New Nikon D40 | FerrariChat

New Nikon D40

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by Crawler, Nov 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
  2. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Nice!!!

3. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Sweet, maybe I wont buy a Rebel XTi after all.

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I have the D200 with a couple of Nikon lenses. It is the most powerful camera I have ever seen. The photos are incredible. Nikon glass is simply the best out there. I've owned Canon, very nice, but Nikon edges it the out.

5. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Yeah, they do something I haven't seen other cameras do. I've used one of the earlier digital models and was shocked at the pictures it took.

6. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    So they keep coming out with new models! I'm having a hard time keeping track, other than assuming they slot in order of their model #s.

7. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    I also have a Nikon D200, which I have fallen in love with. I currently use the 18-200 VR lens, along with my new 70-200 f/2.8 AF-S VR lens, which is on it's way.

About the D40-I HATE IT. The people in Wolf Camera now know me by name, so when I come in the day they get the D40 in, they quickly handed it over to me to see what I thought about it. It feels even cheaper than a little Canon Digital Rebel XT. It's WAY too small, which causes nothing to "feel right" when holding the camera itself. The LCD screen is nice, big and sharp, but that's about it. Also, as if it weren't bad enough, it doesn't have the traditional Nikon F-mount, so there are only about 2 lenses that work on it right now. The D50 is the EXACT same price at Wolf/Ritz Camera right now, so that is really no reason to opt for a D40. I LOVE all the other Nikons, but the D40 was a big disappointment. Go into a camera store and see for yourself...

Just my $.02

-John

8. ferrari_jjc

ferrari_jjc Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2004
    Anyone know how this would compare to the D80 for a beginner?

9. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    Even as a beginner, you will want to upgrade your lens in the future, which would definitely mean getting the D80. You won't regret spending the extra money. The D40 really is worth worrying over. Good luck on your new camera purchase, though.

-John

10. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I just traded up my D50 for a D80, and I really like it. Sold the D50 to my girlfriend.

I found a slightly used "mint" Nikon mount Carl Zeiss ZF 50mm 1.4 on Ebay and snapped it up. Hasn't arrived yet. I'll be using it with my FE2, since it doesn't have electronic coupling or AF. I still enjoy shooting film!

I saw the D40 in a store the other day. Didn't handle it, but it does look small!

I just got this D40 lens compatibility off Nikonusa.com: Looks like D-series can be used w/o autofocus capability.

Compatible Lenses*1: Nikon F mount with AF coupling and AF contacts Type G or D AF Nikkor: 1) AF-S, AF-I: All functions supported; 2) Other Type G or D AF Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus; 3) PC Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D: Can only be used in mode M; all other functions supported except autofocus; 4) Other AF Nikkor*1/AI-P Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II; 5) Non-CPU: Can be used in mode M, but exposure meter does not function; electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster; 6) IX Nikkor lenses cannot be used
    *1. Excluding lenses for F3AF

11. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I bought the D70S and 6 months later they come out with the D80. I'm just learning so the D70s will be fine. But get at least the D80.

I bought the body only as cheap as I could find on the web. Then I bought a lens,(Tamron 18-200 XR DiII Macro) at the local camera shop to create some good will with the guy. It has been helpful.

In 1991 Kodak made the first digital SLR built on a Nikon body at 1.3 mp. It cost $20K.

12. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006

13. lionsfan54

lionsfan54 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Why would a new body (D80) be an upgrade to a lens? The D40 can every lens that a D80 or D200 can.

As for it being "cheap" this expert would disagree...
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

A D80 is about 2 times the price of a the D40 and for most people it's wasted money. Buy the cheaper body and get a second, nice lens.

14. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael

15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    You make your GF buy things from you? You're hardcore!! :D ;P

16. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I sold all of my Nikon F and FE stuff for about nothing on EBay. Motordrives and all. I've still got a 50MM 1.2 I'll keep but I realized as much as I loved the feel of the old stuff I'd never use it again.

If the D40 has lens compatiblity limitation spend the few dollars extra for a D50.

Other than the point and shoot digitals I bought a D50 first and was a dazzled. Incredible flexibility with metering. So that lasted two months and I just bought a D80 with a 18-135nikkor.

Here are the things that I think merit going higher first:

D80 stronger on camera flash

Bigger LCD

10MP can and will look better in some situations. When you want it you want it.

I was and still am a digital SLR dumbass so it took me a month to figure out the focal lengths are about 1.5 for easy figuring. So my 135mm = about 200mm.

The only thing I've seen about the digital slr's I don't like are how dim the viewfinders are.

17. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    LOL that's what I was thinking.

18. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    10mp will definitely make a difference when you want to seriously crop an image to get the result that you really wanted when you took the picture.

About the 1.5x multiplier, it doesn't multiply the actual focal length. It is just a "cropping factor," as we call it in the photography world. It automatically crops the image, which makes some people think that it actual increases the focal length, but that isn't actually the case.

Congrats on the D80!

-John

19. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    See, I really am a dope about the cropping factor. I am having a hard time overwriting the years of 35mm verbage.

The ability to crop with the 10MP is astounding.

Why are the viewfinders dimmer or is it my imagination?

20. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    The viewfinder on my D200 is nice and bright.

21. ErikV10

ErikV10 Formula 3

Oct 30, 2006
    Sweet camera. I think my Casio Exilim is good enough since I don't use the camera that often.

22. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

23. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    IMO, DP Review always has really nice and detailed reviews, along with great pictures. Whenever I am about to invest in some new photography equipment, I always check to see what DP Review and Ken Rockwell have to say about it. Good find.

24. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Good explanation of why D-Series lenses are manual-focus only. I guess thay figure that people with D-series (like me) will opt for the D80 or D200 (given the fact that the D50 will be phased out). Obviously a price point concession.

25. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    She even argued that the first price I quoted her was too low, so we had this weird role-reversed bargaining session where the seller was bidding the price down and the buyer was bidding it up. Funny! Unlike many of my past GFs, this one's not hurting for $$.