Knoxville Ferrari owners? | FerrariChat

Knoxville Ferrari owners?

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Island Time, Dec 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    After 3 years of circling the pool, I just cant stand it any longer, I've got to get wet! Here's my favorite/1st choice if I wanted trouble:

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/used-cars.php?id=c1772afe5f95e951fa91e3d3541f83cc

But...I'm no wrench, and I'd like to try to have at least as much fun as trouble if possible...so I've about decided to buy a Boxer...512i. (I'm feeling myself gettin' old...and at such a young age!). If anyone in the Knoxville area wouldn't mind lettin' me bend their ear alittle bit as to what their experience has been with Ferrari ownership...then by all means...I'm lookin' for volunteers to "set me straight" on what I'm about to do. I know nothing about Ferrari...I'm just tired of Porsches...need a change of scenery (good, bad, or indiffenent, just a change)...

Thanks
    Dave Cate
    Knoxville, TN

2. m3mike

m3mike Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2006
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2 m3mike, Dec 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dave,

I haven't been a Ferrari owner all that long but I have wanted to be for a long time. This may I made the plunge and bought a 360. I am completely happy with the decision. I love the car and frequently go out to the garage to look at it. I have owned a numer of Porsches including a 996 turbo I took to the track regularly. Great cars, but definitely not the "event" that a Ferrari is. One of my business partners has owned Ferraris for quite some time and really peaked my interest. The clincher was when we went to the US Grand Prix in Indianapolis the year Ferrari had their national meeting. There were cars everywhere and the nicest, most enthusiastic people you would ever want to meet.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Ado4wd

Ado4wd Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Germantown, TN
    Full Name:
    Andrew O
    That is a gorgeous car, I really love the wheels.

4. m3mike

m3mike Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2006
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks, the car is lowered, has front and rear challenge grills. The interior is black with red stitching and I have the carbon fiber race seats. I have a carbon fiber interior ordered for it. The carbon fiber will be black/red to match the stitching. I'll post pics when it is installed.

5. mini_ferrari

mini_ferrari Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Jerry Preisel
    The car looks awesome! Can't wait to see the interior.

6. Island Time

Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    What a gorgeous 360 Mike! Those red calipers, wheel crests, and shields really "pop out" against that color.

I've lived in Knoxville all of my life. The first time I ever heard a 360 was about 3 months ago. I was at the Jiffy Lube on Kingston Pike. When it went by, everyone in the place stopped what they were doing to see what in the world could be making such a SOUND. Maybe it was you! How many can there be in K-town?

I then saw a Testerossa on Northshore soon after. The only 2 Ferrari's I've ever seen here, almost back to back.

Dave

7. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Stick around. There are several of us running around K-town...

8. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
  9. m3mike

m3mike Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2006
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You'll see the testarossa in West Knox quite a bit. He is either a walker or runner because it is frequently parked over at the Concord soccer fields. I drive my 360 and you will see it out on nice days, also take to track days.

10. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    My cars are occasionally in town when I am visiting family (or the mechanic has one of them that he's working on).

11. Island Time

Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    A 308 of yours I saw in Dandridge, it's been awhile.

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    That would be one of mine. It's back home in AL (I'm in TN this week), but it will be back sometime in 2007 for a new paint job.

13. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Larry, Who's your mechanic? I'm trying to toubleshoot a slight miss at idle and under load under 2000 rpm's. Could probably use a hand...

14. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Larry, Who's your mechanic? I'm trying to toubleshoot a slight miss at idle and under load under 2000 rpm's. Could probably use a hand...

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Actually I'm Erik. I do know a Larry in the area with a 330 GTC and a 400i...

My mechanic is James Ward. PM me if you want his number.

16. m3mike

m3mike Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2006
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    IF it was up by Lovell road that was me. I have a tubi on it and it sounds really good. I take it to the gym (the Rush) sometimes on nice days.

17. NewFerrariGuy74

Dec 26, 2006
    I am thinking about purchasing either a 308, 328, or 348 very soon. Are there any reliable mechanics in the Knoxville, TN area? If so, this would make my purchase decision a bit easier so I would not have to haul my Ferrari off to Atlanta for servicing. Would someone please help me out with a mechanic's name and phone number. Thank you.

18. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    I get my 3.2 worked on by Skip Trammel at Air Cooled Classics. They are a Porsche shop, but Skip knows Ferraris fairly well and works on several.

Also, LNS Motorsports on Sherway has some Ferrari gurus, although I've never used them myself. Mike Grande is one of the owners.

19. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    I get my 3.2 worked on by Skip Trammel at Air Cooled Classics. They are a Porsche shop, but Skip knows Ferraris fairly well and works on several.

Also, LNS Motorsports on Sherway has some Ferrari gurus, although I've never used them myself. Mike Grande is one of the owners.

20. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003

21. Lee-'78_308

Lee-'78_308 Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Maryville, TN
    Full Name:
    Gary Lee Pierce
    It's funny. I had my 308 for 3 years and James Ward became an absolute LEGEND to me in the time I owned it, though I never met the man! So many people told me about him and his "shop" at his little house in Dandridge that I had to see it for myself. I found it, and sure enough, there was a 308 and a couple of Porsches out front. The guy was described as kind of crazed genius mechanic, the sort of man who can literally "lay hands" on a car and know what's wrong. Then you'd hear that he had been driving your car around town. He'll even load up tools and come to your house, so I hear.

Everyone said he loves to work on British cars but his real passion is figuring out the Ferrari. Very interesting fellow. I never needed his services because me mechanic in Maryville was so good (Tim Pitts at Performance Tuning), but I would definitely consider taking a car to James Ward after all the stories I've heard.

22. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    I recommend Mike Grande at LNS Motorsports. He's first rate. Speaking of needing a mechanic- I was out recently driving my 308GTS to the great metropolis of Clinton (I live in the sticks) and a rock kicked up by a Dodge pickup cracked my windshield!!! Arghh! I only drive my Ferrari a couple thousand miles a year. This should happen to my Chevy truck! Anybody know where to get a new windshield?

23. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Wow Lee, sorry to hear that. Any luck with the usual sources?