QA1 Front shocks with NO A-arm modification! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

QA1 Front shocks with NO A-arm modification!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Birdman, Jan 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I can't speak for Verell. I know he is going to at least look into having these made. When I talked to Chris Marsh (an fchatter with a very reasonably priced machine shop) about making these, his price didn't start to get "do-able" until we got to 20 units, because of the amount of machine setup time. That would mean 10 buyers. The price goes down from there. At 50 units (25 buyers) the price was downright reasonable. Not sure we could get that many though. When this thing is done and installed, Verell will probably ask for a head count and see if there is enough interest. The problem with a part like this is that it's too expensive to have a stack of them machined to keep in "stock" for one or two customers every month or two. You need some volume to get the set-up costs amortized, just like Scott's air injection plugs.

Birdman

2. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I wasn't planning on doing shocks anytime soon, but if the only way to fit QA-1s (down the road) means getting in on this group purchase so that I can one day fit the fronts sans grinding, I suppose I'm in (depending on the price). Ten buyers shouldn't be hard on a board like this...Twentyfive...not likely.

3. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Even with the lack of sleep, you still have time to do a good one. :)

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    You are probably right. The thing I want to point out here is that I'm not doing the suspension on my car because I'm particularly trying to "upgrade" or make the car more track-worthy or anything. My Konis are just old and worn out, and my springs are saggy. It just doesn't make sense to me to replace the Konis and the springs with stock on my car because the price for new Konis/springs is high, and then the car will have the motorboat (front higher than back, huge fender gaps) ride height of a stock 308, which looks retarded. So, the QA1 adjustables to me are just a means to have a nice new suspension plus the adjustability of ride height. The adjustable damping/rebound is just a bonus because honestly, I don't know enough about suspension tuning to be able to set them. (I'm just going to put them in the middle and see how it rides, unless someone wants to give me some pointers!) My point here is that all of these cars have old suspension. At some point, they all need shocks. Some people will prefer to keep the stock components for concourse, but if that is not particularly important, the QA1s make the most sense. They are not expensive, and totally adjustable. This special shock eye means that the car doesn't have to be modified to accept the QA1s so you can return the car to stock later very easily with no permanent changes to the car. Grinding the A arms.....ughhhh!!!!

That's my long winded sales pitch on why even someone that is currently not considering doing a suspension project might want to pick up a set of these in a group buy....for the future when your shocks clearly need to be replaced and you gasp at the price of doing a Koni/Ferrari spring/Ferrari bushing replacement.

Birdman

5. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Wow, that's an odd picture....Paris in a bathing suit eating a burger in front of a pickup truck. Oh wait, it is designed to appeal to good ol' boys, I get it!!

Birdman

6. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    So for a group buy, we've got Aaron (Perfusion) and me (Owens84QV)

Need eight more. Any takers?

7. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    I was going to do mine next winter.

If we get enough people then yeah, put my name too.

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    How much of this is applicable to the non-abs 328?

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I have no idea at all. I have never stuck my head into the front fender well of a 328. Got any pics of the front suspension?

Birdman

10. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    1) LouGaudio
    2) Perfusion
    3) Owens84QV
    4) chris03053
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)
    9)
    10)
    11) ParisHilton
    12) SalmaHayek

11. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    For the record, check the center cap on the wheel. That's a Bentley, baby, but I could easily see how it could be confused with a truck. FWIW, the image is from a commercial she shot for a burger joint (Carl's Jr., I think? - on the east coast, you guys have "Hardees" - same deal). If you were to Google Image "Paris Burger", I think you'll find many more screen captures from the same commercial.

12. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    You know, I saw the Bentley cap on the wheel, but it looks like the car is so much larger than she is, it had to be a truck with some kind of weird wheels. Now that I look closer, she must be on her knees or something next to the car. Bentley, truck, whatever. now the ad makes even less sense. Rich Bimbo next to huge expensive car eating a burger. Burgers for rich people?

Back on topic, if my DAMN FRONT SHOCKS WOULD ARRIVE I could put them in and post finished pics.

Birdman

13. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    While this is NOT a group buy thread, critical mass for me to start one is 8 sets. Price incl shipping assumng a 10 set mfg run looks will be around $175/set.

BTW, If you're also going to want the Unobtainium QA1 shock adapter bushings, I need to know ASAP as I'm down to a couple of sets, and i'll have to work on sourcing them also. Their prices changes with quantity as well.

BTW, The price for last year's shock bushing group buy was based on 12 4-wheel sets. I had them made in Europe, & the exchange rate has deteriorated since then.

14. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Considering the amount of time we had to put into making mine, (around 17 hours machining them by hand) I think that's an awesome price. It's a no brainer. Hell, I'll probably buy a set of the production ones just because I know they will look cooler than my prototypes!!

Considering that 8 bushings for the Konis cost $160 ($20 each) the last time I checked, (which was 2 years ago) your price is probably still as good as or better than the alternative!

Birdman

15. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    1) LouGaudio
    2) Perfusion
    3) Owens84QV
    4) chris03053
    5) Birdman (because he wants the clean 'production' version)

16. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    If you bring yours over again so we can finish them off on the rotary table, they'll be hard to tell from the production ones.

Better yet: You buy production ones & give me yours. I'll clean them up & they'll eventually go onto my car.
    ;^)

Guess I better start working on some good CAD drawings...

17. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Jonathan,
    The guy you bought your QA1s sent me a e-mail and said to tell you,

"They're on there way!" (saying it with my best John Kerry voice.):D

18. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Got a tracking number today. I'll have the shocks Friday.

Birdman

19. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    Verell, I think I want your Unobtainium bushings, as I am currently restoring my 308 and have the suspension all torn apart as of last night.

So, as one of the guys who hasn't been paying attention to the history of all of this, and hates to search (sorry). Can you summarize into a simple format with cost? Something like this (if I understand it at all, or please modify).

Set of 8 bushings for QA1 Shocks (all 4 wheels) - $x per set.
    Set of QA1 modifed perches (all 4 wheels) - $x per set.

At any rate, put me on the list, and I would probably take your bushing set now - though I would like to know cost. Thanks - and keep up the excellent work!

20. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I've still got a few (2 I think, haven't counted recently) QA-1 4-wheel (8-bushings) sets at the Group Buy price: $127/4-wheel set + shipping

To order, Just click on my name, then select [Send eMAIL to Verell] from the drop down menu.

Please use the words:
    "ORDER: 4-wheel set QA-1 Bushings"
    in the eMAIL subject line.

Only the front shocks need longer mounting eyes to avoid the a-arm problem.

Price assumng a 10 set mfg run looks like it won't be more than $165/2-wheel set(2 eyes) + ~$10 shipping & insurance.

21. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Verell,
    One thing to consider in your price is the QA1 polyurethane bushing to put in the shock eye before the "Verell" bushing. They are not something the average dude can put in. You need a press. You will want to sell the eyes with the bushings installed. Summit gets $6 each for them. You could in theory have people recycle the one from the shock eye they will not be using, but in reality, getting that one out of the shock eye without destroying it is even harder than getting it into the new shock eye.

QA1 does make a two-piece version of that bushing to be installed without a press, but I didn't want to use it because I wasn't sure if it would be compatible with your bushing kit. Something to look into. Maybe it's fine.

I think you would be better off buying the 1 piece bushings and installing them in the eyes yourself, delivering a ready to go part. Factor $12 for the pair of bushings plus shipping and a little labor to install them. You will want to make a funnel-shaped fixture to press them in quickly, like a cork installer. I had a heck of a time doing it without one!

Birdman

22. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Umm,
    Thanx Birdman, I had forgotten about needing to buy the bushings when doing the preliminary shock eye price estimates.

I'll have to re-run the numbers very carefully once I get machining quotes.

For now, let's assume that I'll have to increase the price by the full $12/set, so assuming a 10-set buy, the price shouldn't be more than $177/set.

The 2-piece bushing s/b fine with my bushing set, as the c-clips & washers would nicely keep them in place. However, the 'cork inserter' would be easy to turn out on a lathe.

23. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    If you get some carpet munchers to go with your cork inserter, you'll be all set!

:D

Birdman

24. Brunello

Brunello Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2005
    Vancouver, British C
    Full Name:
    Al
    Birdman,

This thread specifically relates to QA1 Shocks for a 308. Can this shock kit fit a 328? Or has the suspension been modified to the extent this thread is entirely for the 308 series? I have an 86 328 and while I think my suspension is Ok, it may not be too long before I should look into changing the shocks, after all its almost been 20 years. I think I may still have the originals on the car. Also, I am presuming that the reason you have gone to all this trouble (including Verrell) is to be able to stiffen your own suspension over the stock Koni's available for your car. Has ride height been an issue or is it just the grounding of the car due to soft susp?

Al

25. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Al,
    My springs are saggy, so the car rides low. It looks great, but it bottoms out a lot. I want to keep the low ride height, but use stiffer springs.

I have no idea if this will fit a 328. Take some pics of the front suspension and we'll work on it!!

Birdman