Color Combo? | FerrariChat

Color Combo?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by EC308, Dec 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EC308

EC308 Formula 3

Aug 28, 2005
    jenkintown, pa
    Full Name:
    ed
    #1 EC308, Dec 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was in pro-auto the other day and saw this 2000 456M with a 6speed. I loved the car. But another gentlemen there didn't like the color combo of the blue/red/blue. The car drove super tight and everything is in great shape but the reaction seemed to be love it or hate it, no in betweens. Is this color combo rare? I remember seeing a blue dino with red interior when I was younger and finding it quite odd but now I love it. The blue on the dash does not match the blue on the paint. Was this a common Ferrari practice? Opinions? Does a rare color combo help or hurt value?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Minch00

Minch00 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Brandon McDonald
    I've seen a Blue/Red Stradale, thought it looked a bit odd, but apparently that's a popular color combo in the early days of exotics, simply because, well.......it's exotic.

I like it. Would I buy it? Maybe. Would I buy it on a 456? Probably not.

3. h00kem

h00kem Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Texas
    I suspect this color combination is rather rare. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I suspect fewer would see beauty in the combination than more; I personally think it is a poor combination. This car would trade at a discount to the identical car with a more pleasing and universally appreciated color combination.

4. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    1 Yes, it is rare, at least in the US. Seems as tho most 456's came in silver/grey/blue metallics, but almost always with black/gray/ or tan interiors. the blue/red would be considered very rare today. But yes, in vintage times, blue/red was not so unusual.

2 Yes, the 'rare' color combo, esp in this case, will probably hurt salability. US Ferrari buyers seem to have a pretty narrow spectrum of acceptable color combinations. Someone will happily buy it, but many will turn thumbs down (IMHO, only important if you are more worried about selling it than enjoying it).

go for it if YOU like it!

James

5. Neal K.

Neal K. Karting

May 9, 2005
    Clarence, N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Neal
    #5 Neal K., Dec 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. h00kem

h00kem Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Texas
    Black on red...BINGO...blue on red??? what were they thinking???

7. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    The bordeaux interior is a tough sell regardless of the model. You have to like it and be committed to it.

My friend, Jim Lyons, has an 01 with 18K miles, and he has had that for sale for a long time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=190063378847

There has been a 355 spider for sale for over a year in TDF and bordeaux int. It just does not get a great deal of interest either.

I have seen a titanium 360 with the bordeaux int which looked nice, but the exterior color really will really dictate the compatibility of the overall interior scheme.

If you like the car you drove and it checks out, get it.

It's all about personal taste.

8. EC308

EC308 Formula 3

Aug 28, 2005
    jenkintown, pa
    Full Name:
    ed
    That is a great color combo. I love red interiors but the blue would have been so much better in a darker shade.

9. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    The red interior looks good with certain colors ONLY. My car is silver and I just love the red interior... I am redoing my interior and I thought about doing it black because it holds up better but the red just looks cooler in my car.... I have seen red with silver and titanium and it looks great.... White might work.... Black might look a little "vampirish" ...but a blue exterior with red is not as pleasing to the eye...

10. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Edward,
    If you like the car and the price is right, consider replacing the interior.
    456M with 6 speed are rare and if the car is in good shape, the color combination is something that can be fixed.
    In fact, while changing the outside color would depreciate the car, in some cases; changing the color of the interior would likely increase the value of that car.
    You may be able to negotiate the asking price down because of the color combination and use the discount to replace the interior.
    Just my 2 cents,
    Good luck,
    Saluti,

11. Neal K.

Neal K. Karting

May 9, 2005
    Clarence, N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Thanks for your observation. I let Ferrari itself
    determine both the interior and exterior (bi-colour)
    colors when I ordered my 456M GT four years ago.

Neal.

12. 1ual777

1ual777 F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Blue/red/blue? It looks cheap; almost plastic.
    Only the Italians would dare even think of such a color combo.

13. Diablo456

Diablo456 Karting

Jul 27, 2006
    Now, now, you don't like the very-rare, very-limited Superman-edition Ferraris?