Buzzing sound driving me nuts | FerrariChat

Buzzing sound driving me nuts

Discussion in '308/328' started by Tim3rdsf, Dec 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tim3rdsf

Tim3rdsf Rookie

Dec 6, 2006
    Watkins
    Full Name:
    Tim
    There is a buzzing sound coming out of my dash it is not the door buzzer. I think it is a seat belt buzzer. It does not does not go away when the belts are connected. It is not a real loud buzz and changes in pitch . Can I unhook it or can anyone tell me how to fix it?

2. Rachane

Rachane Formula 3

Sep 5, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Rachane
    1. What model of car?

2. What does the buzz sound like?

3. Where in the dash is it coming from?

4. Happen when key is on, or only when engine is on? Only when moving?

5. Anything else to narrow it down?

3. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    From time to time I have in my 328 also some unlocatable buzzing! Mostly some place under the dash! I just slam it a little, gone! A week later there it is again! Slam it again! Nothing for a month! Don' t forget , this is Italian stuff from the 80's, they used be a bit sloppy with wires, cables, ... Don't worry, it has it's charm! Regards!

4. Tim3rdsf

Tim3rdsf Rookie

Dec 6, 2006
    Watkins
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It is a 1983 308 GTSi Euro model. Sounds like it is coming from the drivers side of the dash. It is not as loud as the door ajar buzzer. And it only happens when key is in the ignition, and running. It does vary in pitch and sometime goes away when clutch is engaged , like at a stoplight.

5. Tim3rdsf

Tim3rdsf Rookie

Dec 6, 2006
    Watkins
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I unhooked the door ajar buzzer and now can hear where the sound is coming from. It is under the seat drivers side. Does that help.

6. Tim3rdsf

Tim3rdsf Rookie

Dec 6, 2006
    Watkins
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It is coming from a box that says Jetronic on it a 6" by 6" box that if I wiggle the wires I can alter the sound does that help.

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7 Steve Magnusson, Dec 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Can you describe your configuration further -- is it a 2-valve or 4-valve (QV) engine?

Has it been somehow "converted for the US"?

Yours is the first mention that I can recall of anything "Jetronic" (i.e. Bosch CIS related) mounted under the seats in the passenger cabin. Your description matches the injection ECU illustration given in the OM for an '84-'85 US version 308QV (K-Jet with Lambda), but it's mounted in the trunk of that model. (An ecu driving a lambda frequency valve might buzz a little as the current switches.)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Tim3rdsf

Tim3rdsf Rookie

Dec 6, 2006
    Watkins
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It is a 4 valve that is the box but it is not in the trunk it is under the seat that is all I know

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #9 Steve Magnusson, Dec 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You might compare your system to the injection system figures shown in the respective OMs. If you've got items G & D (as shown in the '84-'85 US version figure) in your system, you can't just unplug that offending ecu -- you'll have to move it into the rear trunk so you can't hear it ;)

10. Tim3rdsf

Tim3rdsf Rookie

Dec 6, 2006
    Watkins
    Full Name:
    Tim
    what does G & D attach to? I looked at it just now and it liiks like it might have that G part it is near the air box. It looks like a solinoid of some sort with a couple of wires coming out of it.

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Item G is a passive (pulsation damping) device and only has "in" and "out" fuel line connections.

Item D (the metering valve, A.K.A. frequency valve, A.K.A. Lambda valve) has both "in" and "out" fuel line connections and a 2-pin electrical connector.

The fuel line path (on the stock '84-'85 US 308QV) is:

metering head (supply port) -to- Item D -to- Item G -to- metering head (control port)