them. I think they're ugly, like Aztec or Element ugly." LOL!! Personally, I think there is no need to have something this big on the road. If you're an off-roader, fine...trailer it. It is a big status symbol that serves no useful purpose other than to endanger everyone else on the road if you were to get hit by it.

21. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    They are good at on roaders (okay I'm lying, it's lagged so baddd... ) and off road? Like others have said, stuff is much better.

I know I would have a much more positive opinion if there weren't so many around.

22. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #22 Teenferrarifan, Feb 25, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Okay well I am biased. I work at Armen Hummer of Ardmore after school, and my Mom drives an H2 everyday. But, my Dad did own an H1 for a few months as well. Let me just say for those of you who say an H2 isn't better off road then a tahoe is crazy. The approach and departure angles are amazing as are its ability to go through streams and over rocks. I have been offroad in them and the only difference is the H2 needs to use a tire to go up and over some rocks while an H1 can stradle(sp) them. Also, an H1 can climb itself out of some impressive HOLES that a human can't even climb out of. My mom who some folks on this site will back up is only 5'3 and she loves the car. She isn't into cars, but this car she likes. My Dad has been driving his XLR everyday now and leaves his Cl500 home for my mom to drive so she doesn't have to take the h2 and almost all the time she drives the h2. Even though it eats gas and is harder to park sitting up high is something she likes. Those that say get an H1 are crazy. When we first got it we thought it was the best, but it has almost no interior space. Seating for 4. Also the car is so loud that you can't have a conversation or listen to the awesome radio in at idle. The car on the highway is a beast to control and tops out at 84ish and listening to a diesel at 3500rpm's is no way to drive to the shore IMHO. If anyone is looking for an H1 or H2 in the area just pm me and I can help you out. Here is a pic of my moms.
    Erik
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    I dont think it comes with a diesel does it? It needs a S/C on the gas engine though, but gas mileage cant suffer anymore!

24. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    H2 are ok, just too much hype and too many around.
    I sure get tired of all the SUV haters out here, At least an SUV has multiple uses, A car does nothing but get you there. I HATE CARS. No I don't cars are cool, but I do LOVE SUVs, Range Rover's, Landcruiser's etc.

25. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Hey Erik,

Really appreciate the good review and you made a few good points.

Re-read the part I quoted above. That could be any ferrari really ;)

IMO those are not negatives as you point them out.

Happy motoring :D