Stremnaya Road in Bolivia -> "The Road of Death" | FerrariChat

Stremnaya Road in Bolivia -> "The Road of Death"

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ELIM, Feb 19, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ELIM

ELIM Formula 3

Apr 29, 2005
    OC, CA
    Full Name:
    Elliot
    #1 ELIM, Feb 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Anyone heard of it (or driven it :D)?

Stremnaya Road in Bolivia is called by locals ‘the road of death.’
    Authorities suggest no cell phone use while driving this incredible road, but phone usage and speed are left to the judgment of the driver.
    Stremanya Road is 16 miles long. Since 1998, 3,300 people have been killed while traveling the road.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    WOw , that is scary yet tempting with a lotus Elise

3. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
  4. ELIM

ELIM Formula 3

Apr 29, 2005
    OC, CA
    Full Name:
    Elliot
  5. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    From Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yungas_Road

"The North Yungas Road (also Grove's Road, Coroico Road, Camino de las Yungas, El Camino de la Muerte, Road of Death, and Death Road) is a 38 to 43 mile road (depending on source) leading from La Paz to Coroico, 35 miles (56 km) northeast of La Paz in the Yungas region of Bolivia. It is legendary for its extreme danger and in 1995 the Inter-American Development Bank christened it as the "world's most dangerous road" [1]. One estimate is that 200-300 travellers are killed yearly along the road [2]. The road moreover includes Christian crosses marking many of the spots where such vehicles have fallen. Upon leaving La Paz, the road first ascends up to around 5km, before descending to 1079 ft (330 m), transitioning quickly from cool altiplano terrain to rain forest as it winds through very steep hillsides and atop cliffs.

The road was built in the 1930s during the Chaco War by Paraguayan prisoners. It is one of the few routes that connects the Amazon rainforest region of northern Bolivia, or Yungas, to its capital city. However, an alternative, much safer, road connecting La Paz to Coroico is nearing completion.

Because of the extreme dropoffs, single-lane width, and lack of guardrails, the road is extremely dangerous. Further still, rain and fog can make visibility precarious, the road surface muddy, and loosen rocks from the hillsides above. On July 24, 1983, a bus veered off the Yungas Road and into a canyon, killing more than 100 passengers in what is said to be Bolivia's worst road accident. One of the local road rules specifies that the downhill driver never has the right of way and must move to the outer edge of the road. This forces fast vehicles to stop so that passing can be negotiated safely. The danger of the road ironically though has made it a popular tourist destination starting in the 1990s. Mountain biker enthusiasts, in particular, have made it a favorite destination for downhill biking.

Photographs of China's Guoliang Tunnel are often incorrectly identified as depicting Yungas Road. Yungas Road is also often incorrectly referred to as Stremnaya Road.

A South Yungas Road (also Chulumani Road) exists that connects La Paz to Chulumani, 40 miles (64 km) east of La Paz, and is considered to be nearly as dangerous as the north road"

6. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    Man 'o Man!!!

The road is terror enough by itself, but imagine the Crazed truck and bus traffic, and the oncoming traffic threat!!! Oh My GOD!

I would ride a fast nimble Naked No-frills Motorcycle and wear a GOOD Parachute, in case of others mistakes drop-kicking me over the edge. A double set of Depends are also Mandatory!!! Just to keep things neat and the car clean! A couple of Bandolero ammo belts with a variety of automatic weapons. If I were to travel this road regularly. ;)

Ciao...Paolo

7. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    My grandfather sent me those pictures about a week ago. Insane. I cant believe people actually drive on that.

8. ski_bum

ski_bum Formula 3

Dec 26, 2002
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The History channel had a program last week, I think it was called 'road of death', that featured the Bolivian road. Yikes! :eek:

9. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I saw that program a while back as well. The vid footage is rather shocking to say the least.

10. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Unbelievable!

11. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Design flaw. They should have carved a parallel road above or below, and make each side a one-way route.

12. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    LOL ... they made a one way road and said "bueno, them truckers will figure out a way".

13. ski_bum

ski_bum Formula 3

Dec 26, 2002
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It would appear to me that carving a second road above/below would weaken the road support, especially considering the construction method used on the current road.

Not an engineer, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn once. :)

14. jorge.rios

jorge.rios F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 2, 2006
    Monterrey
    Full Name:
    Jorge
    Damn..Unbelievable...

15. ski_bum

ski_bum Formula 3

Dec 26, 2002
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Michael
    BTW, where are the repost police? Donut break? :)

16. jorge.rios

jorge.rios F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 2, 2006
    Monterrey
    Full Name:
    Jorge
    #17 jorge.rios, Aug 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Being afraid of heights, I'm getting sick just looking at the photos.:(

18. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.

I thought the same as well, it would not be so close as to weaken the mountainside. Spaced out a bit to give that added support for those overloaded Bolivian trucks.

Try the Hyatt ;)

19. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    The hair on my neck just stood up. I was on a road like that in a asian country once and we were 8 persons in a small Toyota Hi-Ace. The driver almost got us killed by not turning sharp enough in to the corner and suddenly we were facing a cliff. All I could see was lots of forest in front of me and luckily he pushed the brakes hard enough. The Hi-Ace was clearly overloaded! It struggled up and down those nasty tiny roads... I only get more frightened when I'm flying long distance flights and suddenly the plane gets lots of turbulence. I hate that.

20. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    There was a tv show on this road on Discovery, or A&E, or one of those channels, just a few months ago.
    The second set of pics look like it, the first set look nothing like it, the road is in Bolivia.
    One of the days they were filming it it was raining, THAT was scary.

I think I'd take the donkey.

I'm surprised nobody has had a race on it ala Pikes Peak.
    Except on this road, you lose, and you REALLY lose...

21. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    IIRC, the proper verbage is 'Holiday Inn Express'.

22. madmaxatl

madmaxatl Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2007
    Buckhead, Palo Alto
    Full Name:
    Don Johnson
    Excuse me while I crap my pants.

23. ski_bum

ski_bum Formula 3

Dec 26, 2002
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yippee!!!! That means the hours spent staring at the govt brainwashing device, umm TV, has only assimilated 2/3 of my brain so far. Phew, I was worried about that! :)