shields for a Mondial | FerrariChat

shields for a Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 4ARI, Dec 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4ARI

4ARI Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Northern, VA.
    Full Name:
    Ron S.
    I thought about adding fender shields to my '89 Mondial. I decided on a set of magnetic shields as opposed to drilling or using adhesive. I purchased a nice set on Ebay. When I tried to affix them to the fenders, I noticed that they were not staying flush to the curve of the fenders. The magnetic shields do not seem to be contouring to the shape of the fenders.

Has anyone tried to add shields to your fenders on a Mondial and if so how did you do it? Do you think heating these shields will help them to contour?
    thanks
    Ron

2. moyez

moyez Rookie

Oct 6, 2004
    Ron, I think only the stick on kind will work. The rigid ones WILL NOT contour to the mondial fender. I went through this just a couple of months ago. Checked with a number of ferrari shops. All agreed that the best bet for the mondial is the flexible, stick on kind. Thats what I went with. Very happy with the result.

Moyez

3. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    The easy way . . . buy a small sheet of magnetic sign material from a graphics/sign shop . . . buy the shields in the package from the ferrari store, Speed Gear or wherever. . lay shield on magnetic material and trace . . .cut out . . remove sticky backing from shield (the 3-d ones obviously look the best) and stick to magnetic cut out . . .viole very nice looking shields that adhere perfectly to the car . . be sure to remove when detailing car, then place back on car (clean back of magnetic material too). (advantage here is that there's no sticky material causing havoc with your paint job and if you want to show your car the shields come off easily with no traces of them being there)

Carol
    '89 Mondial t coupe (1 of 42)

4. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    great idea Carol, I amin the same situation, the magnetic ones are way too stiff, I have a black car and want to do yellow calipers with the shields, looked rich but need to have the sheilds done right, anyone buy the closine self stick ones on ebay, I have the puffy resin ones on one of the other ferraris and they are great, they are self stick.

5. CFCARRIAGE

CFCARRIAGE Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2006
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Carol,

Thanx for the great idea on the fender shields! Thats what this blog is all about. Thanx again

6. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    Bought magnetic shields on eBay for about 12$
    They fit and look perfect.

7. Rachane

Rachane Formula 3

Sep 5, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Rachane
    Try:

http://www.yomagic.com/

Note that he has shields to fit the Mondial. I bought a set of his shields for my 328, and they fit perfectly and are as good as [if not indeed better than] Ferrari factory originals. These are held on by 3M double-sided tape.

8. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I bought resin shields for my former '84 Mondial. They had a self-adhesive backing and bent to the contour of the car. If I had wanted them to be magnetic, all it would have taken is a sheet of that magnetic stuff, stick them to that instead of the car, cut the backing to size and adhere them to the car. Personally, I liked the way they looked, so just put them right on the car permanently.