F-car service in Vancouver | FerrariChat

F-car service in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Canada' started by tritone, Feb 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Does anyone (relatively) local have reccommendations on annual service for sort-of-old ('60s) V-12 Ferrari? I know about Carlo in Tacoma, and FoS. Any good ideas north of the border? Jessel? Other?
    Thanks in advance,
    James

2. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Joseph in North Vancouver has been recommended by a few different people.

http://www.prancinghorseinc.ca/mainpage.htm

I'm not an owner so can't speak from experience but I was impressed with his work, very clean and thorough.

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    The previous owner of my car used him exclusively. I have the receipts. Strangely though, not once did I see a bill for a timing-belt job, during a service record spanning seven years. Since I did not buy this car from the owner, but rather through a dealer, I suppose that receipt got "lost". Nevertheless, I took care of that job shortly afterwards, so it was a moot point about not having that record.

It struck me though, because a fellow FCA club member and owner of a 365 GTC/4 uses him exclusively too and has alot of praise for Joseph. He mentioned that Joe will often do more work than what was agreed to prior, because when he's in there and he sees something that is wrong, he'll do it right away. Why in seven years did he not do a (critical) belt job? Like I said, it could've been done and I don't have that record of it (I'm sure if I speak to Joe directly about it, he'd be able to confirm).

In any case, the work that had been done by him, before I had bought the car, looks like it was well-done.

4. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks much jacoby and Peter. I had a couple of reccommendations but no phone or address. I'll check him out in person.

Ciao

Any F-car events in the near future? (I'm new to Van).

5. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Say Hi to him for me - although I'll be talking to Joseph in a few weeks when I get back from Hawaii!

Too bad we have that darn PST audit to look forward to when we get back :-((

Tom.

6. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd

I think I will check him out when im ready to buy my 348

7. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    Well, what ABOUT Jessel? All the responses seemed to be about Joseph.

8. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    David, only experience I've had with Jessel was when I ordered my parts to do the major service on my car myself. Other owners (of modern Ferraris I'll add) I know who use Jessel pretty much exclusively have had positive things to say about them.

Since James mentioned "early V-12" and "other" places to go, naturally the conversation went towards Joseph's direction.

9. David512

David512 Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    Northern California
    In my case, I was inquiring WRT 328 and 512 BBi, which here in No. Cal. qualify as older cars. My only experience with Jessel is an email I sent to the parts department to see if the price of a 328 ignition switch was as ridiculously high in Canada as it is here in California. The emailed answer was, Yes, it is. Nice of them to answer. I bought a used switch from T Rutlands.

10. Brunello

Brunello Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2005
    Vancouver, British C
    Full Name:
    Al
    Hey,

I've tried to find Joseph in Vancouver and cannot track him down. The link provided in the previous (albeit) while ago post is not working anymore. Anyone connected to him right now?

Thanks in advance

11. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
  12. Brunello

Brunello Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2005
    Vancouver, British C
    Full Name:
    Al
    Not sure what happened to Joseph's link the first time. Thanks for the help anyway.

13. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Is there a story behind this car? That might be worth a trip to Vancouver.

14. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    That is unreal! However, it's going to need some TLC due to sitting if Joseph hasnt done it already.

I like this guy's operation. Simple, clean and he has some nice cars for sale!

V..

15. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I would expect this 328 is pretty nice unless there is a story. Maybe someone else brought it in recently.

16. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    I am sure it is a nice car. It's new so why wouldnt it. But as you know when these cars sit problems are created. And 400 actuall miles is a long time sitting :)

Now can someone just buy it and drive it! :D

17. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    that 328 was for sale last year too.

18. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    I would NEVER buy a 328 with 400 original miles unless I planned to keep it in a plastic bag for visual enjoyment only. I say this because I've bought collector cars with exceptionally low mileage in the past and almost always found that engine and drive train seals dry out and have to be replaced. It's expensive. If Joseph has already done the replacing fine but, w/o normal running lubrication its like climbing into bed with a 105 year old bride. You can imagine what's under the covers. Yikes!

19. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Sorry - I can't imagine! was she rich? :D

Joseph's gone through the car: belts, seals, hoses, fuel-lines, etc, etc... Owner "downsized" and lost out on garage space.

I didn't ask the price - not having another garage spot myself.

20. NOCAR

NOCAR Karting

Nov 5, 2003

The owner's brother had a similar car that was purchased by an enterprising young lad for resale. I think he ended up getting it from your '105 year old' with a sand paper strap-on.

Just for starters, check on the cost of an ABS pump (unless brakes are not important to you) as the fluid not being cycled kills it... Ferrari will be happy to sell you one from the back shelf of the barn on the old family farm in Maranello. It should have a nice patina by now.

21. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I expect that is in Canadian dollars which makes it around $87-88 USD