Billy Lane - Choppers Inc. DUI Arrest | FerrariChat

Billy Lane - Choppers Inc. DUI Arrest

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by starboy444, Feb 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Does anyone know the outcome of Billy Lane's arrest?

He was busted for DUI Manslaughter back in September '06...

Wrecked Dodge pickup driven by Billy Lane in fatal crash.

The fatal crash that took the life of Gerry Morelock, son of the Plaintiff, Dolores Morelock happened on State Road A1A, 2.8 Miles south of Melbourne Beach at 9:00 pm. September 4th, 2006 According to the probable cause affidavit filed by investigating Officers of the Florida Highway Patrol. The affidavit states that Billy Lane was operating a 2006 Dodge Mega Cab Pickup at this date and time. Based on sworn witness statements, the defendant was passing three other vehicles at one time and exceeded the speed limit of 50 MPH at the speed of 68 MPH. The defendant continued to pass regardless of northbound traffic.

Billy Lane was drinking prior to the crash at Coconuts on the Beach and traveled to Cheaters where he was drinking additional alcoholic beverages. Mr. Lane left these night clubs and drove to his place of business, Choppers Inc. in Melbourne, FL on his chopper with a passenger, Erin Levens Derrick. Billy Lane changed vehicles and proceeded to travel to his residence with Ms. Derrick The FHP affidavit continues on to say that Defendant, Billy Lane chose to pass in a no passing zone and on a double yellow line. He continued to pass at a high rate of speed. Witnesses stated the the defendant was traveling in excess of 60 MPH while overtaking them. The witnesses stated they could not believe the Defendant was passing on a double yellow no passing zone. All the witnesses stated that the motor scooter’s headlight was on and in operation and that it was in clear view of the oncoming traffic.

Billy Lane continued to overtake the witnesses regardless of the motor scooter traveling northbound on State Road A1A. The Yamaha motor scooter that was driven by Gerry Morelock was on the right side of the northbound lane two feet five inches from the painted white line. Billy veered east in an attempt to avoid a head-on crash with the motor scooter. Defendant, Billy Lane, struck Gerald Morelock head-on with the right front of the Dodge Pickup. Gerry’s motor scooter was forced west upon impact and he was killed instantly by the impact of the Dodge Pickup. The Yamaha motor scooter was destroyed and thrown to the west coming to a rest sixty-four feet away.
    The Dodge truck that was being operated by Billy Lane drove onto private property and started to overturn, striking three palm trees knocking them over. The truck continued to overturn traveling two hundred and four feet striking a power pole with its undercarriage knocking it over and came to rest on top of the power pole on the northbound side of State Road A1A.

The Aftermath

FHP Narrative continued: Upon arrival of the Brevard County Fire Department and Paramedics stated that Billy Lane was in the driver seat. One of the Fire Paramedics stated that he could detect the oder of an alcoholic beverage from the driver’s side of the vehicle while performing medical treatment on Mr. Lane. Billy Lane was transported by ambulance to Holmes Medical Regional Center in Melbourne, FL. Two FHP Troopers were dispatched to the hospital for the purpose of withdrawal of a blood sample from the Defendant and were present at the emergency room to request a blood sample at 10:42 pm. Mr. Lane refused.

The Trooper read Implied Consent and he still refused. The Trooper advised Billy Lane due to the serious nature of this traffic crash, they would be taking a sample of his blood for the D.U.I. Investigation. A registered nurse then drew the blood from the defendant and it was submitted into evidence and sent to the F.D.L.E. Crime lab for analyst.

The Arrest

On Friday, September 22, 2006 the results of the BAC were returned from the crime lab to the investigating Officer. The result was 0.192% which is more than twice the legal limit of impairment for Billy Lane. The results revealed Billy Lane to be under the influence of an alcoholic beverage at the time of his traffic crash. The defendant caused this traffic crash by driving the 2006 Dodge pickup in a willful and wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property and is guilty of reckless driving ( 316.192 ) The defendant chose to pass on a double yellow center line and was guilty of improper passing ( 316.0875.2 ). The defendant, Billy Lane, caused the death of a human being by the reckless operation of his vehicle, vehicular homicide ( 782.071.a ). The defendant was driving the 2006 Dodge Pickup while intoxicated to the Blood Alcohol Level of 0.192 percent and caused the death of a human being, Gerald Vernon Morelock, which is D.U.I. Manslaughter ( 316.193.3. (c)3 ). William D. Lane had a revoked driver license in the State of North Carolina for refusing to submit to a breath test on June 25, 2006.

The State of North Carolina suspended the defendant’s Florida driver license for refusal to submit to a chemical test. The suspension is through July 13, 2007. The defendant is aware of this suspension due to North Carolina taking his Florida driver license at the time of his arrest in that sate.
    The defendant is guilty of driving while license is suspended in the state of North Carolina and drove in a negligent operation of a motor vehicle and caused the death of a human being, Gerald Vernon Morelock, and is guilty of a felony of the third degree.

On Monday September 25, 2006 at 1:00 pm Billy Lane turned himself in at the FHP headquarters on HWY 520 in Cocoa, Florida. He was accompanied by 4 attorneys and charged DUI Manslaughter, DUI Serious Bodily Injury and Driving while License Suspended/Revoked With Serious Injury or Death. Billy Lane was also required to turn in his passport and is not allowed to drink alcohol or drive.

Mr. Lane is scheduled to appear in court for these charges on October 27, 2006 in Brevard County.

2. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    It looks like the criminal trial hasn't started yet.

Civil suit against Billy Lane advances

BY KEYONNA SUMMERS

TITUSVILLE — A Brevard County judge today set an Aug. 20 trial date for a civil suit against motorcycle builder Billy Lane.

The family of fatal accident victim Gerald Morelock’s family in October sued Lane, 37, for pain and suffering after Morelock died in a Labor Day collision with Lane’s vehicle.

Also named in the civil suit is DaimlerChrysler — the maker of Lane’s 2006 Dodge pickup involved in the crash.

Lane faces 15 years in prison if convicted of DUI manslaughter in a separate criminal case. A trial date has not been set.

3. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I read about this when it happened and I didn't know the outcome either. It is a really bad situation all the way around. Billy had it going pretty good and then this screw up and of all things hit a guy on a bike.

4. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    .............damn.........hes in some deep water with that...

5. TopCloser

TopCloser Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2006
    The silly "chopper craze" of 2002 - 2004 has thankfully come to an end. I thought it was hilarious to see people who obviously had no idea how to operate a motorcylce talking about "cHoPpErZ LOL!!!one" as if, because they watched American Chopper or Monster Garage, they were "cool" and "in the know".

Billy Lane is a trashier (if that's possible) version of Jesse James. Trash often screws up bad. This was not a surprise.

6. Rickenbach

Rickenbach F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    West
    Full Name:
    Rickenhoser
    Why was Chrysler named in the suit?

7. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    Chrysler Corporation willfully and intentionally conspired to create, market and sell a truck that could maim, injure or cause permanent death to a person who hit the front of it with a scooter.

8. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Very true, however, out of the 5000 "cutom chopper" builder dudes in North America, he is one of my favourites. He has been featured on Biker Build Off 3 times, and every time he amazes me with his machines.

He's not so commercial and entertaining as most of the cash hog builders... :)))He comes off as trashy but seems to be one of the more intelligent guys out there, from what I hear and see.

I admire his work, and I think Billy's pretty "cool", but he screwed up large....
    this incident is very upsetting and disturbing for both parties involved.

9. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell

This is what's going wrong with this country. A judge with any brains should throw this out on it's ear. Just makes me sick. As for Lane, pathetic. When will people learn.

Darrell.

10. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Deep pockets

11. Rickenbach

Rickenbach F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    West
    Full Name:
    Rickenhoser
    Thats what I thought, but maybe I missed something.

12. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Wow, this really blows! I liked that guy. He did a lot of hand work that I appreciated.

What a shame.

13. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    It's very upsetting to the other party because he is dead!

I hope they lock him up for life!

14. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    DUI and killed someone..................sorry to say, but lock him up and throw away the key. :(:(:(

15. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    5 years of hard time.

16. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I was wondering about this too.

I remember in one of the Biker Build-Off shows, Billy Lane was going up against the Christian bike builder (can't remember his name), but he did mention that Lane's ways would catch up to him.

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Well, Chrysler will probably be cut free from the suit quickly.

I suspect they are named though because Lane is trying to fall back on a defense of the truck being defective in some way.

18. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Dude, they lost 1.5 billion dollars last quarter...how deep could they be now? ;)

19. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Chrysler was named in the suit because they were the owners of the truck. They didn't give Billy a FREE truck, they gave him a truck that was registered to them, and was being insured by them.

The theory is that they were negligent because they knew Billy had a history of drinking and driving (AFAIK he has 2 DUI's previously, as well as gotten off a DUI or two due to his 'celeb status').

As far as Billy goes, he should be locked up for a long time. If you didn't get the full detail, basically he was out on bail from a DUI arrest in Georgia. On this day he tried to pass three cars on a single lane road (crossed the yellow line) and hit a guy on a scooter coming the other way. He was more than double the limit and tried to escape the vehicle and claim that he wasn't driving. He also had to be physically restrained and forced to give a blood sample which he was fighting the state troopers to take.

I see the guy at shows quite often and he's still partying it up and while some say "well he's not drinking anymore" - he was told not to by court order.

20. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Oh man, someone at Chrysler's marketing dept is going to get a kick in the pants for giving the guy a promotional car with a history of DUIs. It does look bad if he was out driving their car and they knew he was prone to DUIs... even worse if he'd ever gotten one in that same truck.

21. djui5

djui5 F1 Veteran

Aug 9, 2006
    Phoenix, Arizona
    So they gave him a promo truck, knowing he had a revoked license?
    Wow...

22. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    I didn't realize that Dodge actually owned the truck. OUCH. This one is going to hurt, as it should. Amazing that a guy with the world by the tail still couldn't learn after how many other DUI's. As a business owner there is no way someone with that record would get behind a vehicle I owned. Unfortunately, this scenario is all too common. It doesn't end until someone is dead.

Darrell.

23. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Yep, its a sad situation all around. On some of the bike forums, Gerald Morelock's (the guy who was killed) mother and brother are members and it really shattered their lives.

Meanwhile I was at the V-Twin expo a few weeks and Billy has his little entourage following him around and chicks looking to get their t*ts signed by him.

Doesn't seem very fair.

I think Billy regrets what he did, but he had at least one previous DUI, was driving with no license, was "let off" with another DUI in NH when the cops knew who he was (and he was being filmed) and so they 'cut him a break' and let him go. He was famous for drinking tons of Jack D and not really caring about driving or riding afterwards. Everyone in the biz knew he was a drunk. Anyone who worked with him should have known he was a drunk. If they didn't know, the arrest record is right there, and he had a suspended license for refusal on the other test, so in this particular case I can totally see why the family would feel Dodge is responsible in some way.

IMO it's not just that they gave him the truck negligently, but wouldn't they also be responsible for insurance? I mean, if I let someone with no insurance (and here in MA I think if your license is suspended your insurance is probably suspended too), but if I let someone with no insurance drive a car I am paying insurance on thats registered to me, and he kills someone, I'd think I'd be held partly responsible too?

24. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    As far as I know, he has had the truck for a while before the particular DUI where he lost his license. Then again, when he lost his license, DC probably should have gotten their truck back - I'm sure someone knew what had happened. Maybe they just told him not to drive it or figured he wouldn't.

I am also not sure what the deal is in reciprocation between GA and FL? It may be he "lost" his license in the courtroom in GA that day but maybe it doesn't take effect until that info gets back to FL? I dunno... but for that DUI (it was on a bike), he refused the breathalyzer and lost his license automatically. I believe the charges were reduced but from folks I know that know him and were there, he was drunk as a skunk. He has several priors that didnt result in arrests too. He was known for being a lush and not letting it stop him getting on a bike or in a car.

I am not sure about how liability laws work, but the civil suit is against Dodge AND Billy Lane. His business is registered in his name, and he has been selling a lot of his bikes off. Some speculate he is trying to squirrel away money and hide it for the upcoming civil judgement and others are speculating his legal bills are huge and he's trying to cover them.

Either way, I have heard FL is not particularly lenient on DUI offenders and he will likely get time. I think he is facing 15 years, and I wouldn't be surprised if he got 5+ or even 10+ because of his priors (maybe they cant introduce priors where there was no conviction in the case?). He's probably also going to get a pretty big civil judgement.

Anyone know how this is likely to play out? Will he get time? How long will the case likely run? What sort of civil judgement might he get? Can Dodge turn around and sue him if they get a big judgement against them?

25. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Holy ****!!!!

That truck knocked down 3 palm trees, and then a power pole?!?!?!? I'm buying a dodge.....

Sad story too, i liked his bikes. I hate to say it but sounds like he is going to have to pay. Maybe a triip to prison is a blessing in disguise for him?