If Porsch is so great... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

If Porsch is so great...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by PhilNotHill, Feb 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    IMHO, Ferrari built thier cars heavy to build extra strength into the car to protect the occupants. A 308 is a heavy car, and even after stripping them out to race them, they are still over 2000 pounds. If I was ever unfortunate enough to get into a high speed accident, I cant think of to many other cars I would want to be belted inside of than a Ferrari. There is a lot more to winning races than horsepower and light weight. Having the car finish is sometimes much more important that being fast. Being alive to drive again tomorrow is rather priceless.

2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Life is not worth living unless you own a Ferrari and are an F1 race fan. :)
    Now, go take on the day.

Ciao
    Phil Not Hill aka Dr. Phil
    I have a need for speed.

3. J Nicks

J Nicks Karting

Dec 4, 2003

I have seen Ferrari sitting on used car lot, sorry to burst your bubble.

4. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    But not on a Porshe dealer's lot. I wonder if they move them to a broker because they don't want everyone looking at the F-car rather than a Porsche?

the F-car dealer always has some inventory of used Ferraris. See www.ferrariofdenver.com.

5. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
  6. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Just visit Champion Porsche, like I said before, almost always you'll find Ferraris in there.

7. Air_Cooled_Nut

Air_Cooled_Nut Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Toby Erkson
    I'm sure the French would say otherwise!

8. Air_Cooled_Nut

Nov 25, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Toby Erkson
    It only makes sense that people would want to come out and see a sports car that has smaller production numbers and are far fewer on the road ;) How much you wanna bet that if a McLaren drove into a Ferrari lot people would be coming out?

9. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    :)

I am going to share this anecdote with my Porsche fanatic colleague.:)

Looks just fine in silver.

LOL!

10. Air_Cooled_Nut

Nov 25, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Toby Erkson
    Hmm, I consider eBay the evolved (?), modern version of the quaint "classifieds" and we see F-cars advertised there all the time. They've been in Craig's List as well.

11. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Over the last 30 years I have seen quite a few Ferrari listed for sale in the Mpls. Star & Tribune. Even a 288 GTO, and a F-40 some years back. In another local paper back in 1975, I once had seen a 63 GT California roadster listed for $10K. Cars.com lists paper ads from around the US, and there are always a few Ferrari available.

12. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Toby has the reason that ferrari draws more crowds. What surprised me when I took the Ferrari, I had at that time the 360, to look at the Porsche Gt was I cleared out the large sales force and most of the mechanics. I bet there were 35 people looking at the car ignoring the PGT.

I felt sorry for the owner who was trying to tell me the virues of the PGT, goes fast, and causes so much attention blah blah and he could not get around to the people who had begun milling around the F-car to get to the PGT.

Anyway the PGT have come down in price alot the best the dealer would do at the time was drop the cost by $30k. Today almost new they are running at an asking price of $110k under sticker.

Interesting my other cars like the Lotus or 65 Shelby cause only a few stares. The Ferrari was a circus. i should take up the F430 to taunt them :)

FYI I have an old 1999 Porsche as my "get Milk" car and I repect Porsches alot. I bought it new and the car has been perfect and is still a delight to drive. The newewr 997 varant is a better car but strangly does not make my older 996 model 911 feel dated.

Lee

13. Daytona Drew

Daytona Drew Karting

Feb 12, 2007
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    #63 Daytona Drew, Feb 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    How come...

When I took my Pinto to a Lambo dealer in Newport Beach, everyone came out to see it and laugh and have a test drive. But when I took it to a Ford dealer, the staff told me to leave immediately?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #64 PhilNotHill, Feb 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I will take exception on the notion of Ferrari (and Italy) being the ultimate style leader. There have been many beautiful Ferrari, Lamborghini, Alfa, Maserati, etc...BUT -

There have been a LOT of ugly Ferrari's too - check out some of the early fifties cars with tailfins and chrome all over. Same for the Alfa batmobiles. This was at the same time Porsche was refining the classic profile - in the German way; developmentally.

Porsche at least had something well designed enough to be still selling as a refinement of the original shapes and layout. They have also made some outstandingly beautiful special cars - I will give you as an example the Porsche 904 GT racer. Ot Dan Gurney's Formula One winner.

So take back this nonsense immediately or the Volkspolice will come for you in a Tiger mark VI.

16. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0GQZqJU__4

SAVE THE PLANET- DIVE A PORSCHE

Obviously, everyone should drive a Porsche to reduce pollution, especially in LA, Calcutta, etc. Maybe we should pass a law that everyone HAS to drive one. :)

ENJOY.

17. scottmar

scottmar Karting

Sep 11, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Scottmar
    Joe:
    Your question about forged components. I don't know the exact mfg. process, but if you want something strong you forge it from a single piece of metal under heat and pressure. It is, I understand, much stronger than a cast component. Cast components can have air bubbles cast into them making them inherently weak.
    You will read about forged crankshafts etc. The reason is the added strength.
    Believe me I know there are plenty of forged components on Ferrari's as well, but don't expect them on a "Ford pickup".
    Scott

18. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Why did you do that?!! Porche dealers are amazingly stupid and arrogant!!! They build garbage, pretend to service that garbage, and then blame you for their stupidity!!! I went through the most harrowing experience on my honeymoon in 1985 with my 1985 928,when the problem was solved by a reasonably Goodyear dealer. I swore I would never again go near a Porsche again. I have not!!

19. cornercompacts

cornercompacts Karting
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2005
    CT
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    there is a 575 for sale at my local porsche dealer