so i just ate my first raw egg.... | FerrariChat

so i just ate my first raw egg....

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Ryan S., Jan 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    so i was watching that hulk hogan reality show and he was downing raw eggs. Seeing how i have never downed a raw egg i though i would go ahead and try it. First try i spit it out. Second try though i told myself i couldnt be a girly man and i just went for it. Holy crap are they hard to take down, its harder than the nastiest of tequilla or vodka.

Anyone do this on a regular basis? Think im gonna start out doing it on days that i do bench and than hopefully ill aquire a taste for it and start taking em every morning.

For those that do this did you notice a difference in anything? feet get bigger? more brain power? gray hair? anything?

later,
    Ry

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  3. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    i hear ya but from ive been reading its not that big of a risk...

"If one looks at studies which have been done to analyse the risks of contracting salmonella from raw eggs, it is surprising to find out how low this risk actually is. A study by the U.S. Department of Agriculture in 2002 (Risk Analysis April 2002 22(2):203-18) indicates that only 2.3 million, out of the 69 billion eggs produced annually, are contaminated with salmonella.

So this really means that only 0.003 % of eggs are infected. Viewed another way, only 1 in every 30,000 eggs is contaminated with salmonella, which shows how uncommon this problem actually is.

Based on those numbers, the average person would come across a contaminated egg only once in 42 years"

numbers could be off but whatever lol...

4. Zahiba

Zahiba Formula 3

Mar 29, 2005
    Victoria, Canada
    Full Name:
    Malcolm
    What are you? Rocky? :D

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I wouldn't suggest it. The raw egg white protein (avidin) binds to biotin (vitamin H, also known as B7) and it will make a deficiency. You have bacteria in your intestines that make biotin, but if you're on antibiotics, it can kill those bacteria. It's best to cook the egg whites, which denatures the protein (unwraps it). It won't bind to biotin in that form.

Edit: And there really aren't nutritional benefits to eating raw eggs. It's just more convenient to eat/drink instead of heating them. Plus, the protein is the same after you cook it except for stucture. The structure, in either form, will be broken down in its simplest form, the amino acid, before entering your blood stream.

6. bgomez

bgomez Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I eat 5 raw egg whites for breakfast daily. Separate the yolk from the whites and throw them away then mix the whites with a little more than an equal amount of orange juice and chug it. The OJ takes away %95 of the bad taste. Quick easy and keeps me going till lunch. Try it, let me know what you think. Oh, and by the way I have been doing this for at least 15 years and never had salmonella; knock on wood.
    Bill

7. Zahiba

Zahiba Formula 3

Mar 29, 2005
    Victoria, Canada
    Full Name:
    Malcolm
    You eat it like breakfast ? Interesting, now I want to try this.

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    good for energy or to build muscle ?

9. ^@#&

^@#& F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Feb 27, 2005
    phew. By looking at the thread title, I thought this was about going down on a girl during that time of a month... glad I'm wrong.

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Well, egg white is made almost entirely of protein so it could be used to help bulid muscle. You won't get built by just eating it of course. As far as energy...all food is energy. It's protein so it isn't really used as the first source of energy your body uses (that's what free sugar in your blood and stored sugar in your liver and muscle is for).

11. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I used to just boil them & just eat the egg whites only, I never was a fan of eating them raw.

12. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    i actually watched the new one last night lol...

13. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    just curious but do you work out at all?

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Yeah, at least I did. Used to eat 10 egg whites a day for breakfast (cooked). I put on mass, but that was in the past. I was on a pretty strict diet. Slow burning carbs (whole grains basically). Why, is there something I said that you find incorrect? You burn free sugar in your blood and then stored sugar (glycogen) in your muscle and liver. Resting skeletal muscle burns fat.

15. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    nah was just curious. i dont know really anything about this stuff except that you better go hard or go home lol..i get my ideas from reality tv that should tell you something...

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Heh, I've been trying to motivate myself to get back in shape. I bought 72 eggs (good for a week) three weeks ago along with a lot of chicken breasts and fish, etc. I haven't gotten around to starting again. :( I just keep eating cereal since it's so much quicker than cooking eggs. I won't drink raw eggs because of what I said above even though it would be convenient as hell. :)

17. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    You have a twisted mind, Noah, a twisted mind.

;)

18. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    BMW, what do you think about the idea that the yolk, which contains cholesterol, is best eaten while in the semi liquid state, perhaps, warmed up some, rather than cooking the smitherines out of it, solidifying it, which oxidizes the otherwise, unoxidized cholesterol? Concluding....soft egg with unoxidized cholesterol is better? (It's the oxidation that is the bad part?)
    Joe

19. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    I agree with this. It is not beneficial to eat raw eggs.

You will find bodybuilding.com advises against it also.

20. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I bet it gave you some nasty gas.

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Woot, back on track. :) Started off with 10 egg whites and 4 slices of wheat bread for breakfast. Played a lot of bball today. I'm going to take it easy to get back to heavy weights slowly.

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I don't eat yolks. One yolk is your 60% daily value of cholesterol and I get all of mine from chicken breasts (1lb of pre-cooked chicken breasts). But specifically, I never got into the depths of understand the oxidation of cholesterol. Sorry.

23. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    this **** is so complicated.

24. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I just ate 2 salmon sandwiches with white bread, is that good or bad ?

25. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    hahahaha

The fish oil in salmon is very good. Can't go wrong with salmon :) Don't stress too much over white/wheat bread. Oats, wheat bread, grains, etc, have slow burning carbs.