612 Stereo Install Suggestions? | FerrariChat

612 Stereo Install Suggestions?

Discussion in '612/599' started by samyama, Jan 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samyama

samyama Karting

Dec 10, 2006
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    John Berg
    hi everyone -

originally, i thought i'd just accept the stock stereo in the 612. yet, after only 3 days, i can tell it's not acceptable. for some, music is not as important; for me it is essential. especially in a touring car that begs to be taken on long trips.

i'm lookin' for an installer, or shop, that has experience with exotics. i've heard of a place in Campbell, but i don't know their name.

i'm in the NoCal bay area - menlo park, specifically. i've used Monney's before...i'd rather go somewhere else. they opened up my 456 and then scratched their heads for 3 weeks trying to figure out what to do...

thanks in advance!

john

2. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    John,

I would suggest you call Scott at la Jolla Audio in La Jolla at 858-581-6545.

I do not know of anyone more competent that Scott to deal with this.

He has an extensive Ferrari installation background, and he's the one to call.

3. bayareaferrari

bayareaferrari Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2004
    California
    John,

I live in same part of town..Try
    Bay Car Stereo
    (650) 968-5555
    86 W El Camino Real
    Mountain View, CA 94040

4. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    John,

I did not pay attention to where you were located. I thought it was So Cal.

I would call Scott as he may refer you to someone in the area here.

5. londonferrari612

Dec 6, 2006
    California
    I will show you some pictures of my dad's Ferrari. It has a pioneer system. But...I dont know how to upload pics! Can someone tell me??

Cheers.

6. ARED4RE

ARED4RE Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2004
    Ferrari of SF recommends: Marty Barry 415-999-5987

Ferrari of SV recommends a company in SanCarlos; call their service department for the info.

I have not used either but talked to both; each seemed to know what they are doing.

The 612 can use a double DIN system so you have a couple of good choices if you want the full radio, nav, ipod stuff.

7. samyama

samyama Karting

Dec 10, 2006
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    John Berg
    thanks so much for all the info and suggestions - appreciated greatly!

it's funny; i've never heard of a "stock" stereo with such horrible engine noise! the 612 is actually remarkably quiet in the cabin/cockpit, so, unlike the 456, one could actually listen to some mozart....or some brian eno....

ummm....night cruising in the 612 listening to ambient chill music...cocteau twins, eno, sigur ros.....cool.....

ciao everyone!

jb

8. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    The electrical engine noise is very easy to correct.

The greater problem is the poor quality stereo units Ferrari uses!

9. samyama

samyama Karting

Dec 10, 2006
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    John Berg
    hiya

found out the place in San Carlos is called "Sound Wave".

anyone with any experience? i spoke with a guy there - had a "mini" warning flag regarding my wallet...

the guy answers the phone with a "ho-hum" monotone, dis-interested voice....i introduce myself and mention that SVFerrari suggested i call them...

boy did he perk up.

any good or bad comments about the shop would be interesting to read...

thanks

jb

10. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I would call Scott at La Jolla Audio and ask him for a Bay area referral.

You do not want someone "experimenting" with your car.

11. MrGreenJeans

MrGreenJeans Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2005
    Even though he is up in Chatsworth call Kevin Wright at 818-445-8149. Kevin specializes in custom Ferrari stereo work. You will find his name all over the chat. He is truly one of the best in So Cal when it comes to Ferraris. He installed a killer stereo in my Dad's 612 when he had it and it was so clean it looked like factory. Give him a call he is a super nice guy and is very very good at what he does. Well worth it.

12. samyama

samyama Karting

Dec 10, 2006
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    John Berg
    thanks so much for suggesting Kevin - gave him a call and he was supremely helpful and confidence inspriring! after speaking with (and giving up on) the place in San Carlos (he wasn't sure "which one the 612 was"!!!), i was so pleased with Kevin's willingness to chat and explore options.

the fact that he's done around 30x612s helps a ton too.

i could ship him the car and it comes back all done. sounds wonderfully decadent to me :) after auditioning the components, the car is out of my hands anyway - which zip code doesn't matter too much...

thanks for all the help everyone!

and yes....the car is bloody amazing. with 43k miles, it just wants to be driven harder....i'll do my best :)

ciao

john

13. samyama

samyama Karting

Dec 10, 2006
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    John Berg
    howdy!

just wanted to give an update:

first of all, thank you everyone for the suggestion to call Kevin Wright - what a great guy so far, and he hasn't even touched the car. he's been in close touch with me, answers all emails quickly, and has faxed me a proposed plan and invoice.

his proposal based on my prefs is to replace all the speakers with Morels, the Z1 head unit (mounted flush like the pictures that have been posted from another 612), audisson amps, xm, sirius, radar (display in rear-view mirror), and the inevitable ipod link....

up to this point, this guy has proven he is a total pro. thanks for the reference everyone - i owe you all a ride in the car!!!

ciao

john

14. Fly'n DutchMan

Fly'n DutchMan Karting

Oct 4, 2005
    Agoura Hills CA
    Full Name:
    Sander Brouwers
    Get the XM/Sirus real time traffic, it's pretty slick if you haven't had a chance to try it already.