Claying Ferraris? (Detailing Question) | FerrariChat

Claying Ferraris? (Detailing Question)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Qksilver, Jan 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey Everyone, I was wondering if any of you clay bar your Ferrari's. I've been told they don't take well to claying, but I feel like our car could use it as there is a slightly gritty feel when you touch the paint. It looks great-- but doesn't feel so amazing. Any solutions? Thanks in advance!

-Joe

2. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    Joe, DO NOT TOUCH THE FERRARI!!! STEP AWAY FROM THE CAR!

3. J Nicks

J Nicks Karting

Dec 4, 2003
    Curious to hear the reason not to clay the car.

4. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I've clay barred my 355 several times. Can't think of what makes Ferrari paint so special that it can't be detailed...

-R

5. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    no reason not to. Just not JOE! :D

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I clay bar my BB512i about once a year...it really makes the paint smooth for wax application...

7. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I clay (Griots) my 308 at least once a year. Amazing results...

8. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Well, before we had the car delivered we wanted the dealer to detail the car as it felt slighlty gritty. Upon hearing that, they told us Ferrari's don't "take well" to clay bars. I smell BS. Anyway, just picked up the Meguire's kit-- off to fix the Ferrari!

-Joe

9. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart
    Go to it Joe you'll be pleased with the results. The place where I bought my 308 details all their exotic cars using clay before leaving their showrooms. I think someones full of BS (bad stuff).

10. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    I suspect some guys fear claying the older paint before clearcoat. I've done mine without any apparent problems. My '83 has been repainted so I know it is a clearcoat paint job. Actually my painter called me when he had it to show me that the engine cover was the only thing on the car that was not repainted with clearcoat and talked me into letting him paint that so everything would be clear.

11. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    After starting to use the clay bars a year ago I can't ever go back. I was reluctant at first as I couldn't understand how it didn't scratch the paint.

Use a good quality bar like Griots and lots of the detailing spray as the lubricant. Good luck!

12. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    All done. Clayed with Meguire's than waxed with Pinnicle. It is looking and feeling REALLY smooth! Like glass!!! Thanks everyone.

Turns out clay is not kryptonite to Ferraris. In fact, it is %100 awesome!

-Joe

13. crazynova23

crazynova23 Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Ferrari paint is just like any other automotive paint.... It can be clayed as such, polished as such, and washed as such.

14. crazynova23

crazynova23 Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Did you know that Clay Magic makes everyones clay? They have a patent, so they are the only ones allowed to make automotive clay, so its mostly all the same..

15. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    Where'd you hear that??? I'm curious now.