What cell phone has the best web browser? | FerrariChat

What cell phone has the best web browser?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by jungathart, Jan 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    I have a Rzr through Verizon: very limited browsing. I have heard that the Blackjack through Cingular is one of the best phone for web browsing. But the bottom line is this: with what phone can I websurf F-Chat?
    Thanks.

2. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    PPC6700, though this may not be the answer you're looking for. I've played around with ThunderHawk and it's a pretty cool browser. What does NOT have a good browser is my BlackBerry...

3. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Walter,
    Thanks. It is a Sprint device and looks very nice. Is this what you are using?

4. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Yes, I use both the PPC-6700 from Sprint and the BlackBerry 7130e from Verizon. In this area I've found Verizon to have better network coverage than Sprint, but my Sprint plan is cheaper.

5. bgomez

bgomez Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I recently purchased a samsung blackjack and so far I have been very happy with it. So far it's the best phone for browsing the web.

6. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Thanks. What else did you consider before choosing the Blackjack?

7. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    If you can wait, the browsing on the new iPhone looks insane. Build on OS X and uses Safari.

8. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    I'm a Mac user and appreciate the stability of Safari, but do you think there are any inherent disadvantages to the iPhone being in GSM format at this time?? Should I wait to see if it will cross over to CDMA?

9. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    I think the iPhone looks great but there are significant disadvantages; IMO, one of those is the network. If you're willing to make the switch, Cingular/ATT has a pretty decent network. My parents have no problem with it at all. I'm happy with my Verizon CDMA service, so no switch in my future.

More important than the CDMA/GSM discussion for browsing though is the EDGE/EVDO discussion. The phone isn't 3G compatible, so it's going to be a much slower browsing experience, albeit in a cooler browser.

10. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I am a Verizon sales rep and I just got done doing a 3 month demo with the 8703 Blackberry. I was not a big Blackberry fan until a few weeks. It's a ok device but my only complaint was the click wheel on the side. Any large pages took forever to reach the bottom.
    Look into the Treo devices...they have the stylus that lets you simply drag down to the bottom of the page by touching the screen. I mess around with them all day at work and Fchat seems to work best on them. However we have had both devices for some time now and there is no telling what we have about to roll out in the future.

11. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    I'm not familiar with these terms. If you won't mind elaborating, I'll enjoy learning something new.:)

This is important to know; I'll try it the next time I'm at a store. Thanks.:)

12. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    I am responding to this post using the 6700. I like the browser a lot the keypad kinda sucks, and it is annoying big.

13. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    In a nutshell, Cingular's wireless network is called EDGE, and it uses 2G (2nd Generation) technology. Verizon's is called EVDO, and it uses 3G (3rd Generation) technology. 3G has enhancements over and is faster than 2G. Apparently, though, 2G is currently more widespread.

14. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Sprint also uses EVDO. When teathered to my laptop I can get 40KB/s down using either my 6700 or BlackBerry.

15. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Agreed about the big part, but then again I used Nextels for a long time..so I'm used to carrying around a brick. I can't wait til the 6800 comes out, I've been trying to see if I could get a deposit down or something to get the phone asap.

16. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    How do you measure "best"? That will determine your answer.

17. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I will check and see what info I can dig up on the 6800 tomorrow.

18. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    But doesn't big also give you a bigger screen?

Thanks.

Outside of F-chat, I don't need mobile access to the net. Everything else can take place on my Mac or IBM laptops.

19. bgomez

bgomez Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    The blackjack is a 3Gphone and it can switch to edge if needed. Cingular does support 3G and the speed is actually pretty good. Not really up on all the technology but that's what the guy that sold me the phone said.
    I also looked at the balckberry pearl and other blackberry devices and preferred the blackjack. It is pretty slim and once you get used to the buttons it's not an issue.

20. luxurybazaar

luxurybazaar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Peter
    E62 Nokia at Cingular, no question.

Has a cursor, does javascript, and is fast. I've played with lots of Blackberrys, Blackjacks, etc... no comaprison.

Only thing is that it's not on the new network the Blackjack uses, so it's slower. But the blackjack has a slow processor, so it doesn't matter when a big page comes up, because the thing chokes. :/

21. Ace503

Ace503 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Korben Dallas
    The blackjacks web browser is awesome. Im on f-chat on it daily, mainly while sitting in class :) Probably half of my posts in the past 3 monthes were made on the phone. Including this one!

Besides the web browser, its amazing in every other aspect. I havent had a single problem with it. The battery life is a little on the short side if your talking alot. Other than that though its awesome, mp3 player, incredibly loud speakerphone, high resolution camera.

22. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    I too surf fchat from my Blackjack.

23. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Guys,
    All responses thus far are most appreciated. I see alot of Blackjacks, so for those who endorse them: what disuaded you from the other models?

(btw...F-chat during class? Heh heh, while I was still sitting in classes we had no such diversion...just snoozing!):D

24. Ace503

Ace503 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Korben Dallas
    I looked at several different pda phones, the Nokia E62, Palm Treo, Cingular 8125 and the blackjack. I chose the Blackjack for several reasons; for one because it was the slimmest and it just felt good, its not akward at all in your hands, it has a perfect layout. Also because the interface was the easiest to use. Not all tricky and confusing just because they try to make it look cool and fancy. The menu where you get to applications, and settings and what not, is very reminiscent of a palm OS, large icons, four wide by two tall.

I also really like the finish of the blackjack. Its not the very smooth cheap feeling plastic, it almost feels like rubber.

25. bgomez

bgomez Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Blackjack has been good so far although like luxurybazaar mentioned the processor bogs down sometimes but I have found that if you close all running tasks it seems to speed up. Does anyone know how to view excel, or powerpoint documents on it or is this simply not possible. I also haven't messed with loading any mp3's on it because I think it just doesn't have enough memory. A friend of mine has a motorola slvr with about 50 songs on it run by a version of itunes. Is this possible with the blackjack??
    Thanks, Bill