Tail of the Dragon (Must Read) | FerrariChat

Tail of the Dragon (Must Read)

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Bill2, Feb 5, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bill2

Bill2 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2004
    GA
    This was posted on my site. It has not been confirmed, but Ithought I should share it.

- Bill

"EVERYONE WHO GOES TO DEALS GAP------PLEASE READ THIS-----I'M TRYING TO HELP YOU ALL OUT"

posted by a State Trooper:

"Hey, just to give you a heads up for next season----we have a new captain in the Knoxville district which covers Blount county------he has already told us that we will put a stop to the "race track driving" up on the dragon this year------so far what they have said is that the speed limit is 30mph and "ANYONE" caught going 50mph and up will be charged with reckless driving and will be jailed and their bike/car will be impounded-----I am telling you this because i am trying to put the word out to everyone i know----or to people who know people that go up there-----I don't want to have to take people to jail for this---however I have bills to pay and I kind of like having a job---so never the less I have to do what i am told to do-----so the way i see it is that if killboy.com knows and you know and dealsgap.com knows and whoever else can find out can pass this along---it will benefit everybody--------feel free to copy and past this and let everyone know-------if you get caugh t up there it is only your fault because i am trying to pass the word along for everybody's sake-----we are not just going to come up from the bottom like in years past---they are gonna have us go through cherohala skwy in north carolina and come from the top down to the bottom----so no more free rides on your way back to the state line----they are gonna bring unmarked cars with radio's and have unmarked bikes up there----this will be a joint effort with blount county and the THP-----The entire THP motor unit will be brought in 2 people at a time(for a week long assignment) to be paired up with the local car----they plan on busting tail at least 3-4 times right off the bat---then they will sit back and see what takes place-----these orders came from Nashville Headquarters---we have a complete brand new higher ranking structure from the very tip top spot down----they have said we will work until the problem is solved----just wanted to give you and your friends a heads up..... .....SIGNED..........Trp Cagle with THP assigned to Blount County Division----(don't come crying to me if you get busted----cause I'm telling you now)"

2. brendon0

brendon0 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Brendon
    Belize is looking better and better every day....

3. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    What's Belize? Cause it sounds like I'm gonna need an alternative now, and I'm kinda pissed because I haven't been to the dragon yet. At least it's a state trooper letting people know. What CRAP, I tell you. Why can't it be like the Skyline in Japan?

Edit: Might wanna post this in the main section.

4. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Note to State Trooper: Thanks for the warning and all... but just because you gave a warning doesn't absolve you from being a fascist storm trooper!

There is no "problem". There is only revenue potential.

Anyhow, while the dragon is fun and all there are plenty of great track events at tracks all over the southeast where you can flog the piss out of your car all you want without road tax collectors hassling you around every corner.

PCA, BMWCCA, NASA, SCCA and other groups....

Terry

5. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I have been there a few times and just last fall again. Nobody, nobody is going 30 except the mini van people. All the bikes are flying including me. The place is just a test track for crotch rockets. If this is true the state will lower the sales tax rate.

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I was reading and was very concerned as I intended to go there this weekend - until I realized that I don't get up to 50mph on the Dragon... :)

7. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I was tagged by a helicoptor up there a few years ago, just south on 129, diabolical.

8. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    Actually 30mph can not be maintained thru all the curves at all times and is very fast at times.

9. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Has Ron and Nancy seen this?

10. Bill2

Bill2 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2004
    GA
    So true; unless you try it in an Elise. Then it's pretty darn near possible.

Guys, I think the law enforcement should work WITH the people who want to use this road. No trucks can use the road because of the curves. Tourist rarely just go on the road without knowing what to expect.

If it were up to me, I say put a toll booth at the beginning and end. Charge a fee and sign a waiver. Open up one direction for the morning, then the other direction after lunch. The states would make more money off this than issuing tickets. The USA could use a version of the Nordschleife like they have at Nürburgring.

I for one would pay the toll. You know what's funny, in Germany you don't sign a waiver to jump on to the public toll road known as the Ring. You just buy a toll ticket, push it in the box and the gate rises! Then just punch it!

I'm all for closed track events. But sometimes it's more fun to just pay as you go; like Germany. And you really can't get the type of driving expense on a race track like you can at the Dragon.

- Bill

11. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    guess the state is tired of footing the bill for scraping hot shoes off trees.

12. JGTCNSX

JGTCNSX Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    New TN law states that 20 mph over is now reckless driving and you will go to jail at the officers discretion. So this message holds some weight. I hear that there is a big push by Metro PD in Nashville that 20 over is a trip to jail and a 2 ticket citation! So TN Hwy Patrol is following Metro PD or Metro is following their lead. Traffic citations are for one real reason, CITY and STATE REVENUE! Sure pull over all the DUI's you can, but leave the rest of us alone! I spend a lot of time in Italy, to this day I have never seen someone pulled over for speeding and I have only seen a few traffic accidents.

Time to sell out and move to the EU! Less freedom every day in the states!!!

13. m3mike

m3mike Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2006
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just for a little perspective, I am an anesthesiologist at UT hospital in Knoxville. We spend a good deal of time and waste a lot of resources trying to put the monkeys back together who go up to the dragon and wrap their bike around a tree. If you want to go fast go to track days, thats what they are for, and nobody gets a ticket.

14. JGTCNSX

JGTCNSX Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2005
    Nashville, TN

I agree go to the track, keep in mind plenty of people get hurt and killed on tracks. If someone gets hurt or killed on the dragon they did so because they had a choice to do so and that is the way it should be!

15. beezerhound69

beezerhound69 Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Suwanee
    Full Name:
    Tom
    What about the person or persons they kill/hurt in a crash because they went above the law? Did they HAVE a choice ? I'm sorry, but your logic fails to address the x-factor, other people out for a nice drive.

If you want to push the envelope, pay for some track time where the only person that gets hurt is you.

16. bimmer32five

bimmer32five Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MD
    Full Name:
    Mark
    i've been to the dragon the past 2 years and am going back this year. I'm all for the added enforcement. It's NOT a racetrack and cars and bikes treat it this way (including a few buddies). I rarely get out of 2nd gear, on occasion 3rd gear on my bike. I'm not trying to break track records. It's a scenic area. I hope the police stick to their word.

17. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    You must be on a hog....or be an accountant.

18. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
  19. m3mike

m3mike Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2006
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Actually, almost nobody gets hurt at track days. There was a death last year at Fontana when a Porsche Carrera GT crashed. This was the first death at a true track day/drivers ed ever. Even in the worse case scenario on a track you only hurt yourself and not some poor putz taking his family out for a scenic drive.

20. bimmer32five

bimmer32five Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MD
    Full Name:
    Mark
    i am an accountant hahahahhaha. but seriously, there's no need to get out of 2nd or 3rd gear. the turns are VERY tight. And i have no respect for those that drag knee on the street.

21. DaveC20853

DaveC20853 Karting

May 22, 2006
    This one has been making the rounds on a lot of forums. First thing I invite people to do is go from Blount county to the south end of the dragon via the Cherohola. That is going to take a few hours unless you a going full bore and don't encounter any "slow" traffic. Does the THP really have the resources for that. How does NC feel about Tn cruising through their state on a regular basis? More importantly why isn't this on the ToD website? How come none of my buds down in K'ville are talking about this?

I think this a ploy by some locals to discourage "out of staters" from hitting the Dragon.

I would think Ferraris would be much happier on the Cherhola anyways. Roads not quite as tight and many more scenic overlooks.

Edit: Turns out to be true afterall. http://www.easttnriders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14390 It's 10 pages long but they did confirm it with Trooper Cagle.

PS: Watch goose's vid on page 9.

22. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    It's pretty easy to do 20 over in my 430 with those twin turbos and 725hp using racing gas with nitros.

23. Steve Marschman

Steve Marschman Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Idaho Falls
    Full Name:
    Steve Marschman
    Well, that isn't quite true. There are quite a few motorcycle pilots that can get through every corner at speeds higher than 30... a lot higher. Not me, I'm just a beginner. But I can assure you I get through there a lot faster on my Honda F4i than in my Testarossa.
    Steve

24. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    Steve does your TR scrape on the road in those deep turns? It must be close.

25. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Funny but for a car guy the Cherohala Skyway is a much better drive. You actually have passing zones and areas where there are slow lanes! And the corners are much better for a car. Some of the switchbacks have deep camber, lots of width, great views around the bend for oncoming traffic. You can really use all the road and not worry about a semi coming up the other way.

Tail of the Dragon is cool for a bike, or for "punting around" in a car, but really, there are a bunch of better roads for a car guy in the general area. And less traveled./abused!