Error Message... | FerrariChat

Error Message...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 134282, Dec 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Got an error message; so I Googled it and came up with this. Great! A fix!

Not so fast.

So I go to Start, point to Programs and to ...um... so, okay, where the [edited] is Administrative Tools...?

I can't believe I need a fix for my fix...! Can anyone help...?

2. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    I'm not using Windows so I can't test right now but I think if you right click on the "Start" button and go to start menu properties or something then you can pick which things go in the start menu and just check the box next to administrative tools...

Question, what does your signature mean/

3. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    glick start then settings and next control panel the administration tools icon should be in this window, if you are running XP make sure you click in the top left corner where it says switch to classic view

that should do it for ya. good luck.

4. gblogger

gblogger Formula 3

May 2, 2004
    N.E. Florida
    Full Name:
    Gee Blogger

Or System Tools? Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools

EDIT: nevermind...........(I've never had Admin Tools at Start > Programs.)

5. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    This is why I use classic mode. XP's interface blows. Windows blows for that matter, but I don't have a mac, so life is life.

6. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Unfortunately it doesn't. Once we get to Administrative Tools, there is no Internet Services Manager within that folder... Not sure where to go from here.

7. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    "Search is complete. There are no results to display."

Searching for Internet Services Manager on the computer yields nothing.

8. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    oh... i see. i hadn't read the error link when i posted before. sorry about that. i'll snoop a bit more tonight and see if i can find it for you. if not and no one else can, i can get you an answer first thing tomorrow morning, provided my IT guys are at work. what version of Windows are you running? you're running windows right?

the only thing i can find is "From the Start menu, click Run, and type inetmgr in Run the text box." try this and see if it gets you anywhere. if not, i'm sorry i can't help this evening.

9. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Are you using a server? If not, it would explain why you can't find it.

10. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Exactly, if you scroll down to the bottom of the kb page you found the 'fix' for, you'll see which versions of Windows the fix is for. All server versions.

11. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    Carbo - that fix is if you're an exchange server admin with the exchange tabs installed on your active directory user manager. If you are, let me take the ridiculous burdon of windows network administration off your mind so you can spend more time on writing about driving.

12. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Yes, we're running Windows XP Pro...

Yes, we've got a server. But I'm confused now - could we get that error without having a server...?

We have Windows XP Pro and are running a server. But as I said to djui5, how and/or why could and/or would we get this error message is we weren't on a server...?

John, you give me a fix and a Ferrari, and everything will go back to normal... :D

13. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    to get to IIS without hunting for it:

* click Start
    * click Run...
    * type "inetmgr"
    * click OK

:)

edit: pugg57 said that in his post already :eek:

14. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    No dice on that either...

15. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'll talk to my IT guys... but it sounds like some of the components of Windows are missing, like they got renamed or weren't installed. have you tried searching for IIS or Internet Service Manager on your Windows intall disk? see if it can be installed as an individual component?

16. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    click and see if it gets you anywhere: http://localhost

if it does then you either have IIS or Apache running.

17. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj

Carbon - what the dude are you doing, you're not making any sense? You have an error message that appears to be from an Exchange Server but you're claiming it came from an XP Pro desktop? I'd hope someone with your Windows skills isn't running IIS on a desktop intentionally :)

If this is really from an Exchange Server then get help from someone like Infraredline and don't f it up yourself.

18. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Here's the situation. My boss keeps getting this error message in Outlook Express; he can send but can't receive and that's the error he gets whenever he tries to "send and receive". His computer has XP Pro. I don't use OE, I've never seen that error before, I don't know what an internet service manager is or an IIS or an exchange server or any of that crap. I just Googled the error message and the results led me to the Microsoft page I linked in my first post.

I'm all thumbs with Outlook and Outlook Express as I don't have any experience with it. I just figured I'd post the problem and solution progress here and someone would be able to help me figure things out the rest of the way. :)

19. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Ahh - ok, slowly the fog moves and I get it.

The fix in your attachment is only for the email server, and only if it's Microsoft Exchange. You can look all day long on the XP Pro machine without finding this :)

I'm guessing you're using an email provider, like your ISP, to get and receive mail from? Also guessing that Outlook Express, like much of Microsoft's stuff, is more sensitive to network delays than your mail program. Which seems to be what this message is indicating.

If your ISP is your email provider - give them a call (I know, I know, but it's worth a try to do it the official way!).

If you have your own email server at your office where the offended desktop is, then it's a local problem. Being a network guy I always suspect the network - but could be all kind of things.

Simple diagnostic would be to start with testing the network connection from your machine and the bosses machine to the mail server. You can pull the server name out of the mail setup (mail.<isp-name>.com or something, most likely - like mail.att.com or whatever).

On each machine go into a dos window (start - run - type CMD - enter) and
    ping your mail server, if your mail server was mail.att.com, then the command is
    ping mail.att.com -t <enter>

the -t command lets it run forever. you'd like to see consistent results with no gaps in the times. big variations like 20ms, 120ms, 60ms isn't good.

I'm not familiar with OE specifics, but the full Outlook client is one of the most stringent network testing tools on the market when linked with Microsoft Exchange :D

20. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Can you PM (or e-mail: [email protected]) me your number and a good time to call tomorrow...?

21. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Carb, is this with your bosses work e-mail? If so, he should talk to the IT department. The IIS/Exchange configurations aren't something you'd have to worry about on your end in this case. If this is his personal e-mail then odds are the resolution is not the one you found in this KB article. Let me know, I can help you out further.

I should mention, that if a form of antivirus (Norton or McAfee) is installed it could produce this error, as it may be blocking the incoming mail server..etc..

22. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    and tell your boss to switch the entire company to Mozilla Thunderbird.

23. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    The problem is ...I am the IT department...! :)

I'm going to call TJacoby later and we'll see if we can't figure it out. I'll report back afterwards.

24. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Check to see if he's got Antivirus installed, that may be the culprit. If he's got it, somewhere in there there will be settings for e-mail, just disable them.

25. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Carb did this ever get fixed?