first day with 360 spider and DISASTER doh! | FerrariChat

first day with 360 spider and DISASTER doh!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by spice, Jan 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spice

spice Karting

Sep 27, 2004
    kent
    Full Name:
    spice
    so there i am looking forward to collecting my first spider and 2 inches of snow doh!, salt ,slush and dirt double doh!, then the skies cleared and out came the 911 for its goodbye drive to Marrenello and back came the spider, quick clean down , then into the garage to wait for a dry day, "lets put the roof down " really show off those beautiful lines , sat in the car engaged the hood switch and DISASTER struck , whats that noise ? **** think i better close it and try again , up came flap, out came roof, over came roof, down went flap, down went roof fins and then crunch and rapid beeping "****" "argthhhhhhhh" flap not engaged all the way down behind passenger and fin crunched down on it, stuck fast and scratched body work, Gutted or what first time i pressed the bloody thing.Much to the credit of Marenello collection vehicle with me within the hour and off to Egham for repair, not a good start, is this a common fault ???

2. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    What a shame, sorry to hear that mate :(

FWIW I have a few mate with Spiders and non of them or me have ever encountered any probs, the hood normally works beautifully.

Congrats on the new car anyway, great choice ;)
    Get some pics up when the sun shines mate

3. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    That is an absolute choker... it may be worth searching the 360/430 section to see if anyone else has encountered this previously.

4. TESTADAZ

TESTADAZ Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    London, UK.
    Full Name:
    Daryn
    Never experienced any problems (touch wood)! sounds like maybe a part came away from its fixings allowing it to be fouled by moving parts.
    Hopefully Maranello will sort quickly.

5. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Have not had a problem so far (touches wood). MASSIVE improvement over 355, which was pretty dodgy to say the least!!

6. Mrg360

Mrg360 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2007
    Australia (Sydney)
    Full Name:
    Rob
    No crunching problem for me, however occasionally it just hesitates and just makes pumping noise without moving.
    I have to reverse it and start again.

7. Donie

Donie Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Spain/Ireland
    Rob,

I would guess that your soft-top pump reservoir is low in fluid. It's inside the panel behind the right hand seat. Tricky job, but not difficult, and you'll need a small syringe to top it up with the same type fluid that MB use in the suspension of some of their cars, called ZH-M fluid.

If you need more details PM me.

8. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Great username for a 360 Spider owner :D :D

.....welcome to the party & hope you get your car back & sorted in short order.

I.

9. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    surely there is some sort of failsafe which doesnt allow the system to knacker the hood/bodywork in the event of the fluid being low????

10. TESTADAZ

TESTADAZ Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    London, UK.
    Full Name:
    Daryn
    Adam, donie was refering to rob's slow operation problem not Spices mechanical collision. Donie's diagnosis is correct and always worth checking
    if operation is slow. An easy fix.

11. spice

spice Karting

Sep 27, 2004
    kent
    Full Name:
    spice
    well the car is being repaired, i was told by Marenello who i must say have been superb, that the probablem may have occured because i activated the roof at a tempreture at below five dgrees and the fluid was cold ?? find that a bit hard to beleive, i presume they will check the level ?, car has very low milage , suggesting the roof may only have been activated a few times in the last year, hope the repair is perminate, i shall be holding my breath every time i use it doh!

12. cuthbert

cuthbert Karting

Jun 13, 2005
    Hi there great car. I have owned 360 and 430's fact is you should have engine running when moving the roof and Maranello are right they are very susceptible to temperature. In high temperature you definately will find an issue if you have driven say 300 miles in 27c and decide to put the roof up - it will struggle so best to leave to cool for a bit. I have found this in Europe.
    Enjoy your car .

13. spice

spice Karting

Sep 27, 2004
    kent
    Full Name:
    spice
    i had just driven the car for about 20 miles, and i did have the engine running as was just about to drive it into the garage, Marenello say the car may take two weeks to repair, well i have had it for 2 hrs so far, not a good start

14. LittleBro

LittleBro Formula 3

Jul 7, 2004
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Woody
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. What a complete p'sser as a start to the ownership. Fingers crossed that it all gets sorted quick sharp.

As a side not, I drove my Brother-in-laws 360 on a long jaunt a few christmases ago, had the roof down all day, got home and couldt raise the roof. Apparently, this was caused by the hyraulic fluids being too hot!

15. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Bad luck. I saw your 997 at Sevenoaks this morning.

16. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Bad luck Gary. I saw your 997 at Sevenoaks this morning.

17. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Bad luck Gary. I saw your old 997 at Sevenoaks this morning.

18. spice

spice Karting

Sep 27, 2004
    kent
    Full Name:
    spice
    hi Ken
    yeh the 997 was a great car, what they got it up for ?. i am happy with the deal i got, nothing comes close to ferrari ownwership, missed my F355 so much, as the 997 was not my every day car it was just not special enough to keep for dry days, the 360 is fantastic, well for the two hours i had it, it will be back next week , I HOPE

19. spice

spice Karting

Sep 27, 2004
    kent
    Full Name:
    spice
    i very nearly bought the 04 modena they have, very nice, 4 owners put me off a bit , the spider was half the mileage and one owner, at least i would still have had a roof if i bought that doh!

20. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    No price yet as the sign said waiting preparation. Was it you with your 355 I spoke to at the Grasshopper early last year?

21. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Was that the red/ crema Modena?

22. spice

spice Karting

Sep 27, 2004
    kent
    Full Name:
    spice
    yeh i was there, red 355 GTS with sports seats , think you had a late Modena ? yep it was the red one with cream and red piping, very nice, hows yours fairing ???

23. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Yes, that was me. The car is excellent and now for sale:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/128978.htm

Good car but time to look at something else after almost 2 1/2 years.

24. spice

spice Karting

Sep 27, 2004
    kent
    Full Name:
    spice
    very nice and at a good price , should sell no probs, paid £82k for the spider, 7.6k on the clock one owner, sabbia daytona seats, looks and drives superb, what are you going to replace yours with ?? dont bother with a 911 , million miles away from ferrari, unless its a GT3

25. KenC

KenC Formula 3

Dec 7, 2003
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Spider sounds nice. I've no firm plans for the replacement yet, but it will be a Ferrari. Decided to see if the 360 goes and will review the situation then. I have had three offers since Friday when I placed the ads. 430 F1 is high on my list, either in coupe or spider versions.

A 911 has come second on my list of cars to buy 4 times now. It has lost out to a variety of cars: XK8, M3 Cab, 360 and 630 Beemer. Its just never met all my criteria at the right time.