Calculus and a Catheter | FerrariChat

Calculus and a Catheter

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Ferrariman355, Dec 16, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    Hey guys,

Im doing a paper for extra credit for calculus...and my topic is how does calculus play a role in a catheter? such as the slope of the line, what does it tell you, when the line is straight...

so what is used in a catheter that is derived from calculus??

lol...its an interesting topic..so if anyone wants to take a shot at it...Be my guest...:D

Thanks

john

2. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
  3. QT3141

QT3141 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2006
    Nothing obvious. But you should know that "calculus", apart from the mathematical meaning, also has a medical meaning. It's used to refer to stones (both urinary and biliary). Urinary calculi can be tied in with urinary catheters in a few ways : e.g. sometimes stones can cause bladder outlet obstruction, and acute retention of urine, necessitating a urinary catheter for drainage. Also long term catheterisation can predispose to chronic urinary tract infections and increase the risk of certain types of urinary stones.

Of course, if you're certain they're talking about the mathematical calculus, then I have no idea what your course is expecting of you. You can study pretty much anything you want with a sufficiently advanced mathematical tool. Fluid dynamics of liquids flowing down a catheter comes immediately to mind.

4. Poweredbyme91

Poweredbyme91 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2004
    Now in San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Hector Silva
    I'm confused about what your teacher is asking. Is he talking about the inventor of the Cartesian Coordinate System? Ive never heard of Catheter...

I just finished taking Calculus II and man It was tough. Good luck John! Wish my teacher offered papers instead of problems. :)

5. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    How about using calculus as a way to figure out a sort of related rates problem involving the catheter and draining fluids out of the body?

6. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    Alrighty, Im talking about Calculus, Mathematical way.

In our book, their is an excerpt..."Cardiac patients are common in my field. One of the machines that is sometimes used in the emergency room to diagonose problems is a called a Swan-Ganz catheter...The catheter is inserted into the pulmonary artery and then is hooked up to a cardiac monitor. A program measures cardiac output by looking at changes of slope in the curve. This information alerts me to leftsided heart failure..."

lol...So she wants us to do a 1pg paper on how calculus is used in this...such as using the slope...

I still might not make sense, but ill try to think how to put it...lol

thanks guys
    john

7. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Math + weenies... simple

The angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the heat of the meat.

That should get you started!

G'luck

8. ski_bum

ski_bum Formula 3

Dec 26, 2002
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I think if (or more likely when) I ever get a catheter inserted, it would be a religous experience, not mathematical.

But, mentally trying to solve a calculus problem would be a distraction to what's happening below....