308 PIGTAILS | FerrariChat

308 PIGTAILS

Discussion in '308/328' started by rcraig, Dec 18, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    OK guys, I bought a battery tender from Daniel (Ricambi) for my 79 308 and want to figure out how to permanently hook pigtails up. I don't want to run them outside the tray that holds the spare tire, but the door that is overtop of the battery bolts on and there is no way to run them through without drilling hole in the sheet metal plate over battery. I was thinking of drilling 3/4 inch or so hole and putting rubber grommet to make edges safe for wire. Anybody have any better ideas or reasons other than "not original" for not drilling hole?

2. tvine

tvine Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2006
    Cadillac, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom Vine
    I ran mine outside the spare tire tub and tie wrapped it to the radiator hose.

3. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    I have considered all of these options but I recommend that you include an in-line fuse on the (+) wire, located right at the battery terminal. That way, if you short the wire (or tender) to earth you won't provide an unfused short circuit directly from the battery (+) to earth!!!

Fuse size shouldn't matter too much as long as it is about twice the maximum current supplied by the battery tender.

-rick

4. nautique

nautique Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Los angelas, CA
    Full Name:
    Craig Tempelton
    I put a cigarette lighter connector on my Battery Tender. I plug it into the cigarette lighter port on my center consol. This has worked well on my 79 308 for over 5 years.

5. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    My wiring is connected to pos terminal with 10A ATO fuse AND to the neg terminal of the battery. Being hardwired to the neg as opposed to using ground, allows charging/metering the battery while it is disconnected from the car using the large Molex connector at the left headlight well.

The routing is over the battery and underneath the spare wheel plastic tray, forward and to the side, ty-wrapped to be available at the top front of the wheel tray.

I used 2 pin Molex connectors as I have several hundred devices already using them...2-way radios, batteries, meters, chargers, etc.

Right/left consideration is convenience of your charger. Mine is right as I set my charger at that corner.

6. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Cigarette lighter plug is DEFINITELY the way to go for hooking a battery tender on a 308/328!

7. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Bob, drop me an email at [email protected] and I'll email you a "How-To" article on hardwiring for a 328 (very similar to your 308).

Best,

Carl

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    +1

9. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie