Moving to Japan in 2008 | FerrariChat

Moving to Japan in 2008

Discussion in 'Asia' started by randall, Dec 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall
    I'll be moving to Japan in 2008 for a few years and was wondering what the market value is of 328's, 308's, 348's and TR's when compared to America? I get one car shipped and was just curious if there is any vehicle I could buy now to resell when I get there. Do the imported cars have to be RHD or is LHD also acceptable? Are there any other cars that can be bought in the US (for <$60,000) and sold there for a decent profit?

2. Gemm

Gemm Formula 3

Aug 19, 2005
    Essex, England
    I haven't lived there for years but I think people there normally like their gaisha to be properly LHD. This is purely their preference, so I'm not sure in terms of regulations but I hardly saw RHD foreign/imported cars there, so I believe they don't have to be RHD.

Sorry I have no idea about the market value.

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Speak of the devil... only 2 days ago, I was wondering what happened to you, as you hadn't posted in over a year.

If either relocating or ending Military Service, would a car be shipped via US Military vessel only to mainland US, or does that extend to foreign lands as well?

4. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall
    As long as the tour length is sufficient we can do a house hold goods shipment, which includes a car. Most shipping is done by civilians now, don't ask me why- seems it would be cheaper to use our own ships.

Unfortunately I have to sell my truck, since it won't be legal in Japan. I had to sell my 308 because I moved, so I kind of disappeared of the board for a while. I've actually moved twice in the last 2 years, now I'm in Virginia. Quite a change from Hawaii, but this mild winter is helping with the adjustment. I'm only here for ~18 months or so and then off to Japan for a few years. I'm pretty excited about that, I've wanted to try living there for a while.

I'll have to get signed up and back on the politics section and see who all is around. I've cruised other forums, but never found people that were quite up to par with the ones on F-Chat.

5. Modena Junya

Modena Junya Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 18, 2007
    I might be moving there too, maybe we could race. I'd probably smoke you.