Anyone tried a Sleep Number Bed? | FerrariChat

Anyone tried a Sleep Number Bed?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ferrari_jjc, Dec 25, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari_jjc

ferrari_jjc Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2004
    I guess it must be an age thing, but a good night's sleep have been hard to come by recently. My son has been trying to turn me onto one of those Sleep Number beds (www.selectcomfort.com), but I'm still a little skeptical about how well it really works. It costs nearly double that of the Sealy Posturpedic I'm currently using, so before I pull the trigger, I would like some feedback from my fellow fchatters. Thanks and happy holidays.

2. AKS

AKS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Sin City
    Disclaimer: I currently work for Select Comfort selling the Sleep Number beds. (Great job fo college students BTW)

I'm a little tipsy so I will just throw out some quick points here.

-The bed is adjustable so you can have it as firm or as soft as you like.
    -Each side of the bed is adjustable independently. (This is huge as about 99% of my customers who are couples don't agree what they each find comfortable)
    -The bed will never sag. You never have to flip it. It has a 20 year warranty.
    -The bed offers more lower back support then anything on the market.
    -You have a 30 day in home trial. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. If you don't like it you can return it for a full refund. (had 7 beds returned out of 286 sold so far this year)

There is a bunch more. PM or respond here and I will gladly answer any questions you have. I myself have been sleeping on the 7000 model for a little over a year now and have never slept better.

3. ferrari_jjc

Dec 27, 2004
    Thanks for the response AKS. One question though. As I prefer a stiffer bed, do having the pillow top make for a better sleep or not? I'm currently deciding between the 4000 and the 5000, and it seems like the only variance in price is due to the thickness of the pillowtop.

4. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas, duh
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Wife and I laid on one for about 30 minutes at one of the stores. It felt REALLY comfortable. My number ranged from 35-55. Bed feels real nice. Waiting until our lease is up in our apartment and we move in our house before buying one.

5. idloveaguinness

idloveaguinness Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    LI NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Landry
    Just had to weigh in here....WARNING - stay away from "Sleepy's". Check the BBB website about not honoring warranties. Lots of lost and pending litigation against them.

6. Rickenbach

Rickenbach F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    West
    Full Name:
    Rickenhoser
    I have one. My wife loves it, I could take it or leave it. Its basically an air mattress surrounded by a mattress casing with a pump attached. I dont like the fact that I have to constantly monitor the setting because it seems to change on its own.

7. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

8. ferrari_jjc

Dec 27, 2004
    Now I'm really confused. The reviews either says they love the bed or they really hate it. Don't know who to believe. AKS, any opinions on the reviews from consumer reports? Any other actual users in here have the mold or sagging issues claimed in the report. My son just told me he wen ahead and bought the bed for me. If the claims about this bed is true, I should probably return it right away before it gets delivered. Anyone else have this bed?

9. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Most comfortable mattress I have ever slept in is the old style waterbed without the foam insert... :).

Do they still make those?

My relatives have one thats 15 years old, and I LOVE sleeping over...

One of my friends is a district manager for the midwest for this company. He stated in the past that the return rates is less than 1%, and those are easily resold at a 20% discount through their outlets. 60% of the beds cost is used for advertising...Rush Limbaugh doesn't come cheap, apparantly.

10. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    I've heard good things about them...but also good things about the tempurpedic ones as well.

11. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Doesn't the bed have to be returned by mail, at the buyer's expense?

12. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I have laid on a Tempuredic - it seemed very uncomfortable and firm...

We currently have a Sealy Pillow-Top something or the other, about 2000$ for a kingsize - very comfortable...

13. AKS

AKS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Sin City
    Yes. you can ship it back for about $50 or so but you will recieve a full refund on the bed. Or we can come back out and take it away for you for $199.

14. AKS

AKS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Sin City
    I have only heard of mold issues from one customer who had the bed for about 13 years. If you could open up your current mattrtess at home like you can a Sleep Number bed you would probably puke. Also the bed is like a component system in which we can and will replace everything inside the bed if neccesary.

As far as sagging, it doesn't happen. The air chamber would have to be leaking air which is rare, but if it did leak it will be replaced under warranty. No haggling just call customer service.

I wouldn't return it untill you tried it for a few weeks. What do you have to lose?

You can find complaints about EVERY type of bed if you look around.

I also notice that most of the people responding have not owned the bed or spent any decent amount of time sleeping on one.

Fact is I'm just telling you my opinion and experiences. I have nothing to gain by you keeping or returning the bed.

Also if the bed was really uncomfortable to most people I would be broke as it is easier to return our bed then just about any other. As I stated before I have had 7 returns this year out of almost 300 beds sold.

15. AKS

AKS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Sin City
    Wrong company bro.

16. AKS

AKS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Sin City
    HOw long have you had it? Are you checking the setting when you are laying on the bed? The number will be different with no weight on the bed? Customer service can and will address any issues you have with the bed.

17. AKS

AKS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Sin City
    The 5000 has a 2" pillow top 100% rayon outer shell and the quieter pump system.

The 4000 has a 1" pillow top with a polyester polypropaline outer shell with the louder pump system.

The 5000 is our number 1 seller.

18. minty99z

minty99z Karting

Mar 19, 2006
    Illinois
    buy a tempur pedic bed.(*Spelling might be off).....feels.....AWESOME.....when you lay at first its hard and then the bed melt with you while adjusting to your body. The last 2 years have been the best nights sleep I've EVER had. Well worth the money.

19. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Tempur-Pedic looks like a great bed.

RMX

20. idloveaguinness

idloveaguinness Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    LI NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Landry
    Sleepy's is a retail chain that sells the Select Comfort, among other brands. It was just a general statement to warn people about them as a place to buy these mattresses, or any other brand.

www.sleepys.com

21. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    My previous post was lost--so this will be more brief, in case it happens again.

I've had a 5000 for more than 3 years. I will never, given the choice, sleep on anything else.

Benefits:

1) I sleep at 30, my wife at 75--no other mattress can accomidate this difference.

2) If suffering from a sports injury, I can vary firmness for optimal comfort.

3) If back gets sore at one setting, I can change by 10-15 for a few nights and the back soreness resolves.

I have never slept better. I'm frugal (cheap) and I purchased a second 5000 for use in a vacation home, which I only use 20 days a year. Vacation days are treasured and I want to get the most out of them.

Buy one.

22. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    My sister is A Chiropracter and sais If I get a prescription from my Chiropracter I can get 40 percent off on the Sleep Number.. JJ

23. Detailers Paradise

Detailers Paradise Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I've been thinking the same thing! I miss my old waterbed.

24. hoffmeister

hoffmeister Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Baghdad...again
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    I bought one of these for my new house. Even though I've only slept in it for about 4 weeks total in the last year, I can't really say it's worth the $2k for it. My back problem didn't feel any better that's for sure and neither did my wallet. But maybe it takes more time to adjust...can't say until I get back.

25. minty99z

minty99z Karting

Mar 19, 2006
    Illinois
    I guess you have to give it some time. I almost fell asleep after a few minutes of laying on the bed in the store...