Have 360 spider, considering another F-car; 348 coupe? | FerrariChat

Have 360 spider, considering another F-car; 348 coupe?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Steve R, Feb 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Hey guys.....

I know....does this belong in the 348 section? Nahhh....cause for those guys their 348's are their prize car, plus I want the perspective of other guys who own a more modern/powerful car.

I've got the 360 spider but I don't take it just anywhere at anytime...it's honestly more of my weekend car and generally taken out when the weather is nice and I know I have a relatively safe place to park it. I'm thinking about adding another F-car to the garage and I want something I can just drive & beat without much fuss. I already had a 355 and while it's nice, I feel it's too similar....plus all the issues with valves, cylinder liners, exhaust manifolds, etc, etc.

I was figuring a 12-cylinder but I'm really not all that into the 550 and if I'm gonna blow that kind of money I'm not going to beat on it and just drive it anywhere.....that kind of car would become a 2nd weekend/nice car. I'm looking for the freedom to just drive/park and not care. I'm thinking $50k would be pretty painless. I'm thinking 348. I LOVE the side-strakes and I've heard it has a nice raw feel to it. I also thinking coupe and I'm figuring doing some custom stuff wouldn't be the end of the world.

Would this be a high-maintanence unreliable pos? Would the performance be utterly pathetic compared to the 360? Is this a sound idea or would I be better suited with an Elise, used P-car or some freaky thing like a Noble?

Keeping the focus...would a 348 be a fun beater/daily or is it just a tempramental dog that I'll regret? We're talking $50k boys...so let's not start talking CS or F40's :)

2. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

1) I am sure many 348's are high maintenance pos's. I am fortunate that mine is not the pos you are refering to, as you probaby already know.
    1) 50k and Noble in the same sentence? Sign me up for one
    3) I think after you drive one, you will want one (ask Plugz)
    4) I think you will dig the raw feeling of the 348

3. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    #3 VTChris, Feb 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. marcmc8867

marcmc8867 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    I'll preface this by saying that I have no 348 experience at all but I think I'd be more inclined to spend just a little more like 60-65k and buy an early Porsche 996 Turbo or a late 993 Turbo. Some may be cheaper by now, I'm not sure...

I think you'd have a better car for the $$...better performance, likely more reliable, etc.

Or you could buy a newer non-Turbo and stay closer to 50k.

...and I'm no big Porsche-file although I did own an '02 996 C4S at one point...

5. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR

Buy a testa or a 512tr.....

6. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't think you would want any Ferrari to be a beater car. I think a lot of us here have a Porsche as a beater car, mine is a 993 C2S

7. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    What about a Maserati Steve?

8. marcmc8867

marcmc8867 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.

Having once owed an '02 Spyder GT, I'd highly recommend a Maserati. I had zero problems with mine in 15k miles. I know the newer models are even better, at least for Spyders anyway. The depreciation has been incredible...and I'd say that makes them absolutely great buys now...Coupe or Convertible. Throw a Tubi on there and you'll totally love it. They're great cars.

9. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Get a 996tt for 60k and be done with it! You won't find anything better...

EDIT: Didn't see Marc's post. What he said ;)

10. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Every one of those Porsche's look the same to me...I just don't think I'm a P-car kinda guy, I'm looking for something a bit more mid-sized. Besides, I already have an old VW Karmann Ghia convertible and as I see it a Porsche is just one of those buy gussied-up (flame-suit on).

I'm more in-tuned with what Chris is saying....it's a Ferrari, it's a kick, it's raw and fun. I wouldn't say I want a beater, I just don't want another "diamond". I dunno, maybe I should look at the P-car just the same.

11. Brav

Brav Formula 3

Nov 20, 2005
    OC, Rome
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Who are you calling a freak?? :D

The noble will be the most raw car you could get, with power. You can pick up a used one that has been done right, in the low 70s. The problem is, you will want to sell your 360 :D JK -2 different animals. You will find the Noble is an easy car to drive fast. Just no traction control, ABS, etc. If I had a few cars, I'd want to differentiate them. But just me.

Its a matter if what you want the car for, and what you will actually appreciate, like anything else. If it where me, I would be looking for a lightweight, powerful, and soulful coupe. 348 for rawness, maybe 355 for more power. Noble to oblitterate anyone :)

12. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    #12 VTChris, Feb 9, 2007

Reallllllllly!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Go for the 348. I take my car to work twice a week and run it on the weekends. It is has been reliable in the last 3 months that I have owned it. For 50K it is a steal. You get the same Ferrari feel and noise at much nicer price. If you drive it regularly and service it religiously it should be reliable.

The steering is really great, the handling too. However, the gearbox is quite recalcitrant compared to say a modern Ferrari. The visibility in the 348 is incredible. It is much better than my Audi which has tons of blinds spots. Speed wise I would put it in the same category as say the Nissan 350Z or so. It aint a 4.5 sec 0-60 car by any means. But who cares if you are having fun.

But I wouldnt want to park it just anywhere if you know what I mean. It is still a Ferrari and attracts a lot of attention - welcome or not. A Porsche is more anonymous choice and perhaps a safer bet but a 348 is a more fun car by far. An NSX is also a good, reliable choice but is not as anonymous as a Porsche

14. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    What a great question. I have 5 sport cars and everyone of the cars fills a different niche. My beater is a 1999 Porsche CAB. The car has been perfect and great to drive. I bought it new.

My "Sunday" cars are a, 2006 F430F1, 2005 Ford GT, 2006 Lotus Sport #8 of 50 built, 1965 427 Shelby Cobra, and the 1999 Porsche cab plus other stuff like motorcycles.

My question is the following. How do 348's drive compared to the 360. I owned a 2003 360 Modena for a few years and loved it. I saw my first 348 at a ferrari club owners event and I love the lines. It is a beautiful car!

Is the 348 stiff, does it have a ambionce that excites etc. If I bought one i would get a spyder so how does the top work. I also love the TR's but I was not happy with the way it drove. The chasis was very stiff. I am still drawn to them and the 348 might be different. Thoughts are appreciated and comparison to other cars are welcome.

Lee

15. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    #15 speedy_sam, Feb 9, 2007
    The nicest thing about the 348 is that it is like a big go kart - no power assisted steering, no traction control. The tail comes out if you want it. It has a proper V8 sound.

In a word it is RAW.

At the Steve harris dealership where I bought my car, I was thrown the keys to a brand new Elise to take to lunch. The car was awesome with great handling and slick gearbo. It was a bit of pain to get in and out but overall I felt it was way too easy to drive. But then I got into the 348 and I forgot all about the Elise. The 348 is a proper Ferrari with all the noise and involvement. I didn't even think for a minute to buy the Lotus instead. Of course I am well aware that the Elise would be 2X better at the track.

Going from a 360 to a 348, you will like steering feel and rawness but you will find the gearbox a pain. The clutch will be heavier but if a wimpy 160lb like me can easily manage it wouldnt be an issue for others.

I also think the 348 should be more throwable than the 360. The limits are lower - so you are not doing stupid speeds to provoke the car. It corners flat like a modern Ferrari.

Compared to a TR, a 348 is short on torque but is a lot more wieldy as it is smaller and lighter. The cabin is bigger in the 348 compared to the TR.

I guess you could test drive a local car and feel it for yourself.

Did I mention it looks good!

16. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom

17. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master

Sam,

YES...this is what I'm looking for; a car that I can romp on, push hard, throw around and collect rock chips without getting wiggy. A car I could throw the keys to a buddy and say "follow me" or a car I could lend to my brother and not lose sleep over.

My 360 is still a precious gem (to me) and I'm just a bit too intense on keeping it pristine. It has the kind of power where I can get into trouble real quick and it seems larger & heavier. It's also 3x the price of the 348.

I love the classic mini-TR side-strakes of the 348 and I think I wouldn't hesitate to put some nice wheels on it, crazy-loud exhaust and even some racing seats in it. Chris, Sam....your cars are MUCH too nice for what I want. I almost want somethign with a roll-cage in it. I'd try to do a lot of my own work and wouldn't even hesitate to do a bit of simple customization if it looked really cool and worked. As example, I'd take those big white lights in the front out and just put wire-mesh in it's place (like challenge grills)...

Sam....I like the tail-lights on your car, they look better then the usual ones I see. I don't care for those excessive horizontal grills (it's too Buck Rogers to me)....how come your rear tail-lights look that way? Is it that year, version or a custom mod???

18. the_jay

the_jay Formula 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Murrieta, California
    Full Name:
    Jay
    You should really consider a 996TT. Bullet proof, not too flashy, makes a great DD.

19. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M

Agree ! mine is 2002 C4 Cab. and a 2002-360 Modena .

20. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    I know the P-Car is more practical.....but I'm just not into those things. Besides, having a 2nd Ferrari would really p!ss off my jealous sister-in-law and isn't that what life is really all about?????? ;)

21. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I see what you mean ... a 348 will not be a beater as you would still want to look after her carefully.

What about say a used Spec Miata? That car is easily customizable and should be a real hoot to drive. It can easily be your track day and daily beater. A lot of fun for under $15K. Fixing things and servicing would be cheap. You can park it anywhere.

Other nice choices: MR2 turbo (a little tail happy though but hey it looks like a mini 348 :) ), Porsche 964 RS America, BMW M3 (E30). An NSX would be a great choice too.

About the rear of my car - it is a custom mod - the previous owner removed the rear strakes and put a small mess in front of the reverse lights and a chrome Cavallino to top it off. The glass engine cover is non-standard too. I dont like the strakes myself.

FYI - The 348 Series Speciale model comes standard without the rear strakes. To me it is the best looking 348 but it is quite expensive - $55-64k at least. It is a limited edition model with only ~100 made worldwide.

22. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Steve,

If you want an exceptional 348, you should look at the one Chris has!

23. Dean355

Dean355 Formula 3

Sep 4, 2006
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Dean
    + 10!!

Chris maintains and treats his car like a crown jewel! Too bad it was not for sale when I was looking for a 348!!

24. big kahuna

big kahuna Karting

Oct 29, 2004
    greensboro/bangkok
    Full Name:
    kelly hahn
    why didn't you just keep the f355 and use it for what you are proposing the 348 for?

25. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #25 PAP 348, Feb 11, 2007