Staggering performance of contemporary Ferraris | FerrariChat

Staggering performance of contemporary Ferraris

Discussion in '360/430' started by Gary(SF), Jan 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I was sifting through some old Road & Tracks this crisp morning (21 deg at 7 a.m. here is sunny NorCal) and came across a road test of the 333 SP, one of my favorite Ferrari sports racers. Amazingly, the straight line performance is very much in the ball park with the 599 GTB, and just a bit quicker than the F430, and that was with gearing for 167 mph!

333 SP (R&T Jan 1995)
    0-60......3.6 sec
    0-100....6.7 sec
    0-130...10.9 sec
    1/4 mi....11.3@133 mph

Of course on a race track it would be no contest, but in just 12 years comfy road Ferraris match the straight line performance of a million-dollar ('95 dollars, remember) Ferrari sports racer that dominated the field in its day!

Gary

2. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    What is amazing is that 599 has performance that a Novice can drive it quickly and a Pro would be in Heaven.

3. allegretto

allegretto Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2006
    Chicago Area
    Full Name:
    Herman
    Ahem,

I'll bet with track suspension mods and good tires, they'd come very close on the track as well.

4. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Only Tiff hated it...

5. 996cupracer

996cupracer Karting

Jan 12, 2006
    Westport, CT
    I wonder if those Road and Track numbers are accurate. On a race track, you could throw a million dollars into the 599 and it would still be no contest with the 333sp (this is my all time favorite Ferrari)

6. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    a million is A LOT of money:) it would be an entirely dff machine...i think the end result would ultimately lap a track faster than a 333...

7. quattro

quattro Karting

Jul 16, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Daniel Kelly
    I highly doubt this. 599 doesn't touch the 333SP for downforce the 333SP I would imagine can handle lateral g's up to almost 2g's I would imagine.(depending on aero setup of course, someone correct me please if you know real numbers) The way you set good times on the track is decided by how much speed you carry through turns. And i would venture a guess that the 333sp would leave a 599 far far behind in that category.

8. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    This is your brain.

This is your brain on drugs.

Any questions?

9. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    if by track suspension mods, tyres, etc...you mean turn it into a GT1 type racer, without the regs of being alms or any other series legal...ie, 700+ hp, new aero work, weigh 'round 950 kilos, yeah of course...

but then it would no longer be a 599 would it...

would think a million $ could get ya there...

10. allegretto

Aug 3, 2006
    Chicago Area
    Full Name:
    Herman

Tell us how many of these cars you have raced?

Gotta be honest here, you guys talk about tracking so much. But when someone asks a real track question you guys don't have many answers.

Except non-intellectual pseudo-witty answers as this.

11. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Current ALMS Gt cars (Corvette and Aston Martin) are turning laptimes equal to what the 333SP did 10 years ago. Current ALMS LMP cars are seconds faster than the 333Sp. Tires have a lot to do with this. The new Michelins are much better than what was around in 333SP days.

The 333SP was not a really good race car-sorry to say. It was average for its day, not as good as a Riley or Panoz GT car and well slower than previous GTP cars and later LMP cars.

The 333 SP lacked torque, downforce and had a fundamental understeer issue that was tough to dial out.

So a proper 599 GT ALMS car should be as quick as, or quicker than a 10 year old 333sp car.

12. allegretto

Aug 3, 2006
    Chicago Area
    Full Name:
    Herman
    Could not agree more.

However, I don't think you would need a full-blown ALMS just make a good showing. A good suspension tune, wheels and tires and a little exhaust/intake/chip work. No you likely would not beat a 333 but no doubt you would show well.

13. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I wonder if you have been watching Discovery Channel Street Tuner Challenge a little too much. The 599 is too heavy to do much on the track against a race car. Street cars and race cars are different by more than bolt ons!