What is currently or coming - cutting edge race sim? | FerrariChat

What is currently or coming - cutting edge race sim?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Gershwin, Jan 7, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Best games on the scene for soon to be released under 360, PC or PS3 for racing, F1, Indy, Nascar, GT...you name it.

Thanks,

2. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    Forza Motorsport 2 on the 360.
    PGR3 on 360.
    Forza 2 would be the best to buy, although its not out yet.

3. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  4. fcman

fcman Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I've been hooked on rFactor for the PC

5. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Forza 2 - 360
    Project Gotham 3 (already out) - 360
    Gran Turismo 5 - Play Station 3

6. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    #6 WJHMH, Jan 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    lol nice I'll have to pick that up along with Forza 2 when it comes out.

8. Ryousuke

Ryousuke Rookie

May 19, 2005
    for PC check out the GTR series, by far the best games.

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    PGR is far from a SIM game..

Check out

R factor
    Live for speed
    GTR
    GTR 2
    GT legends

10. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I wish they would remake 355C.

11. avalys

avalys Karting

May 26, 2004
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Alex Valys
    The most realistic simulations, by far, are Live for Speed, Netkar Pro, and Nascar Racing 2003. Get a good force feedback wheel (Logitech G25), drive those three, and nothing else will compare. I have also heard good things about Richard Burns Rally, but never played it myself.

GTR2 and rFactor are more realistic than most games, but they can't hold a candle to those two. LFS and Netkar feel real. GTR2, GT Legends, and rFactor (which all use the same simulation engine) simply don't.

Project Gotham, Forza, Gran Turismo, and the rest are just entertainment - not even close to reality.

That's not say that they're not fun - hell, they might be more fun than a perfectly realistic simulation, depending on your preferences. But you'll feel like you're playing a game, not driving a car.

12. Zigno

Zigno Karting

GPL is so much like driving a '67 F-1 car that you can't do it because you don't know how to drive a race car. If you do know how to drive a race car, you can almost get a GPL car around the track without going off. Almost. That is Grand Prix Legends by the way. Once you "get it", it is almost as rewarding as actually driving a real race car. And, it takes the same level of concentration. I have Nascar 2003 and just fired it up again last night after watching Talledega Nights. Fun but not even close to GPL in terms of realistic physics engine, graphics, force feed back, and complexity. After all, we're road racers, not circle track guys, right?

Best version of GPL is GPL 2004 Demo. Download that with Watkins Glen, then add tracks from the GPL Track Database. You'll never look back.

13. avalys

avalys Karting

May 26, 2004
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Alex Valys
    Zigno, give LFS or Netkar a try - I probably shouldn't have included Nascar 2003 on the same level as those.

I've heard of GPL, but never given it a try - I didn't know anyone was still distributing it. I'll download that demo tonight.

14. Zigno

Zigno Karting

Thanks, I will. One reason GPL doesn't get old besides being such a challange is that there is a huge internet community dedicated to keeping it alive with updated graphics, new tracks by the hundreds, a huge amount of written advice, forums, the whole shabang so to speak.