I can't believe I was doing 49mph!! | FerrariChat

I can't believe I was doing 49mph!!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ferrarif1freak, Dec 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarif1freak

Apr 8, 2005
    I got a ticket through the door last week. I got snapped, supposedly doing 49 in a 30, and by the nearest camera to my home!!. I just wondered if anyone on here had used these letter templates you see advertised, for trying to get the ticket cancelled. Or any other means for that matter?? I do watch the speed, as we all do, but on my doorstep, I just can't believe that I could have been doing 49...Arghhhhh!! Help

2. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Tough

I was done for doing 46 in a 40 last year. First ticket in 39 years driving. Just pay it and grimace :-(

3. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    Just pay it and take it on the chin and bare a thought for me at this festive time of year...mine isnt so easy to get out of...

4. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    every cloud and all that. I got similar a couple of years ago, first in over 25 years of driving! Made me buy a detector, best £250 ever spent! Don't think you can get out of it but you shouldn't get caught again!

5. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Got an endorsement when I was 18.

working away alot in the late 90's acquired 6 points, both times by the police. Radar/Laser and VASCAR.

Just accept it and be careful. I decided on the second 3 points to go and do my IAM test. That helped me a great deal.

I have also bought a Snooper S1. That was when this new road bill was going in (but never has) where they were looking to ban laser and radar detectors, so I bought the cheap one in case. This thing just bleeps at anything electronic. The one thing I will say is I and the device have never seen a copper with a hand held radar/laser or otherwise since I got it two years ago. It must scare them away :D

6. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Take a look here but as stated above if its your first its easier to take it on the chin

http://www.pepipoo.com/

7. mini2

mini2 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 25, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Paul
    ferrarif1freak I got a ticket through the door last week. I got snapped, supposedly doing 49 in a 30, and by the nearest camera to my home!!. I just wondered if anyone on here had used these letter templates you see advertised, for trying to get the ticket cancelled. Or any other means for that matter?? I do watch the speed, as we all do, but on my doorstep, I just can't believe that I could have been doing 49...Arghhhhh!! Help

I dont beleive in paying fines/etc etc as i do beleive its another form of tax.
    I dont condole speeding but 60.00 a time is just insane.
    I do beleive inf ighting a so called find as there are times for loopholes to be used.

8. fun-meter

fun-meter Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis
    We got caught by a mobile van unit a few months ago, doing 40 down a 30 in our 4x4. Its a dual lane by-pass, but there is construction, so they changed the limit. I felt like giving them a friendly hand gesture, but its not worth it. Sh*t happens to be honest. Best way is to invest in something like a Snooper to alert you before hand.

Although, I was a bit more frustrated when we got a parking ticket for stopping outside a take away for about 3 minutes, and almost having an argument with a rude traffic warden, due to his attitude when I tried explaining to him.

9. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    , doing 40 down a 30 in our 4x4. [/QUOTE]

ditto! I wasn't even in a decent car!!!!

10. ScarletPimpernel

May 19, 2005
    The Back of Beyond
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Maybe one should count themself lucky. You were exceeding the designated speed limit by nearly 65%. A cat's whisker more & they would be requiring you to attend court in person.

SP

11. boba

boba Karting

May 10, 2005
    Madchester ,U.K.
    Full Name:
    dodgy bob
    I have a fleet of 7 vans and four cars .
    Speeding tickets are a nightmare as are parking tickets..more of that later
    With regards to speeding tickets Iam iincreasingly coming to the conclusiion that this is a form of road tax . I contest them all by asking for photo evidence and then the picture which is of the back of the vehicle is of **** all use as I can not identify the driver ! We keep logs of who is driving what but on a couple of occasionsI have had to send out two drivers in one van due to one of them learning the route or the loads are large....two weeks later in the post comes an NIP...great who was at the wheel ? ...By the way Neil and Christen Hamilton (yes them two ) used this defence and were not convicted....make of that what you want ..as long as you ues due diligence in keeping some sort of record or way to attempt to identify the driver . We have a couple of pool cars that are used during the day and it is a constant problem to log them out where up to six people are allowed to use. I tell my staff NOT to exceed the speed limit but as we all know it is so easy to do .
    As it has been mentioned use a detector...which after a while you get tired os all the false bleeps and risk you car getting broken in to for some thug to steal as it has happened to me or use the services of http://www.pepipoo.com/ and other sites that talk sense. A number of policemen not on duty "get away " with this so what is good for the goose is good for the gander

AS for parking tickets .....Well we deliver to restaurants. These notify the city council when they open to apply food & drinks licence and register with the EHO( enviroment Health office). In a quite a few cases the access for delivery is poor with the number of double yellow lines increasing and insufficient or nonexistent unloading bays means that we get a huge number of parking tickets . What a nightmare. Often we have to end up going to the National Parking Adjudication Service to get the fines overturned. I even got a ticket using my car to jump start one of our vans when it had a flat battery! On another occasion using a Smart car (we use it to do emergency backup deliveries as it is quicker and cheaper than sending a van ) I parked in an unloadingbay and the taffic warden saw me and could clearly see me carrying the delivey and said "this space is for delivery vans only ...." and then gave ne a ticket !!
    What a tosser!!!!!!!!!!

12. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    Just pay up. 49 in a 30 is very dangerous, could easily kill a child at that speed. Sorry, but no sympathy from me. £60 is a very small price to pay for exceeding the limit by 63%.

13. AC_HOT50N

AC_HOT50N Rookie

Jun 19, 2006
    In 2005 I got a ticket for doing 40 in a 30 zone but the previous week it was a 40mph zone. I saw the speed camera but as there was no signs informing me of a change to the speed limit I maintained 40. A week later I sent of the form saying I was driving and took the 3 points and the £60 fine which put up my Insurance. Since brought a Road Angel Plus. Wished I contested the conviction now.

14. cardinals

cardinals Rookie

Jul 20, 2006
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    James Dean
    This may be of some help:

The below applies to a 'friend' with an Audi

If the car is on a company fleet you can write back saying that you are unable to identify the driver. The police will eventually summons the company for failing to provide details. Don't bother defending and pay the £350 fine.

No points and that saves significantly on insurance.

It helps if your car is slightly more anonymous than a Ferrari.

Cheers

15. Bronco Jr

Bronco Jr Guest

Did Exactly the same, for a "offence" in Wales. Cost the company (me) £350 for no disclosing the driver details. I was told by the court that the range of fine was £250 -£1000, but "usually" £350.

Question of what are points worth? It was worth it to me...

16. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    Don't get me wrong - I think that speeding cameras are in general used to generate income. But this 'loophole' suggests that if you have the money (and I appreciate we are not talking fortunes here) you can buy yourself out of a ban.
    £350 (and probably £1000) will probably be cheap compared to the insurance costs of getting a load of points or trying to re-insure after a ban.
    Not forgetting the costs incurred in getting around when you cannot drive. Or the inconvenience.

I certainly would consider this option if push came to shove but it is a ridiculous situation.

17. Bronco Jr

Bronco Jr Guest

Yes it is, but yet, loop hole or not, its the result of automatic policing and therefore I would suggest that its a loophole because of inadequate provision of real policemen and therefore the fault of the legislative body that introduced it.

Otherwise speed cameras would just be money generators wouldn’t they?

As far as I’m concerned its not real speed detection – there’s enough evidence to convince me that the location of cameras are intended to maximise revenue rather than restrict speed in dangerous places. My last one was on a deserted M4, in fine weather… Perhaps the camera van would have been better placed near a school…

Anyway – if people can get out of it – good luck to them

18. testosterone.512

Sep 23, 2005
    We used to be honest law abiding citizens.

However since getting a ticket for a bus lane incident that i was unable to defend i changed the registered addresses for all my vehicles.I have never had to pay a parking fine or speeding fine since.

Fact is that the system relies on every one giving correct info. and when they dont the authorities do not have the time or resources to try and trace an alternative address.

It would not be bad if it was just a fine but it is the points that are the problem.As we all know this is nothing to do with road safety but just another form of tax.

19. stocky

stocky Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Bolton , England.
    Full Name:
    Andy
    can you attend the speed awareness course ? when a friend was done last year he could pay about £90.00 and attend the course , no points are put on your licence , its worth the extra money me thinks.....

20. Kam

Kam Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    London. UK
    Full Name:
    Kam Singh
    A friend of mine did the above course.

I don't think you can ask to do it but the police told him you get offered the course instead of points if it's your first offence in a set period of time (think it might have been 3 years). They also mentioned it is linked to severity of the offence, my friend was caught doing 37 in a 30, think if it was any higher than 45 he wouldn't have been offered the course.

21. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I also think it depends on the county. A guy I worked with at the time in Cheshire got nicked in Warwickshire and they allowed him to attend the training course. He also had never had any previous points